Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help picking scope and reticle

I am in the process of starting to get back into shooting now that the kid is older and need a new scope to sit on top of my Savage 10BR in 308. As much as I would LOVE a Nightforce, especially the NXS, I just can't find one in my price range of about a thousand dollars. So.....I am thinking about the Vortex PST 6-24 x 50, unless someone has a better suggestion, but can't decide between the EBR-1 MOA reticle or the EBR-2 MOA.

I will only be using it for paper target and possibly F-class as I don't hunt. While I am not there currently I want a scope that will grow with me as much as possibly on my journey 1000 yard + ranges as my skills slowly develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I am in the process of starting to get back into shooting now that the kid is older and need a new scope to sit on top of my Savage 10BR in 308. As much as I would LOVE a Nightforce, especially the NXS, I just can't find one in my price range of about a thousand dollars. So.....I am thinking about the Vortex PST 6-24 x 50, unless someone has a better suggestion, but can't decide between the EBR-1 MOA reticle or the EBR-2 MOA.

I will only be using it for paper target and possibly F-class as I don't hunt. While I am not there currently I want a scope that will grow with me as much as possibly on my journey 1000 yard + ranges as my skills slowly develop.

I use the PST 6-24x50 with the EBR-1 MOA on my Savage LRP in 6.5 CM and love it...HOWEVER...if you search this forum you will find that mine is apparently the only one in existence that is fit for more than the manipulation of the rectal polyps of politicians. Same with my F-150. Why i can't have this luck with 6/49 is unexplainable.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

kennymo (11-05-2016), Madrach (11-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Camo tung View Post
    I use the PST 6-24x50 with the EBR-1 MOA on my Savage LRP in 6.5 CM and love it...HOWEVER...if you search this forum you will find that mine is apparently the only one in existence that is fit for more than the manipulation of the rectal polyps of politicians. Same with my F-150. Why i can't have this luck with 6/49 is unexplainable.
    I was under the impression that the Vortex line and their quality was way up there???

Have you looked at Sightron scopes? They're a little heavier, but the quality of glass is definitely there for the price.
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Have you looked at Sightron scopes? They're a little heavier, but the quality of glass is definitely there for the price.
    No, based on this new information that Vortex sucks, I'll have to reset everything and start again and look into Sughtron.

Like I said, I REALLY want the Nightforce NSX or a Nightforce that would work well for LR target but They all seem to be 2900.00!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    No, based on this new information that Vortex sucks, I'll have to reset everything and start again and look into Sughtron.

Like I said, I REALLY want the Nightforce NSX or a Nightforce that would work well for LR target but They all seem to be 2900.00!!!

Some have not had the same experience I have had with Vortex. Some will tell you to be thankful for the warranty as you will use it, maybe more than once. I have never had an issue with mine, and I bought another PST for my AR. I can't speak to how hard other people use their equipment but both of these scopes have excellent glass and have never been in for warranty work. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. YMMV.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm not ruling it out entirely at this point, I am just re-starting my research with the PST on the level with everything else. I've been hard pressed to find negative feedback on the Vortex PST however, that being said, I've also not been looking at the post dates that close either.

While I do definitely appreciate the VIP warranty, I also don't want to pay a thousand dollars for a scope that spends all its time at Vortex HQ or in transit for a repair.

Does anyone know if a Nightforce that would be in the thousand dollar range that will function well with LD target?

Canadian ForcesGOC Supreme commander zulu's Avatar
    I got the hst vortex and have had no problems with it. Tracks just fine. Ive had it for a few years now probably 2k 308 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by zulu View Post
    I got the hst vortex and have had no problems with it. Tracks just fine. Ive had it for a few years now probably 2k 308 rounds
    I was originally looking at the HS-T but can't find it in FFP anywhere in Calgary.....for whatever reason I seem to want the FFP so I can use it at any magnification.....give me some points on why I should not go with FFP.

Outside of that, I am not really sure I care about illumination or etched vs wire reticle but it seems like everyone LOVES the PST in the LD world

I have had good luck with Vortex, just got another one and it is more than adequate for the gun I put it on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast