Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I was fishing for brookies in a small stream once. Was down on my knees pitching a bait under some brush overhanging the water. Next I look up and see a coyote running full out at me staring right in my eyes! I stand up immediately and it takes a 90 degree turn. It slows a little ways down and looks back at me and continues on. I won't forget that encounter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard them howling the other night, it's been a while. I'm not happy, my traps aren't ready and I got no time to sit out and try and call them
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by wolver View Post
    But not allowed a gun, unless somethings in season.
    So ridiculous eh?

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pitw View Post
    The smart ones waited to the water froze to come here.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

6. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

FlyingHigh (11-20-2016)

Honky Tonk Outlaw BuckingFastard's Avatar
    Been lost in the woods before, funny how fast panic can set in, I had to stop sit build a fire and calm down and think things through. I found my way out a few hours later using the sun set as reference never went back in the bush with out a compass again. I've had a few run in's with yotes but nothing ever intimidating just curious. The rare occasion I suppose they do attack as I'm sure everyone remembers this story

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...reton-1.779304
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way"

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Never had a worry about coyotes, and right or wrong, wolves for that matter.
    Been in the same forest block with 2 buddies who were crappin themselves over the wolves following them, and I forgot about the moose and was following wolf tracks...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I was raised a half mile from a coulee, so of course from about the age of 5 or 6 anytime I could sneak down there I would. (animals, springs, quicksand, seashells, scorpions, rattlesnakes, pretty much bottomless washes what more could a farmboy want?) Anyway, when small one coyote was never an issue. 2 or more they'd start circling/hunting. After the first time I saw that I never went there without the dog until I was 12 and bought a 303 at a farm auction, then the coyotes quit hunting me and I started hunting them.

Have played with large packs of barracuda in the ocean, same behaviour once in a pack. With a buddy they just hang motionless; swim out towards the pack and you suddenly notice twos or three's at a time slipping away from the pack on either end circling you in a wide birth. Pretty interesting. (I'm talking Huge packs with many members in the 5' range)
    Wether either case could have ended in attack is moot, it's the pack behaviour.

My conclusion is that any pack predator will hunt anything it thinks the pack can take down; how much risk they'll take simply depends on how hungry they are. Solitary coyotes are most likely hunting mice, rabbits, etc. Don't fool yourself, if a lone coyote came across something it needed help with a couple howls and his buddies would appear out of nowhere. No such thing as a solitary coyote, if you see one they're just spread out seeking game. They live in a pack, and three of them will take down a deer or antelope if they get the chance. Their favorite is when does are giving birth; can't run and the fawn is in the process of being both born and eaten.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    I was raised a half mile from a coulee, so of course from about the age of 5 or 6 anytime I could sneak down there I would. (animals, springs, quicksand, seashells, scorpions, rattlesnakes, pretty much bottomless washes what more could a farmboy want?) Anyway, when small one coyote was never an issue. 2 or more they'd start circling/hunting. After the first time I saw that I never went there without the dog until I was 12 and bought a 303 at a farm auction, then the coyotes quit hunting me and I started hunting them.

Have played with large packs of barracuda in the ocean, same behaviour once in a pack. With a buddy they just hang motionless; swim out towards the pack and you suddenly notice twos or three's at a time slipping away from the pack on either end circling you in a wide birth. Pretty interesting. (I'm talking Huge packs with many members in the 5' range)
    Wether either case could have ended in attack is moot, it's the pack behaviour.

My conclusion is that any pack predator will hunt anything it thinks the pack can take down; how much risk they'll take simply depends on how hungry they are. Solitary coyotes are most likely hunting mice, rabbits, etc. Don't fool yourself, if a lone coyote came across something it needed help with a couple howls and his buddies would appear out of nowhere. No such thing as a solitary coyote, if you see one they're just spread out seeking game. They live in a pack, and three of them will take down a deer or antelope if they get the chance. Their favorite is when does are giving birth; can't run and the fawn is in the process of being both born and eaten.
    I've seen that happen with calves. The yotes used to hang around and wait for the afterbirth. A few years back when they were thick as thieves I saw them on a neighbors cow while she was calving. He was a terrible cow man. I expect the calf needed to be pulled and he was nowhere to be seen.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123