Will an AR scope work for a hunting rifle?

I recently picked up a Ruger American 5.56.
    I'm looking for a 3-9 optic for realistic shooting.(wouldn't need anything more)
    Would an AR 556 scope work for a hunting rifle? considering that the optic is calibrated for that caliber.

The scope will work, with a longer barrel your velocities could potentially be higher, if the 'AR' calibration is for a much shorter barrel you may find the various elevation marks slightly out of whack. But most of the scopes with factory determined markings or turrets for different ranges are just a ballpark anyway. Variations in ammo, barrel length, etc... will cause slight differences in the point of impact. So it will work just fine, you'll have to shoot it to figure out where the bullets are actually hitting. For hunting purposes with a relatively flat shooting cartridge I usually zero around 200 yards and there's minimum correction needed for shots all the way out to 300 yards. 400 with the 257 Bee.... Though I think that one's zeroed closer to 250....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Swampdonkey (11-12-2016)

Absolutely.

ARs make great hunting rifles too.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Swampdonkey

mrg372k9 (11-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey View Post
    Absolutely.

ARs make great hunting rifles too.
    Absolutely,just wish some common sense would prevail and I could in Canada the way they're allowed to in New Zeland.

7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By ESnel

DOA (11-13-2016), Swampdonkey (11-11-2016)

"...the optic is calibrated for that caliber..." Suspect you'll find that's more marketing than reality. Which Ruger American? Barrel length?
    Common sense doesn't apply. Never has. Nun-chuks, shuriken, blow guns and morning stars have been prohibited weapons since 1978 for some daft reason known only to Ron Basford.

^
    To prevent cultural appropriation.

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Swampdonkey

kennymo (11-11-2016)

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I usually zero around 200 yards and there's minimum correction needed for shots all the way out to 300 yards. 400 with the 257 Bee.... Though I think that one's zeroed closer to 250....
    You zero at 200 yards? Dude that's like something long range shooters do

That's pretty substantial zero'ing properly at 200, really benching the gun and eliminating all variables so you know POA is really POI gets harder the further you get.

For the OP, if you really wanna get into it. You can reverse engineer your scope and basically turn it into any other scope or a BDC of your liking.

It's gonna take some math, trial and error and objects/distances of an ABSOLUTE known figure but it can be done. You basically figure out what MOA and/or MRAD any given subtension your scopes built in BDC is, assuming the distance between subtension is equal all you need to do is figure that out once. Then you basically have an MOA or MRAD scope with those values you found.

You zero at 200 yards?
    Given the size of the vital zone for a deer, it eliminates any real need to adjust point of aim from 0-300 yards with many cartridges. With the slower ones, it means a minimum of holdover on shots past about 250. Real handy when you don't have a bunch of time to be dinking around with turrets or figuring out which of the little hash marks you're supposed to be using on these 'ballistic reticles'. A lung shot is a lung shot is a lung shot . Gets even better on larger animals or a real barn burner of a cartridge. As mentioned, I can (in theory, haven't made it there yet ) take a deer anywhere from zero to 400 yards with the 257 Weatherby without any significant compensation on an even longer zero. It's somewhere out between 250 and 300 yards IIRC. I'll have to have a look at the book. 2.5 or 3 inches high at 200....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Swampdonkey (11-12-2016)