Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anything I'd change would be internal, as it already matches the 1911A1 cosmetically, maybe a parkerizing job. I'm not into beavertails and racing stripes, and would want it to lean towards reliability rather than competition accurate.

I was searching for the closest thing to the original 1911A1 and saw Norinco come up quite often, that and the Colt Series 70.

Quote Originally Posted by bettercallsaul View Post
    Anything I'd change would be internal, as it already matches the 1911A1 cosmetically, maybe a parkerizing job. I'm not into beavertails and racing stripes, and would want it to lean towards reliability rather than competition accurate.

I was searching for the closest thing to the original 1911A1 and saw Norinco come up quite often, that and the Colt Series 70.
    Once you get the bite you will soon realise why everyone love the beaver tail.

the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Once you get the bite you will soon realise why everyone love the beaver tail.
    I've done okay without one on the 1911s I've shot so far. I can see why people like them though, especially the ones with the memory groove.

I will admit I am a sucker for the Ed Brown bobtail, especially on the commander models.

What is the consensus on the SAM 1911s? Been looking at their 9mm offerings lately and would like to know what folks think of them. The price is definitely right.

Also, will any brand of 1911 mag work in any gun, as long as the calibre is the same? Mec-Gar and Norinco come to mind for spare mags.
    I like guns.

A shooter in our club has a SAM Commander in 9mm. Overall impression is way better than a NORC. Finish, fit and function is like day and night. But, it costs a little more than a NORC. NORC is a good entry-level pistol specially if you are learning the tricks of gunsmith trade. I am not suggesting a DIY norm, but only if you have the proper mechanical aptitude and enough knowledge of what is safe and not. Most 1911s parts, magazine included are interchangeable. Again, some exceptions applies. Manufacturing tolerances differs from one company to the other. Mec-Gar offers best value magazines in the market. From 1911s to other platforms, their proven compatibility is worth exploring.

Great info!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy_n_blue View Post
    A shooter in our club has a SAM Commander in 9mm. Overall impression is way better than a NORC. Finish, fit and function is like day and night. But, it costs a little more than a NORC. NORC is a good entry-level pistol specially if you are learning the tricks of gunsmith trade. I am not suggesting a DIY norm, but only if you have the proper mechanical aptitude and enough knowledge of what is safe and not. Most 1911s parts, magazine included are interchangeable. Again, some exceptions applies. Manufacturing tolerances differs from one company to the other. Mec-Gar offers best value magazines in the market. From 1911s to other platforms, their proven compatibility is worth exploring.
    That's great to hear. Thanks!
    I like guns.

Satain, your tips and tricks are bang on, I never take my 1911's out to the range until nearly all my polishing has been done. This also shortens the break in period. One other thing that I do is to test the slide to frame fit, a detailed strip is done I check to see if there is anything impeding the movement of the slide if there is I take a bit flitz and move the slide back and forth on the frame 25 to 50 times. The slide should move freely and smoothly on the frame.
    In War: Resolution,
    In Defeat: Defiance,
    In Victory: Magnanimity
    In Peace: Good Will.

Remington Clips are 29.95 locally, and they are slick, but nothing wrong with Norinco either.
    Last edited by MarkR; 06-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12