Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I want the freedom to self protect at, and away from the home without being an instant criminal, and to have the ability as a member of the group of "the most law biding and responsible members of society", to be able to responsibly have those tools available at all times. I can do it for work already, why should I have to be vulnerable every other time?

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Scotty-B

LB303 (11-27-2016)

Nice to see you post, we exchanged a message on facebook last week.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Stephen

Scotty-B (11-26-2016)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Greetings Mr O'toole. Thank you for showing an interest in our circumstances. As one of the older members on the site, and as a licensed firearms dealer, I have to echo what greywolf67nt said. We've heard a lot of talk before with only partial results that come at a snails pace, if at all. I'm going to ask you a few straight forward questions that are also statements, about things that are a constant thorn in our side and are constantly discussed (read: complained about) throughout this site, and throughout the firearms owning community in general. Sorry to be so blunt, but vague answers are the political norm that we've seen over and over, and they don't carry any real weight with us anymore. When we get canned form letters back from MP's we treat them with distain and fully realize we're just being paid lip service. Please say what you mean clearly.

1. Do you have a good understanding and knowledge of the current firearms act and sections of the criminal code that pertain to firearms ? If you do, you will understand why I'm asking the following questions. If you do not, then before making any promises, you really should read the current (and somewhat insane) firearms act and understand it so you know what silliness we've been dealing with for the past few decades. Without fully understanding a problem, it is impossible to come up with viable solutions.

2. Will you repeal magazine capacity limits ?

3. Will you de-restrict the AR10 & AR15 series of rifles so that gun owners can legally hunt with them ?

4. Are your intentions to work with, and modify the current (and extremely flawed) firearms act, or are you looking at doing a complete replacement of the act with common sense legislation that does not treat honest firearms owners as nothing more than criminals who are yet to be caught...and are on the 'to do' list of the RCMP ?

5. Will you end the prohibited classification of firearms, and allow current legal gun owners with restricted endorsements (who can never get a prohibited endorsement under the current laws) on their licenses to own firearms that are now classed as prohibited ?

6. Will you pass legislation that stops police from using the blanket "in the interest of public safety" excuse to blindly confiscate (and often damage in the process) a licensed firearm owners valuable property (guns & ammunition) for the slightest reason, before a court issues a order to do so ? The RCMP illegally broke into 2000 homes during the High River (Alberta) floods and actively searched for and confiscated people's firearms. That is but one example of them abusing their power and they experienced absolutely no personal reprocussions. At the very least, if the officers involved are not to be held accountable as it is now, would you support all law suit damage settlements being deducted directly from the RCMP's operation budget, rather than being directly paid out with taxpayer's money ?

7. Will you remove the current system of provincial chief firearms officers, and replace them with one centralized, educated, civilian body that manages the firearms act in Canada in a sensible, and consistent way rather than giving individual agenda driven police officers the power to make up rules as they go along like it is with the current system ?

I could go on all night, but I know your time is limited. The vast majority of firearms owners on this site are honest, responsible, hard working, ordinary people. All are also upstanding and well respected target shooters and hunters. We have an excellent understanding of the current firearms act, because we have to. I have no doubt that each and every one of us will be glad to reciprocate your offer, and answer any questions that YOU may have of us. Thank you for your time sir.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 11-26-2016 at 12:09 AM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

6. The Following 22 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

88 louie (11-26-2016), bettercallsaul (11-26-2016), Billythreefeathers (11-27-2016), BrotherRockeye (11-26-2016), DanN (11-26-2016), FlyingHigh (11-26-2016), glockfan (12-01-2016), greywolf67nt (11-26-2016), GTW (11-27-2016), Haywire1 (11-26-2016), Hidyn (11-26-2016), LB303 (11-27-2016), lone-wolf (11-26-2016), mailman (11-29-2016), Malus (11-27-2016), mavrik9 (11-27-2016), Neil Burke (11-30-2016), RealDeckard (11-26-2016), Relic49 (11-27-2016), soulchaser (11-26-2016), speedloader (11-26-2016), Tonsper (11-26-2016)

He said on Facebook that he'll be back to answer some questions.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Greetings Mr O'toole. Thank you for showing an interest in our circumstances. As one of the older members on the site, and as a licensed firearms dealer, I have to echo what greywolf67nt said. We've heard a lot of talk before with only partial results that come at a snails pace, if at all. I'm going to ask you a few straight forward questions that are also statements, about things that are a constant thorn in our side and are constantly discussed (read: complained about) throughout this site, and throughout the firearms owning community in general. Sorry to be so blunt, but vague answers are the political norm that we've seen over and over, and they don't carry any real weight with us anymore. When we get canned form letters back from MP's we treat them with distain and fully realize we're just being paid lip service. Please say what you mean clearly.

1. Do you have a good understanding and knowledge of the current firearms act and sections of the criminal code that pertain to firearms ? If you do, you will understand why I'm asking the following questions. If you do not, then before making any promises, you really should read the current (and somewhat insane) firearms act and understand it so you know what silliness we've been dealing with for the past few decades. Without fully understanding a problem, it is impossible to come up with viable solutions.

3. Will you de-restrict the AR10 & AR15 series of rifles so that gun owners can legally hunt with them ?

4. Are your intentions to work with, and modify the current (and extremely flawed) firearms act, or are you looking at doing a complete replacement of the act with common sense legislation that does not treat honest firearms owners as nothing more than criminals who are yet to be caught...and are on the 'to do' list of the RCMP ?

5. Will you end the prohibited classification of firearms, and allow current legal gun owners with restricted endorsements (who can never get a prohibited endorsement under the current laws) on their licenses to own firearms that are now classed as prohibited ?

6. Will you pass legislation that stops police from using the blanket "in the interest of public safety" excuse to blindly confiscate (and often damage in the process) a licensed firearm owners valuable property (guns & ammunition) for the slightest reason, before a court issues a order to do so ? The RCMP illegally broke into 2000 homes during the High River (Alberta) floods and actively searched for and confiscated people's firearms. That is but one example of them abusing their power and they experienced absolutely no personal reprocussions. At the very least, if the officers involved are not to be held accountable as it is now, would you support all law suit damage settlements being deducted directly from the RCMP's operation budget, rather than being directly paid out with taxpayer's money ?

7. Will you remove the current system of provincial chief firearms officers, and replace them with one centralized, educated, civilian body that manages the firearms act in Canada in a sensible, and consistent way rather than giving individual agenda driven police officers the power to make up rules as they go along like it is with the current system ?

I could go on all night, but I know your time is limited. The vast majority of firearms owners on this site are honest, responsible, hard working, ordinary people. All are also upstanding and well respected target shooters and hunters. We have an excellent understanding of the current firearms act, because we have to. I have no doubt that each and every one of us will be glad to reciprocate your offer, and answer any questions that YOU may have of us. Thank you for your time sir.
    This ^^^
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; For you are crunchy. And good with Mustard!

"A new broom sweeps clean, but only a battle-trowel can hide the bodies" - Foxer describing Blacksmithden

CCFR, CSSA & NRA Member...
    Frontenac Rifle & Pistol Club

Mr O'Toole, welcome to GOC. You have earned major points in my book by taking enough of a personal interest in the concerns of firearms owners to join this site. I think you'll find that firearms owners have reasonable requests, despite some people coming off as quite jaded. We've all be jerked around by a very flawed system for a very long time and quite frankly are growing extremely tired of it. To have a politician actually have the courage to not only say he'll stand with us, but to also come into our online "clubhouse" as it were is encouraging.

I very much look forward to seeing your responses to some of the posts here. If you only have time for a few responses, the best place to start in my opinion would be blacksmithden's post. He sums up many of our concerns.

My three main questions are:

1. Will you support moving to the Simplified Firearms Classification system? The current system does not allow for the proper common sense classification of firearms and instead uses emotion and opinion.

2. Will you support removing the CFO's and the power of classification from the RCMP and instead putting it in the hands of people who do not have an agenda? For too long we've been at the mercy of these corrupt and heavily anti-gun biased people.

3. Will you support the legalization of the use of suppressors in Canada for sport shooting and hunting? The current case in Regina where people are complaining about the RCMP using the range which is near housing is a perfect example of why suppressors should be legalized. That's to say nothing of the increased safety with regard to loss of hearing damage and the advantages of hunting without spooking all the local game
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

10. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By FlyingHigh

BrotherRockeye (11-26-2016), LB303 (11-27-2016), Neil Burke (11-30-2016), Relic49 (11-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post

This^^^^
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

Remove need, repeal prohibition, repeal criminalization in a private member's bill.

Promises are all very well and good.

But, a private member's bill, with every MP voting on it, would give a clear indication of who to support in the next election.

Or in this leadership campaign.
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isn’t hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

Will you keep your promises to us or let insiders, handlers and shills worm those promises into 'pledges' that couldn't be kept because of 'the reality of politics?' I'm not trying to be rude, but that's what you will face.

I'm really pleased to see the discussion this post is generating. I want to give this a few more days for everyone in the community to chime in. I am reading all of your posts and will make time in the near future to answer your questions. I want to reflect on what I've seen so far, discuss with my team and give you a thoughtful, honest answer.

I think you're tired of being promised the moon and being let down. I may not go as far as everyone in this community would like, but I am on your side when the chips are down. I do not believe our current system is effective. It needs to be redesigned with your input. That will be my approach as leader and as prime minister. It will be difficult to make progress in this area with the Liberals having a majority government.

The first step is to elect a conservative leader who shares your values AND who can beat Justin Trudeau in 2019. I hope to convince you by the end of this campaign that I am that candidate. I don't expect to win you over overnight.

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By ErinOTooleCPC

glockfan (12-01-2016), Stephen (11-26-2016)

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast