Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    It'd be nice not having to worry about the rcmp busting doors down anymore because a rivet in a magazine may or may not exist.
    Or ruining someone's life because a .22lr magazine may or may not have been designed to work in a pistol and a rifle.

BSD's 7 questions are a great start for answering.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Hidyn (12-11-2016), Neil Burke (11-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    It'd be nice not having to worry about the rcmp busting doors down anymore because a rivet in a magazine may or may not exist.
    I'm not worried about the RCMP busting down my doors. As far as I know everything in my house is legal, and I surf CGN keeping an eye out for the recently prohibited (either by Gazette or RCMP interpretation); and my neighbours are pretty nice folk.

I'm more worried about having a fire. One of my neighbour's homes caught fire and we had four fire trucks and two ambulances and a few police cars on my street with everyone outside watching at 2am on a cool morning a year ago. The neighbour had no fire extinguisher. The end result being the interior of the house including the floors and drywall had to be replaced, and everything they owned was junk.
    If a neighbour's home catches fire (nothing I can do about preventing that), and my home catches fire as a result, with me in hospital intensive care unit, my home destroyed, having to clean it up -- then the police show up and decide to secure my firearms.
    Somewhere at that point one of two things happens
    - something I have that has been shown in RCMP literature as the way to do things, is now illegal, or
    - a police officer thinks something is illegal when its legal, and charges me anyway
    So then, in addition to my huge health and financial and life upheaval woes, I'm gut punched with criminal code charges as well.

It would be nice not having to worry about that.

Yes, I have house insurance and firearms legal defence insurance.
    Last edited by RangeBob; 11-26-2016 at 01:50 PM.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Hidyn (12-11-2016)

Good day Mr. O'Toole, and welcome to GOC.

Your decision to join and participate here is of great significance.

Nowhere else will you find a well reasoned group of people on a wide range of topics who are also vetted by the RCMP daily. Cabinet ministers aren't even so well scrutinized.

So please, answer as many questions here that you can, but also ask about why some of us take the positions we do and try to understand, even if you disagree or don't support those positions. If you give us an opportunity to be heard, we could become your greatest allies.

So, my question is - will you become part of our community, engage and participate with us?
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Gov’t couldn’t make sense if you gave them a recipe.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By DanN

ErinOTooleCPC (11-26-2016)

I think an important question that is similar to danN's is do you own or have you owned firearms? Have you ever been to a gun range or gone hunting? And if your answer is no to these would you be willing to?

It's obvious that you want to help and get our support, but is it because you want to represent us or do you honestly have an interest in the firearms community?

I think it would go very well with a lot of people on here and even conservatives in general if you were involved rather then just receiving feedback from us.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Joshua13

JustBen (11-26-2016), Relic49 (11-27-2016)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned allowing pistols in the bush once again for protection from wildlife. We aren't always hunting and carrying rifles. There are many activities many Canadians participate in that won't allow us to carry a cumbersome rifle. A simple overnight/long distance back country hike, cross country skiing or mountain biking are a few, and as back up protection for archers. The average non-restricted hunting rifle has 4-8x the energy of the average pistol and an effective range in excess of 20x. Surely no one actually thinks a pistol is more dangerous than a rifle.

Suppressors... Even with hearing protection, we still receive hearing damaging sound levels from most moderate caliber firearms. Suppressors do not even come close to eliminating the sound, rather they lower them to a safer level. Hollywood is not a true representation believe it or not.

AR-15's... They once were legal for hunting in Canada, but how many times have they been used in a crime in Canada prior to becoming restricted? Since becoming restricted? Surely anyone can think of dozens of common objects which have played part in more violent crimes per day than the AR-15 had in its 20 years as a non restricted firearm, as well as 30 years restricted.
    They are a lightweight small caliber rifle which operate with the same principals as numerous other light weight small caliber rifles. The popularity of them lies mostly in the fact they are easily personalized with various accessories/into various configurations. The typical non restricted hunting rifle has 3x the energy.

Magazine restrictions are absolutely pointless and unenforceable against those with criminal intent. It takes less than 1 second with a grinder, or 20seconds with a file, or 4 seconds with a drill, or 5 seconds with a pice of scrap metal picked up off the shoulder of the road and a rock to remove the robots which limit the magazine capacity. The penalty for removin the pin means nothing to a violent criminal does it? The only people following the rules are the very people who have no violent intent in the first place.

Get tough on vilolent criminals, leave us and our firearms alone.

10. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Buster

Hidyn (12-11-2016), Joshua13 (11-26-2016), LB303 (11-27-2016), mailman (11-29-2016), Relic49 (11-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Greetings Mr O'toole. Thank you for showing an interest in our circumstances. As one of the older members on the site, and as a licensed firearms dealer, I have to echo what greywolf67nt said. We've heard a lot of talk before with only partial results that come at a snails pace, if at all. I'm going to ask you a few straight forward questions that are also statements, about things that are a constant thorn in our side and are constantly discussed (read: complained about) throughout this site, and throughout the firearms owning community in general. Sorry to be so blunt, but vague answers are the political norm that we've seen over and over, and they don't carry any real weight with us anymore. When we get canned form letters back from MP's we treat them with distain and fully realize we're just being paid lip service. Please say what you mean clearly.

1. Do you have a good understanding and knowledge of the current firearms act and sections of the criminal code that pertain to firearms ? If you do, you will understand why I'm asking the following questions. If you do not, then before making any promises, you really should read the current (and somewhat insane) firearms act and understand it so you know what silliness we've been dealing with for the past few decades. Without fully understanding a problem, it is impossible to come up with viable solutions.

2. Will you repeal magazine capacity limits ?

3. Will you de-restrict the AR10 & AR15 series of rifles so that gun owners can legally hunt with them ?

4. Are your intentions to work with, and modify the current (and extremely flawed) firearms act, or are you looking at doing a complete replacement of the act with common sense legislation that does not treat honest firearms owners as nothing more than criminals who are yet to be caught...and are on the 'to do' list of the RCMP ?

5. Will you end the prohibited classification of firearms, and allow current legal gun owners with restricted endorsements (who can never get a prohibited endorsement under the current laws) on their licenses to own firearms that are now classed as prohibited ?

6. Will you pass legislation that stops police from using the blanket "in the interest of public safety" excuse to blindly confiscate (and often damage in the process) a licensed firearm owners valuable property (guns & ammunition) for the slightest reason, before a court issues a order to do so ? The RCMP illegally broke into 2000 homes during the High River (Alberta) floods and actively searched for and confiscated people's firearms. That is but one example of them abusing their power and they experienced absolutely no personal reprocussions. At the very least, if the officers involved are not to be held accountable as it is now, would you support all law suit damage settlements being deducted directly from the RCMP's operation budget, rather than being directly paid out with taxpayer's money ?

7. Will you remove the current system of provincial chief firearms officers, and replace them with one centralized, educated, civilian body that manages the firearms act in Canada in a sensible, and consistent way rather than giving individual agenda driven police officers the power to make up rules as they go along like it is with the current system ?

I could go on all night, but I know your time is limited. The vast majority of firearms owners on this site are honest, responsible, hard working, ordinary people. All are also upstanding and well respected target shooters and hunters. We have an excellent understanding of the current firearms act, because we have to. I have no doubt that each and every one of us will be glad to reciprocate your offer, and answer any questions that YOU may have of us. Thank you for your time sir.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Promises are all very well and good.

But, a private member's bill, with every MP voting on it, would give a clear indication of who to support in the next election.

Or in this leadership campaign.
    May I suggest that you introduce a private member's bill to repeal section 28 of the act?
    To show that men can travel to the moon and return, use the American experience.

To show that public safety isn’t hurt by responsible individuals carrying to protect life, use the American experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Greetings Mr O'toole. Thank you for showing an interest in our circumstances. As one of the older members on the site, and as a licensed firearms dealer, I have to echo what greywolf67nt said. We've heard a lot of talk before with only partial results that come at a snails pace, if at all. I'm going to ask you a few straight forward questions that are also statements, about things that are a constant thorn in our side and are constantly discussed (read: complained about) throughout this site, and throughout the firearms owning community in general. Sorry to be so blunt, but vague answers are the political norm that we've seen over and over, and they don't carry any real weight with us anymore. When we get canned form letters back from MP's we treat them with distain and fully realize we're just being paid lip service. Please say what you mean clearly.

1. Do you have a good understanding and knowledge of the current firearms act and sections of the criminal code that pertain to firearms ? If you do, you will understand why I'm asking the following questions. If you do not, then before making any promises, you really should read the current (and somewhat insane) firearms act and understand it so you know what silliness we've been dealing with for the past few decades. Without fully understanding a problem, it is impossible to come up with viable solutions.

2. Will you repeal magazine capacity limits ?

3. Will you de-restrict the AR10 & AR15 series of rifles so that gun owners can legally hunt with them ?

4. Are your intentions to work with, and modify the current (and extremely flawed) firearms act, or are you looking at doing a complete replacement of the act with common sense legislation that does not treat honest firearms owners as nothing more than criminals who are yet to be caught...and are on the 'to do' list of the RCMP ?

5. Will you end the prohibited classification of firearms, and allow current legal gun owners with restricted endorsements (who can never get a prohibited endorsement under the current laws) on their licenses to own firearms that are now classed as prohibited ?

6. Will you pass legislation that stops police from using the blanket "in the interest of public safety" excuse to blindly confiscate (and often damage in the process) a licensed firearm owners valuable property (guns & ammunition) for the slightest reason, before a court issues a order to do so ? The RCMP illegally broke into 2000 homes during the High River (Alberta) floods and actively searched for and confiscated people's firearms. That is but one example of them abusing their power and they experienced absolutely no personal reprocussions. At the very least, if the officers involved are not to be held accountable as it is now, would you support all law suit damage settlements being deducted directly from the RCMP's operation budget, rather than being directly paid out with taxpayer's money ?

7. Will you remove the current system of provincial chief firearms officers, and replace them with one centralized, educated, civilian body that manages the firearms act in Canada in a sensible, and consistent way rather than giving individual agenda driven police officers the power to make up rules as they go along like it is with the current system ?

I could go on all night, but I know your time is limited. The vast majority of firearms owners on this site are honest, responsible, hard working, ordinary people. All are also upstanding and well respected target shooters and hunters. We have an excellent understanding of the current firearms act, because we have to. I have no doubt that each and every one of us will be glad to reciprocate your offer, and answer any questions that YOU may have of us. Thank you for your time sir.
    Hear hear. Time for straight answers, not double speak.
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

This is a tough crowd. You remind me of a classic movie scene.

Skip to 1:22.

Retired Maryland State Police Captain Jack McCauley speaking in the Maryland Senate for CCW reform:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUaPDiW-GY

I don't think it's a tough crowd at all. You should see the mess in his thread over on CGN. Yikes...
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast