Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheapest milsurp

I've already got a sks and am looking to get a bolt action rifle that ammo is available and cheap. I would love something German!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosin 91/30 you can still find for under $200 and there seems to be a lot of 7.62X54R around.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

Yep a Mosin will run you $200 + tx most places. Or an Enfield can be had for less but ammo wont be cheap unless you reload.

Mauser 98's start at around $600 for a beat up mismatched Russian captured and refurbished job. Minty K98's and the older Gew 98's are small fortune.
    Mosin 91/30's are cheap like borscht, M38 and M44 carbines command a premium, then it's another step up to get into the older and lengthier ones.
    If you're willing to hold out for a good deal you can still find a full wood Lee Enfield for $4-500. They kind of run the gamut price wise, all sorts of different makers and sub models with different collector value.
    Italian Carcanos run pretty cheap too, and they're a slightly better rifle than rumour would have you believe.
    Steyr M95's come in carbine and rifle length, are pretty inexpensive and have a colourful history. Ammo is not terribly easy to find but PPU stuff has started to become more widely available.
    The Swiss rifles are nice with the K31 being the cream of the crop. Supply seems to have waned though, and prices are rising.
    Swedish Mausers seem to be in a similar boat, they were plentiful forever, but we seem to be closing in on the end of supply and the dealers are asking a few extra dollars....

So long story short, the Mosin is probably the cheapest and is the only one with plenty of low cost surplus ammo around. Great deal, it's a tough as nails rifle that you can use for a club if the foot long spike on the other end breaks off in someone's spleen.... Ammo costs and availability are the worst thing about most of these guns. Look to PPU/PRVI and S&B for the most reasonable commercial ammo. Swiss GP11 can still be had, and even though it's nearly the cost of new factory stuff it's completely worth it. That is some beautiful ammunition..... Oh, an Enfield with the forward wood lopped off will set you back somewhere between $100 and $200. Still fun to shoot if the bore's good, if you have weird accuracy problems the draws in the forend might need repair....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

3MTA3 (12-05-2016), Rory McCanuck (12-05-2016)

I've been seeing lots of sporterized Lee Enfields popping up for $150-200 the past month or so. You can pick up full wood kits from time to time as well if you wanted to start off cheap and then upgrade a little later on. Other than that, the Mosin Nagant is going to be your cheapest bolt action from what I've seen .

There's some beautiful yugo mausers at corwin arms right now for a heck of a deal.
    Sadly, my wife doesn't see this the same way.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
    There's some beautiful yugo mausers at corwin arms right now for a heck of a deal.
    Sadly, my wife doesn't see this the same way.
    Sorry to hear!! I'm extremely excited about mine, can't wait for it to arrive!

As for dirt cheap milsurps, there's a sporterized LE for sale elsewhere for $175 right now, just saw the listing pop up.

For the cheapest bolt action , a Mosin would probably be your best chance as they have been refurbished , checked over , and are original . Lots of cut down LE around ; but many are pretty rough and shot out in many cases .
    " Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ The warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm. " .... " And I looked , and behold a pale horse ; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."...." Where we go one , we go all "....

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunexpert007

lipervitch (01-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunexpert007 View Post
    For the cheapest bolt action , a Mosin would probably be your best chance as they have been refurbished , checked over , and are original . Lots of cut down LE around ; but many are pretty rough and shot out in many cases .
    And .303 ammo is getting very hard to find in some places and has gone up a lot in cost now when you do find a box or two!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast