Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
    Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Beauty! One day, I'll find time to make sausage.

How do you like the Cabelas gear? I considered getting some Weston equipment, but I can't justify the ridiculous prices. Other than Cabelas, I don't know who make this type of stuff.
    I do like the Cabelas gear. Had no issues with them. I process 20-25 pounds of deer and pork at a time in a day. May do another day or two if making different recipes.

The Cabelas equipment that I have are:
    1. 1 HP commercial grade grinder. It is overkill as I can go through 20 pounds of meat in less than 10 minutes. A 3/4HP or even a 1/2HP would suffice. I originally started with a Weston grinder but it struggled when grinding partially frozen meat. You have to keep the meat partially frozen to prevent smearing of the fat in the grind.
    2. 20 pound sausage stuffer. A ten pound stuffer would do if if you are making small batches. I started with a LEM 5 pound horizontal stuffer but it was a pain due to constant refilling. Most grinders come with a sausage stuffing attachment but I would avoid that due to slow and inconsistent stuffing.
    3. 44 pound meat mixer that can attached to the grinder but I usually the hand crank. I wish I had the 20 pound mixer for smaller batches. You can also mix the grind in a meat tote. This is not a problem when making fresh sausage. However, when making cured smoked sausage, you need complete protein extraction of the meat. That means longer mixing which is painful on the hands with the chilled grind.
    4. Stainless steel table. Gives a large sanitary work surface. Disassembles for storage. Nice when stuffing large coils of sausage before linking.
    5. Commercial grade vacuum sealer. Found that the ones found at Canadian Tire etc. overheated too much when packaging.

Bought all items at different times when on sale.

As to the smoker, the sky is the limit. The one shown in the pervious post is a 30 pound The Sausage Maker Country Style smoker. Paid about $1200 for it. Very precise temperature control. You don't need anything that fancy but I would recommend any smoker that has insulated walls. Helps to keep consistent internal smoker temperature and can be used in cold weather. I have done smoking in temps down to -15C with a pie tin under the chimney to prevent smoke condensate from coming down onto the sausage.
    Last edited by YQR Reloader; 11-23-2021 at 10:11 AM.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By YQR Reloader

awndray (11-23-2021)

Captain Highliner fish and chips!! Blah!
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Captain Highliner fish and chips!! Blah!
    (dislike)

20211121_194531.jpg

Pest control and shopping, with arts & crafts to follow.

My crossbow has killed more meat than any other weapon I've owned.
    "My principles are only those that, before the French revolution, every well-born person considered sane and normal".

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849