Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwirecom109 View Post
    just buying the supreme master blows the budget with getting components.. something to think about
    But then you have it... and it is a one time cost.

I figure handloading costs 1/2 to 2/3's the cost of comparable factory ammo. Only you can get a more consistent product. Your mileage will vary, depending on the quality of your components.

I really like RCBS, and most of my equipment is RCBS, except for my Lee press. Another place to look is Kijiji and garage sales. I picked up a huge tub of reloading stuff for $50 about 5 years ago. Probably about $1000 if all bought new.

Only one guy in the area that has a reloading kit for sale, and it doesn't say the price, it was a good idea. I miss www.buysell.com they had a firearms section and it always had reloading stuff there for local guys.

I'll keep looking. I am pretty convinced I want to start reloading, but which way to go is just the learning curve to start.

Really it boils down to being to 2 options.

1. I get a Lee some extra bits, bullets, primers and powder and i can start reloading some 223, 38spl and 45 to start.

2. i get the RCBS and have abit left over but not enough to do more then some test loads on some stuff.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    To start I would just use the lee kit and get cranking out some rounds . Once you get into it you will find out what you need for kit and your skill and comfort level will go up

Google Lee Classic turret press model 90064 videos. I crank out everything from 38sp to 6.5-284 match on it. I put the turret turner in for pistol reloading(makes it a progressive) and take it out for rifle reloading(makes it a single stage).
    Google any of the suggestions and watch the videos.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    There is no place in an anti's head where reason can enter. from a Napoleon saying with a tweak.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because thatís the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I don`t use much Lee stuff but the classic cast press is not bad, the lee saftey scale has a poor rep thou. Most of my stuff i bought years ago in fact the price on my ohaus scale is $29.99 now that press is over $100. Watch at gunshows for used equipment, i have seen some good deals. Just know your prices of new stuff.

If it were me, I'd bide my time until I could afford a decent quality press, powder measure and scale, possibly a Rockchucker kit or equivalent.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.T. Chambers View Post
    If it were me, I'd bide my time until I could afford a decent quality press, powder measure and scale, possibly a Rockchucker kit or equivalent.
    That's what I wish I'd done to be honest. I broke the handle off that little C frame press Lee sells. The very first day, I split the turret on a Lee turret press resizing 300 win mag brass. I returned that and bought a Rockchucker and I'm still using that, and will probably be in the grave before it is. I bought another Lee turret press for pistol only (got a deal at the Buffalo Gun Center) and used that for a couple years before it spit out a small ball, spring, and a bit of plastic....then it stopped indexing. I got my hands on an old Texan C frame press from an estate sale, and that's still working well. Next will be a Dillon product, but that's still a year or two away.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

well i went over to wholesale last night to look at some stuff and play with it.

Confused me even more.

So i went on Youtube and watched some guys work the presses and it helped alot.

I just wish some of you edmonton area guys would leave that calgary was better so i had a mentor to show me whats what lol

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

I can`t believe that there are no GOC members besides yourself in Calgary. I have helped more than one guy get started in reloading, bit of a road trip thou as it`s a 7hr. drive for me to Calgary. The Youtube stuff is good but it does help to have a real person standing behind you or near by for any problems. Some gunshops have reloading seminars, it`s mainly a way to sell product but it will get you started.

i have 2 Lee`s on my bench ( 26 years worth ) ,,,there pretty good presses ,,,gonna update to the classic cast press i think its like 125 bucks....
    The basics for me would be Press, Scale (RCBS 505), Dies, case length trimmer(lee), (primer pocket brush(rcbs) no holder), lube(rcbs), brass holding tray of sum sort, Lee hand primer (priceless), Brass, Bullets Powder,Primers....
    look around gunshows for stuff...I really like the Lee collet dies if the brass aint loaded hot and is going back into same rifle just sizes the neck and u dont use any lube ...
    I fell off the earth and went ...POOF!!!!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast