Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2017 Gardening and Back Yard Critters

It's that time of year again, time to get the seeds started, and the spring hatches planned.

The plans this year are to start the peppers, tomatoes, and most of the wife's bedding plants in trays. We will start getting this going over the next few weeks.

As I wait for the turkeys to start laying, and debate what to do for chickens. I'm getting the incubators ready, testing them out and swapping out analog temperature controls for digital. The units should work for both incubating eggs and starting the veggies and flowers.

Later this spring, hopefully, we will have some pheasants to release from the 4H/ACA raise and release program. The 4H kids are pretty excited for this project. Occasionally a missed bird from the Pheasant Festival is spotted in the yard, they sure are nice to see around.

If time and effort permit a few wiener pigs will be added into the zoo, too.

What are your 2017 backyard garden and critter plans?

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Hillbillyreefer

pitw (01-20-2017), ruger#1 (01-20-2017), triq (04-13-2017)

It's a little early for me to start bedding plants, I had tomatoes growing last winter in the kitchen but they didn't produce any edibles till they got moved outside in the spring. I didn't gain much. As for critters we will have some new calves early Feb. no chickens or turkeys allowed on my farm unless they be dead and ready to cook. My daughter just brought home a year old border collie today, it should be fun watching her and the dog learn how to herd cows.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By road kill

R&R Rancher (01-19-2017), Rory McCanuck (01-20-2017)

Your awfully early, I'm on the bc south coast and won't start my pepers/Tom's till march, and that's to go in green house later, if I started them now they'd be 7 feet tall and 7 leaves by the time they went in greenhouse

I'm going to be gone alot for the next year so the wife is carrying on without me in smaller scale. No turkeys or ducks this year, and no hatching chickens, pheasants, guineas, or geese either. Sold all my incubators except my little brower tophatch for the occasional clutch - had some older style sportsman incubators and hatchers I retrofitted with PID controllers from ebay - new owner is raising quail in them and super pleased. I'll use silkies for hatching other small batches of pheasant or chicken eggs. Might do a couple of calves and a couple of pigs this fall and hope to have my own milk cow in the next year. Garden will be tomatoes, squash, corn, lettuce, carrots, and potatoes, as well as berries.

Critter action mostly happens out at the farm, so I'm only part time.... But this year the wife's aunt sent a handful of English black bantams to the farm for my daughter's enjoyment. Our very own chickens! And they're laying already! Half a dozen of those babies and you've got enough for an egg sammich, they aren't much bigger than a quarter.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bottle calves enjoying the fine weather outside, their first time outside since we got them.

9. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Hillbillyreefer

firemachine69 (05-07-2017), pitw (01-20-2017), R&R Rancher (01-20-2017), Rory McCanuck (01-20-2017), ruger#1 (01-20-2017)

Nice looking calves, but but but they be black. They would be nicer if they were white. We are wintering 4 black Dexter cows and calves for a friend and they kind of stand out in our herd of Charolais critters. Oh well they all be tastey.

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By road kill

firemachine69 (05-07-2017), Hillbillyreefer (01-20-2017), R&R Rancher (01-20-2017)

Space10, a Danish design lab supported by IKEA, has officially open-sourced The Growroom, “an artistic exploration of the incredible potential of urban farming.” The pavilion is ‘sliced’ to provide optimal light and water flow for the weeks worth of herbs and vegetables it’s capable of growing, but also to create a serene shelter for anyone who steps inside.

The innovative structure was tailored by architects Mads-Ulrik Husum and Sine Lindholm, and is made with nothing more than plywood and screws. The best part? All of the building instructions are available completely free online, making The Growroom a practical and sustainable DIY project.
    IKEA Just Released Free Instructions For A Spectacular Sustainable Garden | Bored Panda

13. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By awndray

kennymo (03-06-2017), Rory McCanuck (03-06-2017), triq (04-13-2017)

That's cool awndray! My wife wants a gazebo, maybe I could talk her into one of those.

The peppers and tomatoes have risen from the earth.(soil in a tray). The 1000 or so tobacco seeds have just begun to pop up.

The calves above have been weaned and are doing well on high test grain and alfalfa hay.

The old hens have finally passed the winter doldrums and molt. Turkey hens layer a couple eggs but haven't layed any recently.

I added 4 Jersey Giant hens and a roo last week, started on their chicken tractor yesterday, it won't be done for a week or so.
    Last edited by Hillbillyreefer; 03-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.

I think those shelve are to close together for pot....er I mean potted plants.

16. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By road kill

firemachine69 (05-07-2017), triq (04-13-2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast