Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm fairly certain that if the stats were available, we'd see it was hunters of all backgrounds getting caught hunting illegally.
    Sure . . .

May as well call John Steinbeck a historian.

Which race is disproportionately represented in prison, despite the Gladue ruling?

You are right, it is disproportionate. More of that particular race receive preferential treatment than offenders of other races - that's disproportionate.

Quote Originally Posted by BgBlkDg View Post
    So, according to Neepinak, we are merely "settlers", a highly offensive term often used by genocidal African dictators, Mugabe and Idi Amin, for example, to describe civilized, productive citizens of largely European ancestry.
    So are they, they just don't like to talk about it:

The "first people" were the European Solutreans, who crossed an ice bridge from France 17,000 years ago and settled the East coast and settled as far west as the midwest and Great lakes.
    The "Indians" moved in from Asia around 10,000 years ago and not only wiped out the Solutreans, but several thousands species of animals by over hunting. Their "history" is based on lies, much like the present.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; For you are crunchy. And good with Mustard!

"A new broom sweeps clean, but only a battle-trowel can hide the bodies" - Foxer describing Blacksmithden

CCFR, CSSA & NRA Member...
    Frontenac Rifle & Pistol Club

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Coke

firemachine69 (01-23-2017), Forbes/Hutton (01-27-2017), Swampdonkey (01-22-2017)

And now for the public shaming...

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister blasted for 'disgusting' and 'racist' comments

Pallister needs to learn more about treaty rights in Manitoba, critics say

Indigenous activists and members of Manitoba's NDP and Liberal parties are calling recent comments made by Premier Brian Pallister about night hunting inflammatory, disgusting and racist.

In an interview with Maclean's reporter Nancy Macdonald, Pallister is quoted as saying, "young Indigenous men a preponderance of them are offenders, with criminal records are going off shooting guns in the middle of the night. It doesn't make sense."

"It is absolutely disgusting language. It is shocking language to be coming from a premier from any province across Canada," said Nahanni Fontaine, NDP MLA for Winnipeg's St. Johns area.

"To be able to blanket all young Indigenous men as criminals, as gun-toting, shooting thugs, is no different than what Donald Trump did throughout his campaign. It is one and the same: racialized, disgusting narrative."

Nahanni Fontaine, NDP MLA for Winnipeg's St. Johns area, said Brian Pallister 'absolutely unequivocally owes an apology to Manitobans for uttering such disgusting divisive language

"These comments are racist and irresponsible, and the premier has ceded any credibility in dealing with the issue of hunting rights in a way that respects all Manitobans," said NDP MLA Wab Kinew, who represents Winnipeg's Fort Rouge area.

Macdonald visited Pallister at his Costa Rica vacation home, where he spends several weeks a year. The remarks came on the heels of controversial comments he made at a Progressive Conservative Party luncheon on Jan. 16.

Speaking at that event, the premier said divisions between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people over hunting at night are "becoming a race war."

"These comments are shocking and appalling," said Niki Ashton, NDP MP for Churchill-Keewatinook Aski in northern Manitoba.

"Here's a premier sitting in his mansion in Costa Rica making racist comments about Indigenous people in our province. I want Canadians to know that Brian Pallister does not speak for us as Manitobans."

CBC has requested an interview with the Progressive Conservative Party but no one has yet been made available for comment.

Leah Gazan, an Indigenous activist and University of Winnipeg professor, said instead of being in Costa Rica, Pallister should be educating himself on treaty rights in Manitoba.

Leah Gazan, an Indigenous activist and University of Winnipeg professor, says instead of being in Costa Rica, Pallister should be educating himself on treaty rights in Manitoba.

"You can't take a whole group of people, make those kinds of statements with all sorts of stereotypes and think that's OK," she said.

"First of all, he's stigmatized a whole group of people, and secondly, he clearly needs to be more well-versed about treaty and hunting rights that were agreed upon in treaty."

Johanna Wood, a spokeswoman for the Manitoba Liberal Party, called Pallister's words "inflammatory to Indigenous peoples.

"We're in an era where we still clearly have a long way to go as far as mending Indigenous relationships in Manitoba," she said.

"This type of language is divisive. We're one race, we're the human race. We're trying to see a respectful tone, especially at the highest levels of leadership in our province. More inclusive language can be a start."

Call for public apology

Kinew and Fontaine have called on Pallister to make a public apology.

​"It is heartbreaking that the premier of Manitoba is so utterly divorced and clueless in respect of young Indigenous men and the strength and resiliency of young Indigenous men. The comment, absolutely it highlights how completely divorced Brian Pallister is from the people he claims to represents," Fontaine said.

"He absolutely unequivocally owes an apology to Manitobans for uttering such disgusting divisive language and, more specifically, to Manitoba Indigenous young men."

Kinew also said the premier should enrol in sensitively training "and commit to the sort of training on Indigenous cultures and anti-racism outlined in the Truth and Reconciliation [Commission] calls to action."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...toba-1.3954539

^^ $20 says that comments are closed on that one...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

kennymo, IIRC, the CBC closed down just about any comments on indigenous stories a few years ago. They would deteriorate into real ugly hate fests - like most anonymous, un-modded(?) comment sections on the internet do.

After reading any story, I always scroll down to see which way the comments are going and almost always ask myself, "Did you really expect any different?'

From my experience, with these issues over the past several decades, it IS THE aboriginals, who ARE the most "racist" by far.

I was working in the Can. Coast Guard. off Vancouver Island, in 1986-87, when a bunch of Roosevelt Elk, introduced and maintained by volunteers from local F&W clubs, were slaughtered and left to ROT by some persons on the Island. There, was a huge hullabaloo and even the "Nootka" tribe, while denying any responsibility by their band members, offered a reward on this appalling atrocity,

A few years later, it was determined that, surprise, surprise, it WAS members of this tribe who had done this.........the upshot was that the then BC government, changed the regs. so that these "keepers of the land" were GIVEN a special quota of these elk and not much else was done.

Well, when it happened, I had many conversations with hardworking, local folks and until I knew that the "stewards" HAD done this, I WAS "pro" Indian..........I changed and am now a radical "alt-right" Canuck and am disgusted by the behaviour of these "natural conservationists". I am NOT "alone" in this and I think that a conflict is coming and it will be ugly.
    Last edited by BgBlkDg; 01-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    Hunter facing charge after 4 moose shot on rural Alberta property

CBCJanuary 26, 2017

Residents in a rural community near Cold Lake, Alta., are on edge after four moose were shot and killed on private property without permission.

While one man faces a charge of unauthorized possession of a firearm in relation to the incident Monday, residents say they fear the killing spree may not be over.

"From where their shots were taken and where the moose were killed, that's a direct line to our house," said Eric Novak, who lives less than 500 metres from where the moose were killed in a hay field.

Novak said he was at his home, on a township road about 12 kilometres south of Cold Lake, when he heard five shots that sounded like rifle fire.

"I hopped in my pickup and wheeled over there," he said. "There were two vehicles at the scene, kind of pointed towards each other, and once they saw my headlights they both kind of took off.

"So I rolled up a little closer and I could see the four dead moose — a bull, a cow, and twin calves laying in the field."

Novak said one of the moose wasn't dead. The bull was struggling to stand.

"They had put a bad shot in him," he said. "I went back home and got a gun and put him down."

Novak called RCMP and the local Fish and Wildlife office while he waited with the carcasses. Then he noticed a moose cow standing in the trees nearby.

"She kept coming back," said Novak, a seasoned hunter. "It was a large cow and those were probably her calves. That's typical if you shoot a calf or a fawn, that the mother won't leave."

RCMP Staff Sgt. Jeremie Landry said Novak's call came in just after 4:30 p.m. Officers drove to the scene, where they found the four dead moose.

One of the men who shot the moose then returned, Landry said. RCMP seized his rifle and ammunition. Landry said charges are pending for unauthorized possession of a firearm.

"These four moose were shot on private property," Landry said. "Permission was not granted to be on that property by the homeowner, although the homeowner declined to proceed with charges relating to trespassing."

The homeowner, who asked not to be named, confirmed to CBC that a group of men asked to hunt on his property the day before the moose were shot.

He said he turned them away because there are too many family homes near his property and moose-hunting season is over.

The hunters were permitted to take the carcasses from the property for their own use.

Fish and Wildlife officers concluded their own investigation but also didn't lay charges.

"In order to proceed with charges related to hunting on occupied land without permission, officers need an official statement from the landowner saying that permission was not, in fact, granted," spokesperson Brendan Cox wrote in a statement to CBC News.

"In this case, it was the landowner's decision not to provide an official statement. There was no evidence of any other offences."

The hunters were allowed to shoot moose in the off-season because they are Indigenous.

"Indigenous people with Treaty status have a constitutionally protected right to hunt big game for food and are not subject to bag limits," the statement said. "The hunters in this case showed officers proof of their Treaty status."

But some people in the community said they're worried the hunters will come back if they don't face repercussions.

"I'm angry. Very angry, as well as scared for my safety," said Abbie Weenk, who lives next door to Novak.

Weenk often takes her two toddlers for walks through the field where the four moose were shot.

"There's another family of moose in this field, along with hundreds of deer, so now they could come back knowing full-well they'll get away with it," she said.

Novak, who also has two toddlers, estimated about five moose still live near the neighbourhood.

"It's only a matter of time before these folks come back and try to kill the remainder because they're there and they're tame," he said. "At what point do they stop? When they're all gone, or when something worse happens and one of my kids gets shot by a stray bullet?

"Now, every time my kids cross that tree line, I'm going to be worried."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hunter-fac...130000594.html
    Remember: the opposite of "Far Right" is Far Wrong.

Banned
    We are talking about Manitoba in this post. Obviously an issue throughout the country.

The hunters were permitted to take the carcasses from the property for their own use.

Fish and Wildlife officers concluded their own investigation but also didn't lay charges.

Jeezuz, how does that not embolden them?

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Pizzed

Coke (01-27-2017), Rory McCanuck (01-27-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast