Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Subsonic .308 using Trail Boss Powder

Here's an interesting article about using Trail Boss powder for subsonic .308 rounds. The author also used it for .223 which was interesting.
    I may have to load some of these up just for fun!

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...orting-rifles/

That does look interesting, subsonic 338 federal would certainly have some oomph too
    in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello
    - In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war

I've used TB for subsonic rounds in 30=30, 300WSM, 223....maybe others.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By WSA

RemmyPCR700 (10-07-2019)

I'd be interested in seeing the load data for .223 if you have it kicking around...

I dont understand this at all; just buy another cartridge.

If you want to win an offroad competition, it makes no sense to start with a sportscar, which is what rifle styled cartridges are.

If you want a big ball of lead to be subsonic, there are far better options to go with that are in line with the envelope.

Taking something that is supposed to go 2700fps and making it go 1100fps is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying I dont appreciate people being creative, but I can't understand why you would do such a challenge, unless you're under some absurd constraint like you can only have one gun.

Buy something in 50 Beowulf or 44 Magnum and you'll be way better suited to create a great subsonic round.
    Donít order from Wolverine Supplies. PM me for details.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but I have to agree. subsonic doesn't make sense. if you want subsonic throw a lance or javelin at it.

Memeber of CSSA, OFAH

More Shooting! Less Posting!

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyPCR700 View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing the load data for .223 if you have it kicking around...
    You use the formula that Hodgdon provides- they explain it in the link in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I dont understand this at all; just buy another cartridge.

If you want to win an offroad competition, it makes no sense to start with a sportscar, which is what rifle styled cartridges are.

If you want a big ball of lead to be subsonic, there are far better options to go with that are in line with the envelope.

Taking something that is supposed to go 2700fps and making it go 1100fps is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not saying I dont appreciate people being creative, but I can't understand why you would do such a challenge, unless you're under some absurd constraint like you can only have one gun.

Buy something in 50 Beowulf or 44 Magnum and you'll be way better suited to create a great subsonic round.

They are great for when you are moose hunting and run into some grouse that you want to eat for dinner, you plop in a few subsonics then you don't blow the crap out of the grouse if you don't smoke them in the head with your centerfire rifle.

They are also great for using around the house to deal with pests big and small. A 160 gr cast bullet moving at 1000 fps that makes less noise than a .22LR can be a handy tool, and will kill the crap out of coyote or raccoon.

'Cuz it's fun to play.
    A round ball moving about 600fps, a shotshell, 3 ball loads, a 200gr bullet doing 2800fps, a 240gr plinker doing 1200 fps, a 300gr bullet doing 2000fps, all from the same gun.
    That's all stuff that I have done with one gun, why would you say that someone else shouldn't be allowed to do weird stuff?

Even with a Corvette, you don't have to rev it to 6 grand and sidestep the clutch at every light.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

Lee Enfield (10-08-2019), RemmyPCR700 (10-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RemmyPCR700 View Post
    Do yourself a favour and don't bother.

Subsonic 223 is glorified 22 rimfire. It also carries serious risk of sticking the projectile in a dirty barrel ...... which if you aren't paying attention can result in you needing a new barrel.

Subsonic 308 Win is oK but 300 Blackout is a better solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast