Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RobertMcC

9mm 124grn Campro HP and Winchester 231 Load

So I'm planning on making a load for my 9mm. Everybody says 4.3grn of WIN 231 with the 124grn HP, works well in their semi auto. Also pretty sure what Xmetal uses in their reloads. Now my question is being that I'm using a revolver. Could I make a load tenth of a grn lower so 4.2 ? For a softer shooting round?

I won't get my supplies till tomorrow and I gotta load up a bunch of test rounds. Hit up the range to chrony/accuracy test, Before Friday.

Also sit there and do dry fire testing because first time using a revolver in a comp.

Hogdon lists 3.9 as a starting load with WW231 and the 124 gr. bullet (4.4 listed as max load), so you should be good to go. I would start at 4.0 to begin with and load up from there to be safe.
    Have you considered using a 147 gr. CamPro if you are looking for softer recoil? Don't know if you have those available in your time frame but you might want to try that. I have had ery good accuracy with the WW231/CamPro 124 gr combination. Even better with the 147 gr. CamPro.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Hogdon lists 3.9 as a starting load with WW231 and the 124 gr. bullet (4.4 listed as max load), so you should be good to go. I would start at 4.0 to begin with and load up from there to be safe.
    Have you considered using a 147 gr. CamPro if you are looking for softer recoil? Don't know if you have those available in your time frame but you might want to try that. I have had ery good accuracy with the WW231/CamPro 124 gr combination. Even better with the 147 gr. CamPro.
    But campro website for the bullets and W231 list 4.4-4.8. Hogdon list 3.9-4.4. Well I was considering the 147s, but store only has 124 grn HP at the moment. Better than 115's and kinda need them now. Guess when the club does their next xmetal order I can get some 147s.

I guess I could make some 4.0 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3's.

I always load 4 gr. of titegroup for 9mm 124Gr. which is a lot similar to 231 win. 45's are 4.6 of the same powder for 230Gr it's enough for punching holes in paper and I get good accuracy.
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

RobertMcC
    I haven't reloaded in mega years. So what am I looking for in a load? Other than Accuracy and reliability? How would I know not enough powder?

Plan to bring my Chrony and rest for the testing.

Is this for the revolver?
    Guys load their 38spl dang light, if not for cycling a semi, I'd go as low as you can.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

7. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Canuck (10-09-2017), Kobs (10-09-2017), Rory McCanuck (10-10-2017), speedloader (10-09-2017)

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    Is this for the revolver?
    Guys load their 38spl dang light, if not for cycling a semi, I'd go as low as you can.
    Yeah for the Alfa.

4 grains will cycle my Sig 226 slide so I would start with that and go down, do tests
    I'll do what I have to do and deal with the consequences of my actions later

Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    4 grains will cycle my Sig 226 slide so I would start with that and go down, do tests
    I also load 4 grains of titegroup and 124gn hp campro To use in my m&p 9, I have had no issues.

RobertMcC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Thanks, Ill try that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast