Industry expert

Gun hacks. Dont lose your AR15 peices ever again

Here is a simple solution for you guys that lose tiny peices to your rifles when you field strip them

Speaking of, anyone getting quality pipe cleaners out there? I'm working through the last batch I picked up but they leave fuzzy bits everywhere, I like them for cleaning out black powder nipples and getting into crevices and wee holes on the corrosive firing Russian semi autos.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I rarely lose a part once I've set it down. SPRINGS !!!! Springs are the bane of my existence when doing the actual disassembly/reassembly. Parts go flying when you aren't ready for it and disappear into the giant flying part vortex that transports them to some other corner of the cosmos. I've gone as far as to get clear plastic bags so that I can disassemble and reassemble things like ejectors inside them. Theres a tube magazine end plug somewhere in my garage that went flying 2 years ago. I've moved damned near everything in the garage since then, and thoroughly cleaned every corner. Nope...I'm sure it's orbiting the moon of some far off distant planet.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

KeNd0 (01-27-2017)

I've had to use a magnet to find a tiny lower spring that took off into the carpet one day when I was assembling a lower in the living room in front of the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Speaking of, anyone getting quality pipe cleaners out there? I'm working through the last batch I picked up but they leave fuzzy bits everywhere, I like them for cleaning out black powder nipples and getting into crevices and wee holes on the corrosive firing Russian semi autos.....
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1715.aspx
    Retired Maryland State Police Captain Jack McCauley speaking in the Maryland Senate for CCW reform:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdUaPDiW-GY

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    SPRINGS !!!! Parts go flying when you aren't ready for it and disappear into the giant flying part vortex that transports them to some other corner of the cosmos.
    [non sequitor]

"Jesus clips"

aka those retaining washers (e-clips or horseshoe clips) that you need a special tool (sort of like pliers with pins called a Horseshoe Lock Ring Plier) to remove, that are nicknamed Jesus clips because that's what you say when it flies across the room or down a carburetor.

There's a movie that explains this nicely, but I can't recall its title.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Coke (01-25-2017)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    [non sequitor]

"Jesus clips"

aka those retaining washers (e-clips or horseshoe clips) that you need a special tool (sort of like pliers with pins called a Horseshoe Lock Ring Plier) to remove, that are nicknamed Jesus clips because that's what you say when it flies across the room or down a carburetor.

There's a movie that explains this nicely, but I can't recall its title.
    I am WELL aware of the Jesus clip issue, and not just on guns. I've managed to find a few other names for them over the years....with added sound effects.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Back when I smoked the occasional tobacco pipe, I bought good ones from EA Carey. They're not dollar store cheap, but they're real good quality. I never had them leave fuzz anywhere.

http://www.eacarey.com/pipecleaners.html
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Back when I smoked the occasional tobacco pipe, I bought good ones from EA Carey. They're not dollar store cheap, but they're real good quality. I never had them leave fuzz anywhere.

http://www.eacarey.com/pipecleaners.html
    I can live with $5/100. Maybe I'll saunter into the local tobacco shop and see if they have something better than the arts and craft stores....it is payday and I haven't had a Carnuba Crystal Cafe in a long while....

I guess looking for good pipe cleaners in a pipe shop should be a no brainer .
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Kind of cool I suppose. I haven't seen a pipe cleaner in probably 20 years though