Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

My tumbler is dying (sniff) :(

It is with a heavy heart that I must announce that my faithful old Lyman Turbo 1200 vibratory tumbler is sounding like it's on it's last legs. It's speeding up and slowing down every 10 seconds or so. When it slows down, it almost sounds like it's giving a painful groan. I bought it in 2006, and it's easily tumbled hundreds of thousands of pieces by now. Until this summer, every piece of brass I've ever shot, and every piece I've ever scavenged off the range has gone though it at least once. It's been used and abused, and it owes me absolutely nothing, and then some. I once forgot to turn it off when I went to Ft Mac for a week. I came back and it was still going strong. The walnut was half turned to dust after 6 1/2 days of running, but DAMN, was the brass ever clean. LOL. Not once has this little thing ever complained before now. I've got some 308 brass in there, and I'm hoping it'll last until it finishes. Maybe with luck, I'll get one more batch to go through, but i fear that by morning, it's spirit will have left for good.

I tried spraying some bushing lube on the shaft to see if it would help. I did quite it down a fair bit when it makes it back to its regular speed, but it's still going up and down just like before....other than it now stinks of motor cooked bushing lube in here.

I've decided to replace it with a Frankford Arsenal rolling drum type. Yep...other than for huge batches that I'll do in "The Tumbler From Hell" that I built, I'm putting crushed walnut behind me in exchange for wet tumbling with stainless steel pins. You have served me very well little guy. I'm really going to miss you old friend when you finally give up the ghost and let the smoke out. Even as I write this, I can hear the length of time that it's speed is dragged down increasing with every cycle.

((( Imagine Taps playing )))

Last edited by blacksmithden; 02-03-2017 at 11:44 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Eel (02-06-2017), firemachine69 (02-04-2017), kennymo (02-04-2017), Rory McCanuck (02-04-2017), ruger#1 (02-05-2017)

11 years of ''abuse '' is quite a good run considering the relatively low cost of the machine . i have the dillon CV 2001 since 2008 and it still runs strong. i know there's a port on the motor to add some oil like many industrial electric motors, not sure if and when it must be checked out. me too i'm considering a wet tumbler but only for the time it would save . otherwise so far i'm happy with dry tumbling .
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I was gonna say "it's not the years it's the miles"

but it's the years too.

...lasted longer than any of my wives
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

5. The Following User Liked This Post By BrotherRockeye

firemachine69 (02-04-2017)

Be careful that doesn't overheat and catch fire as it sounds like excessive friction is slowing it down. Safety first.

Take it out back and shoot it...end the suffering...then come have a look at my stainless pin tumbler..16 inch long drum x 6" diameter..can run 300+ 308 at a time thru it..in a quarter of the time that it takes your walnut jobby.
    Last edited by oddjob70; 02-04-2017 at 02:20 AM.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By oddjob70

Rory McCanuck (02-04-2017)

I was going to say, didn't you just build a tumbler?
    I know you made the drum, but had you built the turny bit yet?
    No one says you have to use the huge drum; you use a small drum if it still spans between the rollers.
    Have a small drum for dry media, and a small drum for wet pins.
    And a big one for pins for when you do the BFI bin sized loads.

That reminds me, I need to cut up some more baffles, I want to make another drum for dry stuff.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    I was going to say, didn't you just build a tumbler?
    I know you made the drum, but had you built the turny bit yet?
    No one says you have to use the huge drum; you use a small drum if it still spans between the rollers.
    Have a small drum for dry media, and a small drum for wet pins.
    And a big one for pins for when you do the BFI bin sized loads.

That reminds me, I need to cut up some more baffles, I want to make another drum for dry stuff.
    I did build a drum, but I decided to go with a rotary design instead. Dmay donated the motor and 90 degree drive to the cause. I wanted a setup that didn't rely on a custom made drum. I have access to more 5 gallon pails and lids than one can shake a stick at, so this design made sense for doing 1500 x .223 at a time after a good range collection day. Just fill the pail with brass and media. Slid it into the fingers of the tumber. Put on the bungie cord. Plug it in, and walk away. If the pail gets damaged, no biggie...I can get as many as I'll ever need (empty hydraulic oil pails) from work.

My problem is space in the winter. Mrs BSD's van goes in the garage when the weather turns cold, and there is literally no extra space in the garage to get it out in the open and let it run. I have a tailgate here that a friend had me pick up for him from somebody on Kijiji. It's actually in the basement because there isn't room for it in the garage. In the winter, I need something smaller, and quieter that I can run in the basement. The Frankford Arsenal drum tumber that comes with 5 lbs of pins seemed to fit the bill pretty well. I'm not happy about dumping $320 plus tax into a tumbler, but when you go through as much brass as I do, it's worth it.

Here's a link to the one I'm after if anyone is interested.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/66173/...ry-tumbler-kit
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 02-04-2017 at 05:01 AM.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Hey....you guys that wet tumble with steel pins. What do you use in the water ? I'm told that some kind of Dawn soap and something called lemon shine, or lemmy shine ? Exactly what are you using, and in what proportions ? Where does one get this lemmy shine stuff ?
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Hey....you guys that wet tumble with steel pins. What do you use in the water ? I'm told that some kind of Dawn soap and something called lemon shine, or lemmy shine ? Exactly what are you using, and in what proportions ? Where does one get this lemmy shine stuff ?
    Dawn liquid dish soap is the preferred soap. Lemishine is a dishwashing additive. Canadian Tire sells it but you might be able to find it in the dish detergent aisle of your local Walmart or grocery store.

I use 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of Dawn and 1/8 or 1/4 of a Teaspoon (you don't need much) in a tumble batch in my Thumbler. If the brass is really dirty I add a bit more of both . If I'm just cleaning off some sizing lube I use less Dawn and no Lemishine.

The only tricky part of wet tumbling is separating the pins. I use a hand cranked dry media separator and fill it with water. Get a mesh type strainer that sits in your sink's drain to catch the ones trying to get away.

I towel dry my clean brass and leave them to air dry in a couple of metal screen baskets on top of a big tray.

Get a big magnet to pick up your pins when you drop them (and you will). One of those magnets with the handle you pull to disengage the magnet.

If anyone cares I could post photos of my setup.

Depending on your reloading press you may find that your brass will be so squeaky clean that they hang up on the case mouth flaring station. On my Dillon Square Deal B I have to use a little lubricant when loading now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fusilier; 02-04-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    Retired Soldier. Unemployed Engineer. Always a professional.

Webmaster for
    CANFIRE - Canada's Firearm Internet Resource
    IPSC Nova Scotia
    CANFIRE BLog

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Fusilier

gtr (02-04-2017)

I use Dawn(10 ml) and powdered citric acid(5 ml) as my baseline,you might have to tweak that based on local water(water here is soft)After a couple tumbles you get a feel for tumble time.

Here's my homebuilt set up-
    Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    I built mine to hold two 1 gallon coolers allowing volume or the ability to do two different calibers at the same time.

Capacity per container
    575 9mm cases
    400 40 sw cases
    315 45 acp cases
    300 223/5.56 cases
    170 308 cases

[IMG][/IMG]

The agitators are held in place by tension so no need to drill holes.

15. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By ESnel

chrisc (02-09-2017), JustBen (02-04-2017), Rory McCanuck (02-04-2017), ruger#1 (02-05-2017)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast