Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.

4x4/Quads/ATV's??? What Am I Looking For?

Tonight I was having a conversation with the better half about how many folks are out on the ice at Cooks Bay. I mentioned all the fish huts, snowmobiles and atv's parked or scooting about. She asked if the 4x4's were good on the ice. I said they were as good as a snowmobile and as our town allows them on the road (licensed/insured) they were good for the roads and trails as well. Out of the blue she say's "we should get one"!!! WTH? Seems she thinks it would good fun and as a few of the neighbours have them, we could get involved in more social activities. Where do we go from here? What is a good entry level machine for two up riding? (or two machines)? New?Used? What makes and models are more reliable than others? Not looking for warp drive speeds or air catching power. Just a nice, comfy, reliable ride. This could be the start of something big for the two of us and it would be good to have some knowledge of whats on the market before dropping a lot of cash. Thanks up front for any and all information!
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Tonight I was having a conversation with the better half about how many folks are out on the ice at Cooks Bay. I mentioned all the fish huts, snowmobiles and atv's parked or scooting about. She asked if the 4x4's were good on the ice. I said they were as good as a snowmobile and as our town allows them on the road (licensed/insured) they were good for the roads and trails as well. Out of the blue she say's "we should get one"!!! WTH? Seems she thinks it would good fun and as a few of the neighbours have them, we could get involved in more social activities. Where do we go from here? What is a good entry level machine for two up riding? (or two machines)? New?Used? What makes and models are more reliable than others? Not looking for warp drive speeds or air catching power. Just a nice, comfy, reliable ride. This could be the start of something big for the two of us and it would be good to have some knowledge of whats on the market before dropping a lot of cash. Thanks up front for any and all information!
    I'd recommend the Side by Side option. Probably a Rhino. With a winch. And a set of tracks for winter. And a trailer that doubles as a people hauler. So where this goes?

Can Am has a number of two up quad options, Polaris and Arctic Cat have been making them as well I believe. I prefer the Can Am's as far as that goes.

As for side by sides, the old man has a Yamaha Rhino 700, it's not as rip snortin' roaring as some of the others but it's damn reliable and the Yamaha automatic belt drive has a great reputation. The Rhino was discontinued a few years back and replaced with the 700 Viking. We used a buddy's this past hunting season and while it seems to be a good machine, it's considerably larger than the Rhino with three across seating and won't fit in some of the narrower quad trails like the Rhino can. They've got a new machine out dubbed 'Wolverine' that's back to two seats and a smaller footprint, the 660/700 Yamaha motor has been around for a while now with few complaints....that's the direction I'm looking in....

How's your knee been? The old man has a rough set too and doesn't like throwing his leg over a quad seat these days, hence the Rhino....food for thought. Maybe ask a few neighbours for a test ride?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Before she changes her mind. Take her to the store and look at what they have. Get the blue one is that's what she likes.
    You can do research later, from your fishing hut.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Zinilin

kennymo (02-11-2017), shootemup604 (02-12-2017)

A side by side may fit your needs nicely, especially if you're planning on making it a couples experience. I'm not too up on the latest side by sides, so others will have to chime in there.

For quads, my favorite out of all the ones I've driven has been a Suzuki King Quad 450. Next up was the Yamaha Grizzly 450. Both handle great, have more than enough power, provide a comfortable ride and according the owners who let me ride them, have been dead nuts reliable. I don't own a quad myself, but when I decide to pull the trigger on one, those 2 will be the first ones I look at.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

As far as used bikes go, Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis scare me the least. In that order.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Can Am has a number of two up quad options, Polaris and Arctic Cat have been making them as well I believe. I prefer the Can Am's as far as that goes.

As for side by sides, the old man has a Yamaha Rhino 700, it's not as rip snortin' roaring as some of the others but it's damn reliable and the Yamaha automatic belt drive has a great reputation. The Rhino was discontinued a few years back and replaced with the 700 Viking. We used a buddy's this past hunting season and while it seems to be a good machine, it's considerably larger than the Rhino with three across seating and won't fit in some of the narrower quad trails like the Rhino can. They've got a new machine out dubbed 'Wolverine' that's back to two seats and a smaller footprint, the 660/700 Yamaha motor has been around for a while now with few complaints....that's the direction I'm looking in....

How's your knee been? The old man has a rough set too and doesn't like throwing his leg over a quad seat these days, hence the Rhino....food for thought. Maybe ask a few neighbours for a test ride?
    Yamaha seems to make good organs.

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Thanks for the input. Seems there is more choices for atv's than breakfast cereals.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I ride a Polaris and my daughters ride Hondas.

I like the older solid axle Polaris quads. Cheap parts, easy to fix and bulletproof.

What's your budget, because that's how this should start.

Suggesting a $15K ride doesn't do you much good if you only have 5k to spend.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I recommend a good used Argo with a winch. Good year round; large footprint so you don't worry about going through the ice, and it floats if it does. Skid-steer, so it works very well with tracks. Not crazy-fast but very capable. Bench seat- so you can move your legs around (if you have trouble with your knee).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast