Making a mosin sniper repro

Hi!

I have these 2 mosins laying around and i want to make a good one with these: russian repro PU sniper rifle that i can't make a decent group with it because the barrel is out of specs and a Tikka finnish 91/30 that have a mirror-like 0.3095'' barrel. The plan is simple: put all the PU parts on the finnish reciever and enjoy this fine shooting rifle with a vintage looking scope. Don't be afraid of collecting value for the finnish rifle as bubba etched is driving licence number on the reciever before it was sold to me... Here's the question: what i have to consider to make the conversion? I've seen many videos online and i'm not 100% sure of the process. Anyone have done it before?
    Last edited by Kegcaissy; 02-27-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    And as always, have a nice day!

Try shooting cast lead through the sniper? It's helped out many a poor bore. Also, how's the crown? If it's dinged up a recrowning job might save the accuracy in a much more cost effective manner.

As for the Finn, maybe consider selling it and buying a Russian in better shape for your project? Even minorly bubba'd it might go for enough to buy a good Russian rifle and pay for some of the gunsmithing to get that scope mount on. Tradeex had a few Finns in and they're going for an arm and a leg right now.....

What are you shooting trough the Russian rifle BTW? If it's reloads, the Russian bores are generally somewhere between .310 and .312, similar to a .303 British. The .308 7.62 bore is an American thing...
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Russian Mosin bores are more in the 0.313'' to 0.317'' area. The tikka converted Mosin, on the other hand, have a 0.3095 bore. This a measurement not an assumption. This particular rifle shoots amazingly with 0.311'' cast AND 0.308'' jacketed bullets. I've tried up to 0.316'' cast bullets in the russian and this is not enough to get accuracy, this russian mosin is just good for parts... I have another russian in better shape and it slugs 0.314'', this is not what i'm looking for. I will convert this rifle with PU parts that i have on hands, there will be NO gunsmitting fees. I just want to know others experiences before doing it.
    And as always, have a nice day!

If you want a zero gunsmithing fee sniper converted Mosin, get used to the idea of modifying your bolt handle and installing your scope mount. I've seen a rifle for sale at a gunshow that someone has tried and failed to do the same procedures your talking about. As far as I know, the only mods are the two, the bolt handle and the scope mount. I mean they are cheap enough that if your screw it up with the Russian parts just buy more I guess. I'd really have to say it's a better idea to hand it over to a pro.

Good luck

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Anyone have done it before?

Yes,,, How are you with a drill press, taps and dies, and welding?

There are no mulligans once you drill holes in the receiver,, the two piece scope mount must be clamped in place on the receiver exactly where the holes are to be drilled,, too far left, scope sits left of center, too far right scope sits right of center and bolt handle will hit scope,, and neither of these conditions can be compensated for with any amount of scope adjustment.. The original scopes were not meant to correct for point of impact as each scope was precisely machined to the rifle, then adjusted for range and windage,

CSSA

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Billythreefeathers

Kegcaissy (02-28-2017)