Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Got an SKS. What next?

I have a 1950 Tula SKS. It's not a beauty queen by any stretch, but it's a cheap fun rifle and ammo is cheap. At some point I may pick up another just because they're so damn cheap. The thing is, the SKS has gotten me more interested in other vintage military rifles, but I don't want this hobby to start turning into a money pit. (guitars and amps do that already). So what would my other options be for reasonably priced rifles? It looks like M1 Garands seem to go for a fair bit more than what I would call cheap. Why so expensive? Didn't they manufacture millions of the damn things? It looks like I could get a beat to shit Lee Enfield for cheap, but is it worth it? What should a serviceable Lee Enfield be going for? The VZ52 has my interest because it seems a little less common, and I kinda like more obscure stuff, but due to that fact, they are harder to find. What else should be on my radar?

Offbeat Mausers are still pretty cheap, most of them are some version of the 98 or K98 built by Mauser, Steyr, FN, etc... Mostly the ones sold to South American Militaries. Some odd chamberings but 7x57, 8x57, 30.06 and 8x57 can be had, rifles built by the real craftsmen but not dragged through the big war so collector value is low. For a Mauser you plan on shooting they're a great deal, some are $400 and less....

Also keep your eyes peeled for $500 Lee Enfields and P14/M1917 Enfields. Still the odd good deal out there on the less collectable ones....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Ahhh guitars and amps. I went bankrupt because of that....and a lot of help from my exwife

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I guess another question I should be asking, is where would be the best place to look for vintage firearms for sale?

Google what your looking for Canada only and gun shows.

Get a norinco M14/M305 and a cheap crate of 7.62x51. Great fun!

A Mosin Nagant is a good bet.Can still be found for under $200. I buy surplus ammo for it at $170 for 400 rounds. Mosin Nagant rifles can be found at most Canadian Tire stores that have firearms.
    Last edited by TheGreatBeard; 03-01-2017 at 06:48 AM.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By TheGreatBeard

DasMauser (05-14-2017)

I'm on my cell so I can't get a link but xtreme gun shooting center in Winnipeg has a variety of stuff you might like. SKS, Mosin Nagant and the PU. As well. They also have the long and short version of the Norinco 305 (M14) that I highly recommended.

Guitars and amps ever increase in value?
    M1 Rifles are about supply and demand. None made since the early to mid 50's either. And there have been hordes of movies with 'em.
    "...Didn't they manufacture millions of the..." Yep. Not as many as M1 Carbines and they(milsurps) run close to a grand too. And are restricted. Plus millions of both have since been destroyed or are sitting in crates on the bottom of oceans. Even "cheap" Mosin-Nagants aren't cheap any more.
    "...a serviceable Lee Enfield..." What model? Makes a difference price and availability-wise. Do not buy any Lee-Enfield without proof of good headspace either. Especially if you opt for a No. I. Fixing bad headspace is easy, but it requires having a correct size bolt head. No. I bolt heads are not numbered and you need a handful to try with proper headspace gauges. At about $30Cdn each.
    A VZ52 runs $795 at Collector's Source. Chambered for the 7.62 X 45 mm for which there's no ammo. There is a 7.62 x 39 variant if you can find one.

M96 Swedish Mauser. Great shooters, can be had reasonably cheap even with bayonet and cleaning kit. There are also modern rifles chambered in 6.5x55, keeping you ammunition diversity down.

What's your locality?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast