Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lost In Awe.
    Posts
    1,771

    Aimpoint PRO magnifier

    I've been operating a PRO for some years now but have been discouraged from getting a magnifier to make it telescopic by the high price Aimpoint demands for their 3X unit. Last time I looked I believe they were going for around $600 and that was before the loonie drowned 2 years ago. So I'm wondering if anyone has had good performance from one of the cheaper knockoff magnifiers?

    Another issue is regarding the mounts available. Back when I was looking, LaRue was making the best one, a tip-away that left the optic still attached to the rail. Of course LaRue is unable to sell to Canada, so that seems to be out, but has another company come up with a similar idea? Or what are people using for their red dots?

    No issues at all with the PRO btw. Given what my intended useage was, I still think it's the best optic available for under $1000.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

    CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bantario
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I've been operating a PRO for some years now but have been discouraged from getting a magnifier to make it telescopic by the high price Aimpoint demands for their 3X unit. Last time I looked I believe they were going for around $600 and that was before the loonie drowned 2 years ago. So I'm wondering if anyone has had good performance from one of the cheaper knockoff magnifiers?

    Another issue is regarding the mounts available. Back when I was looking, LaRue was making the best one, a tip-away that left the optic still attached to the rail. Of course LaRue is unable to sell to Canada, so that seems to be out, but has another company come up with a similar idea? Or what are people using for their red dots?

    No issues at all with the PRO btw. Given what my intended useage was, I still think it's the best optic available for under $1000.


    RDSC(?) was selling a magnifier/dot combo (with mount IIRC) in January for peanuts (around $1k...)



    <EDIT>

    Nope, everything is priced in the stratosphere. Mind you, there's a pretty decent selection of mounts nowadays.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joshua13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,146
    Doesn't vortex have a magnifier with flip?

    Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lost In Awe.
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
    RDSC(?) was selling a magnifier/dot combo (with mount IIRC) in January for peanuts (around $1k...)



    <EDIT>

    Nope, everything is priced in the stratosphere. Mind you, there's a pretty decent selection of mounts nowadays.
    $1000? Peanuts for a man of my wealth, not.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

    CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

  5. The Following User Liked This Post By Ruff

    firemachine69 (03-05-2017)

  6. #5
    Senior Member Ruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lost In Awe.
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post
    Doesn't vortex have a magnifier with flip?

    Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk
    The Vortex has a flip off, but not a 'flip and stay mounted for an easy fiip back' mount, last I knew anyway. I'll look again, I'd even forgotten the brand name and it's an obviously good improvement.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

    CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

  7. #6
    Senior Member Joshua13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    The Vortex has a flip off, but not a 'flip and stay mounted for an easy fiip back' mount, last I knew anyway. I'll look again, I'd even forgotten the brand name and it's an obviously good improvement.


    Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Liked This Post By Joshua13

    firemachine69 (03-05-2017)

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bantario
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post


    Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk



    Think I just found the optics combo I want for my ACR...

  10. #8
    Senior Member Ruff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Lost In Awe.
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua13 View Post


    Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk
    Excellent, functions just like the LaRue mount except it flips to the opposite side, glad I waited. Thanks very much!
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

    CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •