Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kydex fitted holster issue.

A few years back, I bought a custom molded kydex holster made by High Speed Gear, a veteran owned and operated company in the USA, bought it through a similar store in my area. When first received, it was in fact a superb fit, the handgun would slide smoothly in and out and when holstered would lock in place with a nice soft snap. It was then secure enough that you couldn't make the gun fall out by holding the holster upside down and shaking it hard, it was great. Now however, maybe 4 years later, the holster has gradually changed shape and the same gun can't even be inserted easily. The fit has become bad enough that the gun's slide gets pushed up if you try and even if that wasn't the case severe damage to the gun's finish would certainly result. The holster is somewhat adjustable but that doesn't fix it, it has in fact basically changed shape.

What I'm wondering if this fit problem can be fixed at home? Based on a past conversation with the guy, I don't care to try to deal with the US maker (we both get kind of stressed dealing with each other, and that was just with me making an enquiry), and the Canadian store where I actually bought the thing is long gone. I've been toying with the idea of using a heat gun to reform the holster around the pistol but I don't want to totally ruin the thing either. I want to keep it, I chose it after a lot of looking and it was not cheap; it's in multicam and fitted with the G Code quick change system, it's only good for my belt system and that's what I want it for.

Edit: a check online shows that HSG doesn't even list holsters for sale any more, that seems ominous to my cause....
    Last edited by Ruff; 03-07-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CCFR, CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

"...using a heat gun..." I don't and never have worked with the plastic stuff, but too much of a heat gun, like the industrial types can be far too hot. There are guys here and on other forums who do work with Kydex. There are hordes of sites that explain how to work with it. Most of 'em appear to be about holsters too.
    Like this one. All 'tactical' and everything. Looks like a few minutes in a toaster oven might just fix it.
    http://triangletactical.net/2013/04/...ydex-holsters/

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

Ruff (03-07-2017)

I used an old hair dryer and carefully warmed the kydex up

I would be a little reluctant to put the gun, which is polymer framed, in a toaster oven, too hard to control what's happening, so I'll try the hairdryer and if that isn't hot enough, go with the heat gun. Either can heat slowly and carefully after all. Thank you, gentlemen.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

Highlander Tactical (Run by an active Canadian Military member) makes custom Kydex holsters. Fire him an email maybe he can help you.

https://www.highlandertactical.com/
    DaScribbler

Just pop the holster in an oven on a low setting for a couple minutes to see if that softens if up and then take it out a insert the pistol. Try that a few times on different heat or different lengths of time, while paying attention, and I'm sure you won't cause any damage.

I used an oven to soften the kydex for my rifles cheek rest and it was fine.

I used a hair dryer to form a cheekrest, the kydex got pliable fairly quickly?

(Silly question incoming) There's no tension adjustment on the holster?
    CSSA CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    I used a hair dryer to form a cheekrest, the kydex got pliable fairly quickly?

(Silly question incoming) There's no tension adjustment on the holster?
    There is, but like I said it doesn't improve things. It's the basic holster shape that has changed, the formed shape I mean. And it never got exposed to artificial heat or anything. Makes me realise a basic loose fitting rattle-y kydex holster has it's good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobusten View Post
    Just pop the holster in an oven on a low setting for a couple minutes to see if that softens if up and then take it out a insert the pistol. Try that a few times on different heat or different lengths of time, while paying attention, and I'm sure you won't cause any damage.

I used an oven to soften the kydex for my rifles cheek rest and it was fine.
    Yeah, could work. Should have thought of that after the first oven suggestion. Based on my somewhat uneven cooking skills, the holster might be melted into a puddle however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    There is, but like I said it doesn't improve things. It's the basic holster shape that has changed, the formed shape I mean. And it never got exposed to artificial heat or anything. Makes me realise a basic loose fitting rattle-y kydex holster has it's good points.
    Has it been exposed to harsh sunlight? On the dashboard at a match or something? I've never heard of Kydex reforming smaller? Interesting problem, but hopefully easy to solve; I've heard of Kydex getting loose, so you need to heat it and "pinch" the knife/gun in the holster to help it reform.....it's 300 degrees Fahrenheit, IIRC? You could always ask the fine folk at Soley Canadian, they make great holsters, and I'm sure would be willing to give you a more detailed or educated recommendation?
    CSSA CCFR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast