Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I really enjoy my 357 Specials more than the I do the screamers. 4.something of 231 under a 158swc.

It's a touch more than the classic .38 bullseye load, but I was loading it for accuracy more than for any particular velocity.

I need to take out a model 14 again... It's been too long.

I wish Ruger would do up a 44-40 Blackhawk. i know that the magnum and the special can be loaded up the same, but the thinner case of the 44-40 would convince me to try black powder. I'd think it'd seal the chambers better for less blowback into the action.
    SchrŲdinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Mark-II

Plinker 777 (03-31-2017)

An M629 4.125" has no 'L' frame style lug. The M629 5" does. No such thing as a 4.2" or 4.25" barrel M629, according to Smith & Wesson.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers
    The real issue about Smith internal locks and Canada is that most Canadian cops don't know a Smith from a Jones ad if they see a restricted firearm being transported without a visible lock, you'll have to explain the whole thing to a guy who is trying to fill his quota. Quite possibly to a judge since the onus is on the accused.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Justice

LB303 (04-01-2017)

You are correct about the lug on the 4" 629 - my mistake. As for 4" vs. 4.2", all you have to do is check out any number of Canadian retail web sites. Either they are all mistaken or the Canadian versions are slightly longer than 4" - presumably to accommodate Canadian law.

I'm tempted to call CFO on the issue of the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    An M629 4.125" has no 'L' frame style lug. The M629 5" does. No such thing as a 4.2" or 4.25" barrel M629, according to Smith & Wesson.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers
    The real issue about Smith internal locks and Canada is that most Canadian cops don't know a Smith from a Jones ad if they see a restricted firearm being transported without a visible lock, you'll have to explain the whole thing to a guy who is trying to fill his quota. Quite possibly to a judge since the onus is on the accused.
    "Missed it by that much."

South East from the center of the Universe
    There are 4" and shorter S&W revolvers in Canada. Lots of them as a matter of fact, they're just designated as prohibited rather than the 4.2" restricted designation. And to possess or acquire prohibited guns means you are by designation "grandfathered".

On the lock issue. I believe the intent of the law here is to "add" a lock to the firearm when in transport. Further, I believe that the S&W engineers never intended this keyed lock to be compliant to Canadian transport laws. I believe the intent of the keyed lock was for folks in the states to be able to leave their nightstand gun loaded yet inoperable by say children who are in the home unattended. The statistics of accidental homicides committed by American children are kind of alarming.

I view the keyed lock as an optional function on the firearm, as in say the thumb safety on a 1911 (which is something I actually use BTW.). 1911: cocked and locked though "safe" does not meet transport requirements. If it did, I'd wear my 1911 holstered to the range. (Big no, no, if you aren't aware).
    Put a trigger lock on it and be done with it as we all do.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

I have the same revolver, and have been wondering the same thing. The frustrating part is there is no reference for gun owners, who want to be compliant, to get "answers" and not just "opinions".

Per the advice of others in this string, my advice is not to bother with the built-in key lock for the following reasons:
    - If you get stopped, the lack of a conventional trigger lock will take things up a notch with the officer, who may or may not be familiar with the key lock system
    - If you rely on the key lock and you lose the key, you're pretty much screwed until you can get a replacement key
    - A regular combo trigger lock is cheap, effective and there's nothing to lose. Plus if you own more than one gun it is consistent with what you'll use on the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mparsons View Post
    I have the same revolver, and have been wondering the same thing. The frustrating part is there is no reference for gun owners, who want to be compliant, to get "answers" and not just "opinions".
    Last edited by YVRguy; 05-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    "Missed it by that much."

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By YVRguy

greywolf67nt (05-23-2017), mparsons (06-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
    Per the advice of others in this string, my advice is not to bother with the built-in key lock for the following reasons:
    - If you get stopped, the lack of a conventional trigger lock will take things up a notch with the officer, who may or may not be familiar with the key lock system
    - If you rely on the key lock and you lose the key, you're pretty much screwed until you can get a replacement key
    - A regular combo trigger lock is cheap, effective and there's nothing to lose. Plus if you own more than one gun it is consistent with what you'll use on the rest of them.
    If I got pulled over by a police officer and it got to the point that he found out I had a firearm in the vehicle, wanted to see it AND then had an issue with the internal S&W lock I would just tell him... "It's the same style lock that is on your hand cuffs...". So unless he doesn't trust his handcuffs he shouldn't have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by YVRguy View Post
    I'm going to Vancouver Island this morning to shoot with my buddy and discuss that very topic (reloading). I live in a condo so it's out of the question for me but he lives in Parksville and he already has a nice work area in his garage for amateur armourer work. We're thinking of going in together on a setup. If that happens a .44 won't be far behind. And an M&P .45, and a Marlin 45-70, and a Garand and ............
    I recognize that this thread is pretty old, but Iím wondering why you say reloading is out of the question for you because you live in a condo? Is it a space limitation or are there condo association rules preventing it?
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Swingerguy View Post
    I recognize that this thread is pretty old, but Iím wondering why you say reloading is out of the question for you because you live in a condo? Is it a space limitation or are there condo association rules preventing it?
    I would still reload even if I lived in a bachelor apartment. As for rules against it, no one is going to know what you do in your own place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123