Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sig P226 Classic .22lr

Hey everyone,

Just getting into the hobby and have been poking around and trying to decide on a start up pistol. I am interested in the Sig P226 .22 to start with aspirations of purchasing the kit to mod it to a 9mm or a .40 in the future once I get a little more skill with pistols. My big question is, does anyone own one of these as I can't find one at my local range to test fire. Looking for some honest opinions on the pistol (good or bad) and if someone in the Edmonton area happens to have one, and doesn't mind I would love to meet up and get a feel for how it shoots.

Thanks in advance

Haven't held one, but it looks like a nice little rig. Not sure how much time you've spent with handguns, but I would recommend going into somewhere like Wild West and see if they have something similar to try out, or maybe Phoenix indoor. Personally I'm not a big fan of the conversion idea, if it was me I would start with the P226 Mosquito for $400 from Cabelas and if you decide it's something you want to do in a larger caliber then upgrade and buy the 9mm or .40. But then your total outlay would be closer to $1,300.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

With the M&P 22 pistol on the market now it will be hard to find anything better IMHO.

Mine should be here Monday.
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehto View Post
    With the M&P 22 pistol on the market now it will be hard to find anything better IMHO.

Mine should be here Monday.
    Looks nice, did you get the range carry kit too?
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

No it doesn't come with the kit like the 9mm, or at least not these first ones to get into the country.

I was on SFRC's preorder so............

Still haven't got it, but from all the research and reviews it seems about as good as it gets for the price.

If you want the single best most reliable .22 pistol I would recommend the CZ Kadet, but it is $900 +.......
    You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home, the first 2 things you are gonna do are 1) Call someone with a gun, and 2) Pray that they arrive quick enough to save you.

For that kind of money I'd be picking up a Walther PPQ 9mm, I've been told very good things about them.
    Happiness is a Warm Gun

Thats why i bought the mp 22.

$439 seems like a pretty good deal, but only 1 mag.

The downside of the M&P22 is... it as nothing to do with the M&P9/40 except looks. It is not an actual M&P with just a different slide and mags. It's not made by S&W but instead by Walther/Umarex. The same who made the self destructing Walther P22.

And the problem with the Sig Mosquito is the gun is only 90% the size of the real thing. It's smaller and thus your holsters don't work as well at least with me.

The Sig 226 Classic .22 is nothing more than a centerfire P226 frame with a .22 conversion kit. You can just but a 9mm slide and mags and put them onto your Classic 22.

Yep, that was my thought, since it is a full size I can train with it as a .22 and when I upgrade to the 9mm I have the same pistol I have been accustomed to. None of the ranges I have been to in Edmonton carry one, hope someone local has one, love to shoot one before I buy one
    Last edited by cuwe; 09-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    The downside of the M&P22 is... it as nothing to do with the M&P9/40 except looks. It is not an actual M&P with just a different slide and mags. It's not made by S&W but instead by Walther/Umarex. The same who made the self destructing Walther P22.

And the problem with the Sig Mosquito is the gun is only 90% the size of the real thing. It's smaller and thus your holsters don't work as well at least with me.

The Sig 226 Classic .22 is nothing more than a centerfire P226 frame with a .22 conversion kit. You can just but a 9mm slide and mags and put them onto your Classic 22.
    X2, I was interested in one until I had the chance to handle one, still nice pistols that function well from what I understand but they are not an M&P in any way other than appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast