Hi everyone,

I'm just getting started with shooting, having just passed my PAL and RPAL exams and currently in the waiting period. I'm mostly interested in target shooting --- I had a great time doing it in the army reserves ages ago and am excited to try my hand at pistols in addition to rifles.

The advice I've received so far is that even if I'm ultimately interested in a larger caliber, I should start off with a .22LR pistol and a .22 LR rifle. Cheap and interchangeable ammo, light frames, low recoil... learn the basics and develop good habits before blowing a hole in something. That seems to make sense, and since I'm interested in target shooting I'm in no rush to move up to bigger bores beyond the fact that it's fun to make loud noises. (And it is.)

I'm currently in Toronto, which means I'm going to have a really hard time finding a place that will both let me try out a firearm and sell it to me. I've probably got a maximum budget of about $1000 each, but I'd obviously prefer to keep costs down for something possibly more exciting later.

So just a few questions:

1) Do you agree with the advice about starting with the rimfire guns, or should I start with the calibers I'm interested in sticking with?

2) Do you know of anyplace in or around Toronto where someone can try out a range of firearms before buying them? Ideally someplace with a large selection?

3) Would you recommend choosing from the range of firearms available at whatever range is also a retailer, so that I can be sure it's something comfortable even if I don't find a "perfect fit"; or should I buy something I really like and is well-regarded and then get used to it?

4) If you agree that .22LR is a good starting point and that it might be a good idea to buy before trying, I was thinking about the Sig P226R and the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Thanks!