Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Un-Googling the Riflechair Channel

This hasn't been easy to do but enough is enough.
    The Youtube / Google Juggernaut is committing a form of corporate suicide in my opinion.
    That is their decision and this is my response.

https://www.patreon.com/Riflechair

Quote Originally Posted by Riflechair View Post
    The Youtube / Google Juggernaut is committing a form of corporate suicide in my opinion.
    It is indeed. It will hurt a lot of smaller channels in the short/medium run. But ultimately it will turn YouTube into the next MySpace, if you know what I mean.
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_M View Post
    It is indeed. It will hurt a lot of smaller channels in the short/medium run. But ultimately it will turn YouTube into the next MySpace, if you know what I mean.
    MyWhat? Never heard of it

Well, Riflechair isn't the only guy with a youtube channel and gun chat. I don't see 22plinkster and hickok45 putting up a video saying "there goes the farm...". So what is the real problem? The restricted rating? Is it really important to get the under 18 subscriber? I don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    Well, Riflechair isn't the only guy with a youtube channel and gun chat. I don't see 22plinkster and hickok45 putting up a video saying "there goes the farm...". So what is the real problem? The restricted rating? Is it really important to get the under 18 subscriber? I don't get it at all.

Its the loss of revenue that posters received from advertisers. For a lot of people, Boobtube became their income. Then wham! No more revenue. To some it was like being fired....

22plinkster quit his job to do this, and again, I don't see any remarks there. Where is this "news" about the loss of revenue? I still don't get it. Why does restricted lead to loss of revenue? Are there that many 12 year olds creating hits on the videos?

Restricted video's may not be monetized according to YouTube, so all these gun channels are about to stop producing unless they have support elsewhere such as sponsors or something like Patreon.

Matt from DemolitionRanch spoke about the restricted issue two weeks ago, although at that point he was assuming it was a glitch.

You may not upload, post, or transmit (collectively, "submit") any video, image, text, audio recording, or other work (collectively, "content") that:
    Depicts unlawful acts or extreme violence;
    Shooting guns could be against Vimeo's rules since they are somewhat vague and do not define "extreme violence". And even if you got it in writing that shooting is OK, they could change the rules tomorrow and close your channel.
    Dear NFA - I quit.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By RimfireFans

Doug_M (04-23-2017), firemachine69 (04-23-2017), Malus (04-24-2017)

I'm just wondering... Would this mean these youtube channels are now ad-free?

I think this guy does a better job of explaining what has happened and why and how it impacts him...

The loss of advertisers didn't start with a firearms channel related issue, but Youtube is taking a broad sweep to protect their reputation against any "objectionable" content that might conflict with the interests or image of those buying the ads. So basically, Youtube advertisers get a say in the content they want their ad to appear next to, like in the world of TV or movies and advertising. I'd say the move is a spiraling loss for Youtube. If we wanted TV, we would watch TV. The Internet is different - it is where we can drive to the content we want, and where we can create the content. I hope the alternatives work, or there is a different way these guys can get sponsors.

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By labradort

awndray (04-25-2017), lone-wolf (04-24-2017)

TFB TV also posted a video last week about this issue

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast