Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdwh View Post
    Excuse me, newbie here. Is the registration certificate required before taking the firearm to the range? I finally got my PAL yesterday, pre bought my firearm to lock in a easter special and heading to the range orientation tomorrow to get my membership. Once I have my range membership the store will ship my firearm and I'm hoping to head to the range the day it hits my mailbox! Or do I now have to wait for a registration certificate?
    We're supposed to carry the registration certificate during transport, so maybe just wait a few more days. Congratulations on the new gun!
    CSSA | CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    They come from the RCMP so I don't think calling the CFO will speed it up much.
    When you get a brown envelope with green paper showing in the window and RCMP on the top left corner you're in business.
    I actually went through this once, the RCMP transferred me to the CFO saying it shouldn't have taken this long. A gentleman in the CFO's office picked up and said they had been swamped and he just cleared it over the phone with me and told me he's sending it out and I should have it within a few days. I think I had called on a Thursday and got it the following Tuesday in my mailbox
    CSSA | CCFR

Excuse me, newbie here. Is the registration certificate required before taking the firearm to the range? I finally got my PAL yesterday, pre bought my firearm to lock in a easter special and heading to the range orientation tomorrow to get my membership. Once I have my range membership the store will ship my firearm and I'm hoping to head to the range the day it hits my mailbox! Or do I now have to wait for a registration certificate?
    yes you have to wait for you regs it has to be with your firearm to transport if its a restricted firearm

Quote Originally Posted by speedloader View Post
    yes you have to wait for you regs it has to be with your firearm to transport if its a restricted firearm
    Unless you listen to the people on CGN and then there are 14 different opinions on if you can just use your Transfer Notification
    He who hits first wins, regardless of the speed of the opponent’s miss.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf67nt View Post
    Unless you listen to the people on CGN and then there are 14 different opinions on if you can just use your Transfer Notification
    There's a thread there this week about this, starting with a fella who asked the CFO and the CFO said you can just use your Transfer Notification (which indicates that a registration certificate exists).

Quote Originally Posted by RangeBob View Post
    There's a thread there this week about this, starting with a fella who asked the CFO and the CFO said you can just use your Transfer Notification (which indicates that a registration certificate exists).
    From what I was told by my provincial CFO is that the transfer notice acts as a temporary registration. First person I talked to said I couldn't take a restricted to the range with it, but the second person said it was okay. Rather just wait for the certificate if they can't give a consistent answer.

LOL, the gun laws and industry remind me of the financial industry. There's so much over regulation and compliance that no one actually knows what the F*#@$ is going on anymore!!!

Does that sound about right?

Geez, I don't even have my first firearm yet and I'm already jaded.

LOL, the gun laws and industry remind me of the financial industry. There's so much over regulation and compliance that no one actually knows what the F*#@$ is going on anymore!!!

Does that sound about right?

Geez, I don't even have my first firearm yet and I'm already jaded.
    My free non-legal advice would be to ignore the constant political drama in the news/social media as well as the stuff in clubs and just enjoy your new hobby. It gets better after the initial newbie period as you find what kind of shooting/firearms you like, and I think you'll find us to be a very welcoming community overall.
    CSSA | CCFR

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By amolkapoor

greywolf67nt (04-26-2017), Roland Deschain (07-28-2019)

I treat the transfer notice as a reg cert. If it's good enough to transport the firearm home, it's good enough to transport it to the range. There's nothing in the law that differentiates transporting for the purpose of bringing your new firearm home, and transporting for the purpose of going to the range, so it's all or nothing. I'm going with all.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By IJ22

auditman (04-30-2017)

re

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom
    There seems to be a lot of confusion around the authority that the Transfer Notification (Buyer) form provides. As we all know, this form is required when one purchases a firearm from a dealer or privately, to allow us to take possession and transport our new acquisition home. However and this has been confirmed by the CFO of Ontario, the Transfer Notification (Buyer) provides an additional authorization and I quote:
    "Yes it does give the buyer the right to transport to and from the club until the permanent registration cert comes in the mail 4-6 weeks after transfer is complete. This Buyer TN acts as your temporary reg cert. There are a few different provinces that may work a bit different but Ontario works this way."
    This should clarify once and for all that our Transfer Notification (Buyer) form acts as a temporary Firearm Registration Certificate allowing us to take our latest acquisition to the range as soon as we take possession of it. Remember to have a copy of the Transfer Notification (Buyer) with you at all times when transporting your new firearm.
    and now the fun begins ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldFrankHog
    This is a true story guys.
    In February I went to the range with only the buyers notice. It's about a 30 minute commute so you can imagine I was sweating some serious bullets. About 5 minutes form the range, god be damned, I pass a police cruiser going the other way. "That's it" I thought. "I'm going to jail". I try to look as innocent as possible and he passes me by without any fuzz. nice! But then i was so focused on the cruiser in my rear view that I kinda swerved close to the middle lines and jerked the wheel back a little.... The cruiser slows down and pulls a U-turn!!!!! "Damnit Damnit Damnit" "He knows, HE KNOWS!"... On come the lights... "####" Not wanting to make it worst and prepared to go to jail, I pull over slowly and curse the stupid impulse decision of being bold enough to challenge the law that morning. I hope I can still watch "The Voice" in jail. I'm sure gonna miss my mother's home made pudding pie too. Anyways, I pull out my wallet and start rolling down the window to show my hands empty, and the cruiser ROARS past me all sirens blazing and disappears around the next bend...
    WOW. What a close call...
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack
    ^ sounds like that time I took the second most direct route...
    I still have flashbacks.

13. The Following User Liked This Post By RangeBob

Roland Deschain (07-28-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast