Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    I thought this was going to involve a cannon and a five gallon bucket......

Well done though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTW View Post
    Most enjoyable aspect of the GOC forum is learning new things and advice freely given. You guys above rock, but I'm concerned about Kennymo and what he plans to do with the 5 gal bucket and cannon!
    I dont know how he knows about that, but that was FlyingHigh's gig. Shooting a pound of 'stuff' out of a canon at a bucket that was 5 feet away with powder charge that was measured with a styrofoam coffee cup.....well.....it doesnt really fall into the precision reloading theme of this thread.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

FlyingHigh (05-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I dont know how he knows about that, but that was FlyingHigh's gig. Shooting a pound of 'stuff' out of a canon at a bucket that was 5 feet away with powder charge that was measured with a styrofoam coffee cup.....well.....it doesnt really fall into the precision reloading theme of this thread.
    You didn't start out with one coffee cup then work up to two, three, etc... until you had a backwards shooting cannon again? Wasn't that load development with Unique?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post

There is a really good write-up on harmonics at VarmintAl's.
    http://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Fair warning: that's one deep rabbit-hole if you want to do some reading
    That guy has probably studied more about vibration and harmonics than anyone else that Ive ever associated with.....and he still uses terms like "fudge factor". This is why I say its beyond me and I dont even try to understand it. Theres just too much unknown at play to do it with computer models and calculations. All I know for sure is that the way you overcome it all and get accurate ammo is to follow the method laid out in post 1. Figuring out even half of the dynamic forces involved is WAAAAAAAY beyond what puts my brain onto locked up overload mode. Lol.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

BrotherRockeye (05-03-2017), Rory McCanuck (05-03-2017)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I see harmonics as "barrel music". It should be like in an elevator, not a rock concert.

I only go so far as to try to tune it out. I don't have the desire, time, or understanding to tune it in.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

You didn't start out with one coffee cup then work up to two, three, etc... until you had a backwards shooting cannon again? Wasn't that load development with Unique?
    Nope. I beleive the precise measurment of the load used to shoot the bucket was "a little bit more than last time". "Last time" was roughly 1/2 a coffee cup...precisely ish.

On topic, i use a sharpie to write my charges on the case itself and check it as i load the gun, so i dont't shoot a 55gr load at the 56gr targt for example.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

We were using unique powder. As far as the development part went...I chickened out after 1/3rd of a coffee cup. The bloody thing shakes the ground when you fire it and has shot down a tree. I never really felt the need to put even more powder in it. Lol.

Also on topic....as FlyingHigh said, and I left out....Mark the load you have in every cartridge on the outside of the case with a sharpie. No only does this let you know that you're putting the right role no in the right target....it also allows you to identify what load is in what cartridge when you accidentally tip over your ammo box. This saved an entire range day for me once. Yes, I'm one of those guys who has half the world cluttering his bench by midday. Sometimes stuff happens.
    GOC moderator
    www.tundrasupply.ca

I use a big MTM cartridge box to separate my test loads. With a sticky to remind me which end of the box is the minimum charge. All good so long as you don't upend the box with the lid open. Eyes on the box when loading to make sure you grab from the right row, I generally pack it from left to right as the cartridges come off the press to help avoid any oops moments as well....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I determine the bullet, Powder, and primer. Primer seating depth stays constant...say .007” jump...and load 5 shot groups in .3 gr increments from low to high for case capacities under 40grs, and by .5 gr increments for 40+gr capacity cases. Shoot at 100m and pic the best. Repeat the best adding charge weights .2 above and below the best. Once the best is established I start moving seating depths until I get the best results.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By 260 Rem

Rory McCanuck (11-30-2017)

If you shoot a single load 1 at target 1, load 2 at target 2, load 3 at target 3, etc up to load 5... then let the barrel cool.... Then next time start at load 5 and go down to load 1... Then cool... Then 1 to 5, or maybe switch it up and go 2 3 4 1 5 or something... You're taking the barrel temperature out of the equation. If you always go all of load 1, then cool, all of load 2, then cool, etc.. it's possible that you're shooting group 5 with a much hotter barrel than you shot group 1.

Being brand new to the reloading game, I really appreciate all of the information that you're all sharing!
    I'm loading for a Remington PCR in .308, my .30-.30 Winchester lever action, and my Remington 700 Tactical in .223
    I'm loving the process and learning about all of the load variations!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12