Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

X95, not all that great.

Ok I am not Johnny Joe cool weapons master, just a fire arms user that uses his fire arms for not shooting paper on the range.
    Final verdict is there is either a very long break in period associated with this rifle or something is seriously wrong with this rifle.
    It is the most inconsistent rifle I have owned.
    What seems to work the best through it is 53 gr hornaby super varmint.
    At a hundred meters it will put three under an inch and have two unexplainable flyers that bump it up over two inches.
    Surprisingly some regular 55 gr soft point ammunition I had performed similarly.
    Everything else was up to six inch groups with no rhymn or reason to shot pattern. Very perplexing.
    My final test with rifle is to consistently hit a 12 by 8 steel plate set at 174 meters. With the rifle that this rifle replaced I was able to consistently get eight or nine hits out of ten. With x95 I am only able to get 2 or 3 out of 10.
    That is not very usable accuracy.
    Am now committed to this rifle, so if anyone has any suggestions on possible fix's to rifle or an explanation as to why this rifle is so inconsistent that would be helpful.
    Barrel needs break in?

Thanks for sharing your data.
    Look up some you tube x95 accuracy reports, including Military Arms Channel, Honest Outlaw, IraqVeteran8888......
    Their anecdotal results seem to more or less align with your experience, the spread seems to be able to go up to 4 to 5 MOA. So a xy% of shots missing a 8' width plate at your distance is not inconceivable.
    Interestingly enough however some Canadian x95 owners on the other Canadian gun forum seem to be reporting/insisting on much much better anecdotal results at ~ 2 to 3 MOA, maybe they have some secret sauce that enable their x95s to be more accurate consistently.
    Accuracy concerns is one of the two reasons preventing me so far to add the x95 to my collection, as I am not willing to accept a modern service rifle that cannot deliver ~ 2 MOA. The original Tavor has been able to keep to ~ 2 MOA. I relegate 76.2x39 guns for > 3 MOA applications.
    The other reason is more temporary and style related, I'm waiting to see if RPM will come out with an x95 handguard, which I love on my Tavor.
    Last edited by norlandgeese; 05-03-2017 at 02:25 AM.

Your "flyers" may be the result of the barrel heating up. That rifle has a pencil barrel. Also, the X95 is not really designed to "shoot groups". Well, groups under 3 or 4 moa. It's a military rifle. Three to five moa is good enough and that's all it was designed for.

Try letting the barrel cool between shots if you really want the most accuracy out of it. The 55gr ball ammo is really all it was intended to use as well. You could try hand loading something lighter. Also, what is the optic you're using? Also, 174m is stretching it out a fair bit. It's really designed for closer shooting. Although calling it a true cqb is somewhat misleading. That's because it was to replace the M16 for the Israelis.

And, the barrel doesn't really have a break-in period. Again, not needed.
    Last edited by 6MT; 05-03-2017 at 05:13 PM.

I recently purchased an X-95. So far I have been very pleased with it. I did some fairly diligent research and spoke to long time Tavor owners. I was prepared for less than stellar accuracy. I have a load I use for CQB in my VLTOR AR. It is quite accurate considering I am using Hornady FMJ bullets and assorted cases. I tried that load first. Out of the box, no break in, it shot 10 shots at 100 yds measuriing 2.5". Not as good as with my AR but better than the usual 3-4 MOA that I was told to expect.
    It has a 1/7 twist barrel, 62 gr bullets are the recommended weight. I loaded some 69 gr. Nosler match bullets using VV powder, which has given me some excellent results in my AR's. First group of 5 shots at 100 yds measured 1.5". Second group measured 1.38"
    Some things I noticed while shooting these groups: It is very difficult, for me anyway, to get a solid consistent rest on bags with this rifle because of the bullpup configuration. You might want to check your positioning when shooting groups.
    The trigger is better than I expected. Apparently it is an improvement over the Tavor 21 trigger but, since this is my first Tavor, I have noting to compare it to. Take up is not too long, relatively good break.
    Overall, the gun performs very well. No failure to feed or eject using various cases and bullets. All mags drop freely and this includes P-Mags, 10 round LAR, and AR metal 5 round mags.
    It's easy to clean, very quick disassembly.
    I have been practicing CQB with it. Very fast follow up shots are easy, transits well. It has good balance, so easy to pick up targets and shoot. Really a lot of fun.
    OP, you didn't mention what types of ammo you used, factory brands, etc. Maybe you need to try other brands? Bullet weights? Heavier bullets work best in my X95.
    What sighs or optics are you using?
    OP, good luck with your X95. I think this rifle would be great for CQB applications. It is more than accurate for those distances. What I like about it is how it becomes an extension of the shooter. So easy to point and shoot with this rifle. I can't get enough of it right now. Hope things change for you.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

I sold my Tavor for that reason, I just couldn't get it to group versus my XCR. I wish I got someone else to shoot a group out of it before I sold it though. Just to make sure it wasn't me and it was the rifle. My Tavor was like 6 MOA at best, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn but the XCR was a good 2MOA rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
    I sold my Tavor for that reason, I just couldn't get it to group versus my XCR. I wish I got someone else to shoot a group out of it before I sold it though. Just to make sure it wasn't me and it was the rifle. My Tavor was like 6 MOA at best, couldn't hit the broadside of a barn but the XCR was a good 2MOA rifle.
    GA LB or stock trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Also, 174m is stretching it out a fair bit.
    I guess I better not think of one as most of my shooting is done at 300m
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

8. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

Mobusten (05-04-2017)

I'll say it again... Bullpups SUCK
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Grizz Axxemann

JustBen (05-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I recently purchased an X-95. So far I have been very pleased with it. I did some fairly diligent research and spoke to long time Tavor owners. I was prepared for less than stellar accuracy. I have a load I use for CQB in my VLTOR AR. It is quite accurate considering I am using Hornady FMJ bullets and assorted cases. I tried that load first. Out of the box, no break in, it shot 10 shots at 100 yds measuriing 2.5". Not as good as with my AR but better than the usual 3-4 MOA that I was told to expect.
    It has a 1/7 twist barrel, 62 gr bullets are the recommended weight. I loaded some 69 gr. Nosler match bullets using VV powder, which has given me some excellent results in my AR's. First group of 5 shots at 100 yds measured 1.5". Second group measured 1.38"
    Some things I noticed while shooting these groups: It is very difficult, for me anyway, to get a solid consistent rest on bags with this rifle because of the bullpup configuration. You might want to check your positioning when shooting groups.
    The trigger is better than I expected. Apparently it is an improvement over the Tavor 21 trigger but, since this is my first Tavor, I have noting to compare it to. Take up is not too long, relatively good break.
    Overall, the gun performs very well. No failure to feed or eject using various cases and bullets. All mags drop freely and this includes P-Mags, 10 round LAR, and AR metal 5 round mags.
    It's easy to clean, very quick disassembly.
    I have been practicing CQB with it. Very fast follow up shots are easy, transits well. It has good balance, so easy to pick up targets and shoot. Really a lot of fun.
    OP, you didn't mention what types of ammo you used, factory brands, etc. Maybe you need to try other brands? Bullet weights? Heavier bullets work best in my X95.
    What sighs or optics are you using?
    OP, good luck with your X95. I think this rifle would be great for CQB applications. It is more than accurate for those distances. What I like about it is how it becomes an extension of the shooter. So easy to point and shoot with this rifle. I can't get enough of it right now. Hope things change for you.

Nosler 62 gr varmint round, hornaby 62 gr, 55 gr hand loads, 55 gr factory various brands.
    53 gr hornaby super performance.
    Here's a weird one just for shits and giggled thought I would try some steel cased Russian 62 gr......8 out of 10 on steel plate at 174 meters.....Let's see if is repeatable....

174m? That's quite a distance for that. Not saying it won't shoot that far, but it's really not meant to be a "distance" rifle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast