Shotgun selection for 3-gun

Well, having just gotten into the exciting sport of 3-gun, I can't help but wonder what I should be running for a shotgun. I've got the rifle (with the exception of optics) and the pistol pretty much covered.

I've been using my Benelli SuperNova, because it's awesome and handles everything that I throw at it., but I think a shorter barrel would be useful. It can't quite squeeze the 5th round in the tube, so I might need an extension in which case, I might as well go all out.

To help me better decide what to run, I've came up with the following short questions. At this point, nothing is off the table, and I'm looking at about a budget of $500-600. Maybe I'm better off throwing and extension and a Burris SpeedBead on my SuperNova...

1. Pump or Semi-Auto? and why you'd choose one over another?

2. What optics or aiming system would you run?

3. What is the optimum barrel length and choke selection for a 3 gun shotgun?

Please post pics of your rig if you've got a multi-gun shotgun

1. What class do you want to shoot in? Pumps are great for capacity, and semi's are fast but limited to 5 by law.

2. Red dots are popular in open class, otherwise the good ol' bead site works great.

3. Barrel length shouldn't matter too much, but if you want to hold 8 shells then the barrel should match the mag tube. As for choke selection I learned the hard way that cylinder bore with 7.5 shot will not take the plates off a Texas Star... no matter how many rounds you throw at it. Go with IC or modified, and use the heaviest shot you can (normally number 4). If there are no steel targets, just clays, then cylinder bore and bird shot work great.

What is comes down to, is you want to take advantage of the rules and use the best shotgun for the class you want to shoot in. If you are out for fun, then bring your favorite shotgun.

I shoot purely for fun, so I bring my Remi 870 20ga, adjustable stock, 2 round ext. 18" barrel with bead sight. Like I mentioned earlier, I could not knock the plates off a Texas Star with bird shot, but there were a few steel targets with "no shoots" beside them and I successfully dropped the target without taking the no-shoot with it. Next time I'm coming with number 4 shot for the Star.

Oh, who knew picking a new shotgun to abuse could be so hard?!

I've made the following choices so far:

1. I'm going to run a plain old bead. No ghost rings or red dot wizardry for this boom stick.
    2. I'm not terribly concerned about overall capacity. Once the initial load up is finished, its going to be a "slow" process anyway, regardless of the magazine capacity.
    3. It must have interchangeable chokes. I'm shooting for a barrel length of approximately 20 to 24 inches.

I'm still stuck on the type of action. I've already decided I'm not running the heavy iron / He-man type divisions, so the only limitation on buying a semi over a pump is the cost and potential reliability concerns. The extra speed of the semi would equalize the extra magazine capacity of the pump.

My next question is to do with stock design - What are the pros and cons of running a pistol grip vs a conventional stock?

I don't know if there are any pro and cons... it just depends on what you are comfortable with. I prefer the pistol grip, especially on a pump. It's also more natural for me.

I did a bunch of shooting recently with few of my toys, and after shooting the pistol gripped shotgun, every other rifle I picked up I was reaching for the grip in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    Well, having just gotten into the exciting sport of 3-gun, I can't help but wonder what I should be running for a shotgun. I've got the rifle (with the exception of optics) and the pistol pretty much covered.

I've been using my Benelli SuperNova, because it's awesome and handles everything that I throw at it., but I think a shorter barrel would be useful. It can't quite squeeze the 5th round in the tube, so I might need an extension in which case, I might as well go all out.

To help me better decide what to run, I've came up with the following short questions. At this point, nothing is off the table, and I'm looking at about a budget of $500-600. Maybe I'm better off throwing and extension and a Burris SpeedBead on my SuperNova...

1. Pump or Semi-Auto? and why you'd choose one over another?

2. What optics or aiming system would you run?

3. What is the optimum barrel length and choke selection for a 3 gun shotgun?

Please post pics of your rig if you've got a multi-gun shotgun
    M4 with an AimPoint Micro...
    Ghosting the extra 2 rounds plus the speed with the semi-auto and the stock choke with it is a perfect fit. But if thats out of your price range then take a look at the versa max from remington as it's got all what you need minus the heafty price tag.

Well, long story short, I've abandoned my dreams of running a pimped out semi.

I've decided to go with a pistol grip stock and a magazine extension for my Supernova. It will just mean I have a few minutes of work if I want to convert between waterfowling mode and 3-gun mode.