Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    Bullets are bullets and ammunition is ammunition. There is no such thing as a "bullet tip" unless you mean the little plastic piece that fits in the nose of a Ballistic Tip bullet.
    Of course we knew what the OP meant but you had to be a A$$hole to a new guy. Congrats.

I have used various brands of ammo and PRVI .303 are good and the brass is good for reloading.

Have bought Sierra Match King HPBT and found them to be very good.

Not sure where you live but Del Selin's in Vernon BC and Jerry at Mystic Precision have supplied me. Problem shipping would be a killer.

Found a couple websites , one Canadian and other US selling .311 bullets lead casts for a reasonable price.

http://gardnerscache.com/303brit_190_lrn_g_c.html

http://www.thebulletbarn.com/bullets-lead.html.

I haven't got into reloading yet and gathering info for what I will be buying and from where. The .303 British is something I would like to start with and only reasonable price was on lead casts for bullets. My only concern with these bullets is how well would they perform for long distance shooting as compared to jacketed projectiles.

Bullets can't be shipped out of the States without that stupid export license.
    The cost is prohibitive unless you are making a large enough order to make it worthwhile, like several thousand dollars' worth the spread the cost thin enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by HitYad View Post
    http://www.thebulletbarn.com/bullets-lead.html.
    My only concern with these bullets is how well would they perform for long distance shooting as compared to jacketed projectiles.
    Either one of those should do really well.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

HitYad (05-25-2017)

Canada Ammo is selling 124gr .311 surplus bullets - pulled from old x39 ammo

I bought some to try in .303 and 54R, but likely won't get to it this year
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Try:http://www.higginsonpowders.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I guess the only store for the time being will be "The bullet barn" for .311 bullets. Their shipping policy seems reasonable too.

Found another source for 180 Gr soft point , jacketed. Not as cheap as the bullet barn though.
    https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting...0-bj-303-180-2

Thanks for the response. I guess the only store for the time being will be "The bullet barn" for .311 bullets. Their shipping policy seems reasonable too.

Found another source for 180 Gr soft point , jacketed. Not as cheap as the bullet barn though.
    https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting...0-bj-303-180-2
    Just realize that you won't be able to push cast lead bullets to the max, even if they are gas-checked. Probably 1800 FPS at most.
    Not exactly what you need for long range shooting.

That was one of the concerns I had about lead cast bullets deformation the moment they leave the barrel. I tried looking for hard casts in 311 but no luck. Do the hard casts exist in that caliber ? Given the alloy in most hard casts being a greater material strength compared to regular jacketed bullets, does the barrel go though more wear and tear ?

That was one of the concerns I had about lead cast bullets deformation the moment they leave the barrel. I tried looking for hard casts in 311 but no luck. Do the hard casts exist in that caliber ? Given the alloy in most hard casts being a greater material strength compared to regular jacketed bullets, does the barrel go though more wear and tear ?
    Everything that Bullet Barn sells would be the same hard cast. I used their .45 Colt 250 grain and these are pretty hard. I would guess that everything they sell, including those .311 bullets, are what they call Lyman #2 or "hardball" alloy, which is suitable for 1800 FPS with the right lube on the bullets, and in a good bore. You won't find anything harder, since hardball alloy is what just about all commercial bullet casters favor, mainly because boxed bullets will not deform by being bounced around during shipment.

My Lyman Cast Bullet handbook lists loads which max out at around 1750 FPS, which is pretty typical for cast bullet rifle loads using #2 alloy or hardball. If you wanted to push them faster, you would need to use a linotype alloy and cast them yourself, although this would result in very brittle bullets. Good for target shooting, but nothing else.

Although the #2 alloy used in cast bullets is harder than the core of jacketed bullets, the copper jacket creates a bullet that is harder than any cast bullet, and less malleable. That's why it can be pushed faster. The copper jacketed bullet won't strip in the rifling at the highest velocities the way that a lead bullet will. So, copper jacketed bullets create greater wear than hard cast lead bullets.

Really, if your objective is long range shooting, then you need the typical 2500 FPS of the .303 British cartridge. Jacketed bullets are the only way that you can achieve this in any practical way. That's why jacketed bullets came into use in the first place back around 1890.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By shootist1873

Billythreefeathers (05-26-2017), HitYad (05-26-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast