Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ticks

I haven't seen any on my dog. I had a nymph on me last month. Caught him on my shirt. When I was cutting firewood.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Interesting find today.

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...cine-28052018/

an exciting announcement, French drug manufacturer Valneva has announced that they’ve successfully completed their first-ever human trial of a vaccine against the disease
    . The vaccine, which is reportedly up to 96% effective, might soon be available in the UK and US at a “reasonably low” price.

Ticks really are horrendous creatures — they live in warm, humid vegetation, waiting on unsuspecting creatures to walk by so they can jump on and feed on their blood. To make matters even worse, ticks don’t just suck your blood, they also carry a wide range of pathogens, including viruses, bacteria, and protozoa. Among the disease which ticks can carry, the most feared one is Lyme Disease — and for good reason.
    Lyme Disease is one of the most common and widespread vector-borne illnesses in the Northern Hemisphere. After a tick bite, it typically kicks off through an expanding area of redness on the skin, though about one in four people don’t get a rash at all. If untreated, the disease can cause the loss of the ability to move one or both sides of the face, joint pains, severe headaches with neck stiffness, and to top it all off, the symptoms can resurface months or even years later. In some cases, the symptoms can re-emerge even after treatment, so it’s no wonder that Lyme Disease ha
    This is where the new vaccine kicks in. The vaccine typically works by kickstarting the immune system to produce antibodies that attack the bacteria hiding inside the insect, preventing them from entering the human blood. According to trials, the vaccine has been found to be between 71.4% and 96.4% effective.
    Things seem to bode well for this vaccine, as there are no significant side effects associated with it so far. The vaccine is available for adults or children as young as 2. After the vaccine is administered first, a booster dose is administered 13 months later, to improve effectiveness.
    David Lawrence, Valneva’s chief financial officer, told The Sunday Telegraph that the company was investing 262 million ($350 million) into the development of the vaccine, attempting to make it even more effective, and also making sure that it can be manufactured at a reasonable price.
    Valneva’s vaccine candidate, VLA15, is currently the only active vaccine program in clinical development against Lyme disease. The program was closely followed by national and international health bodies, being granted Fast Track designation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in July 2017.
    EDIT: The article was edited to clarify that this is not the first ever Lyme vaccine. In 1998, the FDA approved a new recombinant Lyme vaccine, LYMErix™, which reduced new infections in vaccinated adults by nearly 80%. Just 3 years later, the manufacturer voluntarily withdrew its product from the market amidst media coverage, fears of vaccine side-effects, and declining sales.
    s become so feared.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 06-07-2018 at 12:41 PM.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

3. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

Coke (06-07-2018)

I watched a Nova or Nature episode the other week, guy was genetically engineering field mice(apparently a key part of a ticks life cycle) to be immune to ticks.
    Which was supposed to eliminate or greatly reduce, the amount of lyme disease in that state.
    He got an OK from the town/city/state(I can't remember) to try it out on a secluded island first to see what the results were.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

I have shot some of the rabbits and squirrels here. They have lots of ticks on them. I am trying to keep the squirrels out of the attic. I wonder if some birds carry ticks?

Yes.

I live in the Sandilands forest in Manitoba, the ticks are always insane in the spring. You can't spend anytime outside and not expect to get ticks because they're everywhere and it seems they're on every blade of grass over 1 inches for the past month. I wear shorts outside with sandals because at least I can see/feel them crawling on my legs. I'm a hairy man so I feel them on my legs easily! If you wear pants, you won't feel them and you won't see them easily, if at all. With my dog, I have a tick collar on him and I put the liquid stuff on his back. He only get's ticks on his head so I have to deal with that more often than i'd like.

RobertMcC
    I got 2 on me recently. One at the gun club and another in my back yard.

I don't know why I hadn't seen this before now, but I'm glad I did. Thank you, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters and Great North Wildlife Affiliates.

https://www.ofah.org/membership/insu...ease-coverage/

when i read this thread it's like canada is infested by ticks? haven't seen one up in the laurentians....that doesn't means we're exempt of that disgusting and dangerous critter i guess. i'm gonna order 2 of those keys. this lyme disease scares the shyte out of me big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    when i read this thread it's like canada is infested by ticks? haven't seen one up in the laurentians....that doesn't means we're exempt of that disgusting and dangerous critter i guess. i'm gonna order 2 of those keys. this lyme disease scares the shyte out of me big time.
    Cabela's has a couple of different ones. I have three of them. And they work. I drove close to 300 miles with a tick in my beard. And one attached to my back. The wife took the one off my back with the key. The other one fell out of my beard into the sink. They both tested negative for Lyme's. The only way that I figured that I got them. Was when I was lifting the dogs into the box of the truck. Lots of them here in B.C. Especially in the semi desert areas.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By ruger#1

glockfan (10-03-2018)