Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks

RobertMcC
    Mom got bit last week, no bull eye target though. They said our county been generally low for Lyme Disease.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I've been told in the past that if you get bit, once you've been bitten, to get the tick off, and then keep it in a jar and take it with you when you go to the doc so they can test if for Lime. Given how bankrupt a good majority of our country's health care systems are, I'd be surprised if they actually did anything.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

rooivalk (05-25-2017)

We don't have many ticks up here north of Lake Superior, only seen two in my fifty plus years. One was back in the mid 90's my friend got one on his arm after we field dressed a moose and last year my dog got one on his head, I removed it with the tick key put it in a small container and brought it up to the Health Unit, they sent it away for testing, I got a phone call about 7 months later saying it tested negative for lime disease.

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Two springs back, I walked into an oak bluff to retrieve a game camera I'd neglected to pick up over the winter. Parked right at the edge, walked in and out maybe 50-60 feet each way. Spent the next three days picking off 40+ ticks, with absolutely no idea where some of them hid out for that long....welcome to Manitoba's Interlake :P

When my parents first bought their 360 acre hobby farm, there hadn't been any livestock on the place for a number of years. The ticks were so thick the first spring/summer that they were making the horses faint.
    And yet I remember when I was a young lad, a long time ago, there were no ticks up and Grandpa's near Moosehorn. I used to like going there in the summer because of this. Baba's down near Carlorie on the other hand ..... used to hate going there in the summer. Nothing but ticks!~ I remember watching an Uncle spend the better part of an afternoon pulling ticks off a Collie, lost count on the number...

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    I've been told in the past that if you get bit, once you've been bitten, to get the tick off, and then keep it in a jar and take it with you when you go to the doc so they can test if for Lime. Given how bankrupt a good majority of our country's health care systems are, I'd be surprised if they actually did anything.
    I'm told that most vets here in AB will send them in. So if the doc refuses take it to the vet

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    We don't have many ticks up here north of Lake Superior, only seen two in my fifty plus years. One was back in the mid 90's my friend got one on his arm after we field dressed a moose and last year my dog got one on his head, I removed it with the tick key put it in a small container and brought it up to the Health Unit, they sent it away for testing, I got a phone call about 7 months later saying it tested negative for lime disease.
    7 months....well....I guess they don't want to rush these things. What did they say when they called ? "Yep...its a good thing it didnt, because if it did, you would have had permanent neurological damage 3 months before we called you back."
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

And people wonder why I try to avoid going off pavement in the summertime.
    Yes, you can fix stupid, but the stupid folks have passed laws against it. - FallisCowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Northshore View Post
    Lots in the Thunder Bay area from what I have been told. That is where my daughter and son-in-law live and both had Lyme disease but diagnosed and treated very early.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    Lots in the Thunder Bay area from what I have been told. That is where my daughter and son-in-law live and both had Lyme disease but diagnosed and treated very early.
    I have close friends that live south of Thunder Bay down Highway 61 and their dog is always getting ticks. Not to bad for ticks up here though, although we had a fairly warm winter so it might get worse before it gets better.

Glad to hear your family got treated early, hope all is well with them.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    we have a tick checking routine at camp, check each other a couple of times a day,, plus I'm keeping the grass mowed extra short this year,, lots around SW Saskatchewan this year
    CSSA

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast