Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Ticks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    RobertMcC
    Guest

    Ticks

    Well I just noticed a huge tick on one of my indoor cats. Must have got on my shoes, then got into the sun porch where they like to lay in the sun.

    Anyone got good treatment to repel them from at least my sun porch. Also making them smell nice would be a plus.



    FYI the tick key works great.
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 05-17-2017 at 11:46 AM.

  2. #2
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Posts
    16,602
    Dont know about repelling them, but I recently saw a video where somebody put a couple of drops of mint oil on one. It took about 10 seconds and it pulled its head out and started trying to crawl away.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Rory McCanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Manitoba
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Dont know about repelling them, but I recently saw a video where somebody put a couple of drops of mint oil on one. It took about 10 seconds and it pulled its head out and started trying to crawl away.
    DON'T do this.
    Mint oil, vaseline, and every other snake oil 'they' say to put on them, will cause them to detach, but before they do, they'll puke up ugliness and inject it into your system.
    That will most definitely make you sick.

    Instead, grab the little buggers with tweezers as close to the skin as you can get.
    Pull them out and squish, burn, draw and quarter or whatever you feel is just punishment for them.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

  4. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

    awndray (05-26-2017), Cavs42 (06-15-2017), lone-wolf (05-26-2017), rooivalk (06-17-2019), ruger#1 (07-24-2017)

  5. #4
    RobertMcC
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    DON'T do this.
    Mint oil, vaseline, and every other snake oil 'they' say to put on them, will cause them to detach, but before they do, they'll puke up ugliness and inject it into your system.
    That will most definitely make you sick.

    Instead, grab the little buggers with tweezers as close to the skin as you can get.
    Pull them out and squish, burn, draw and quarter or whatever you feel is just punishment for them.
    That tick key works great.

  6. #5
    Moderator kennymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    DON'T do this.
    Mint oil, vaseline, and every other snake oil 'they' say to put on them, will cause them to detach, but before they do, they'll puke up ugliness and inject it into your system.
    That will most definitely make you sick.

    Instead, grab the little buggers with tweezers as close to the skin as you can get.
    Pull them out and squish, burn, draw and quarter or whatever you feel is just punishment for them.
    I used to load them in the Crossman over a .177 copper plated BB......I have to assume shooting them at fenceposts at 495 fps killed them, but we never did find much for remains....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

  7. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By kennymo

    Mark-II (06-16-2017), Rory McCanuck (06-06-2017)

  8. #6
    Go Canucks Go! lone-wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Isle Saint-Jean
    Posts
    15,253
    Vet Kem Siphotrol
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

    "It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

  9. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

    MissMeggie (06-25-2018)

  10. #7
    Member BCGUY12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Shuswap area of BC
    Posts
    98
    Bad year for them out here in BC Interior according to the local veterinarian. My wife has pulled 2 out of my scalp already this spring and I don't ever recall having had a tick before in my life. We've also noticed 4 or 5 on our clothes while hiking or shortly after getting home.

  11. #8
    Senior Member DanN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shuswap
    Posts
    2,565
    Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    Bad year for them out here in BC Interior according to the local veterinarian. My wife has pulled 2 out of my scalp already this spring and I don't ever recall having had a tick before in my life. We've also noticed 4 or 5 on our clothes while hiking or shortly after getting home.
    Seems we share a neighborhood. I haven't seen any ticks yet, but I haven't been out in the bush lately..
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Govít couldnít make sense if you gave them a recipe.

  12. #9
    Moderator kennymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    12,742
    Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    Bad year for them out here in BC Interior according to the local veterinarian. My wife has pulled 2 out of my scalp already this spring and I don't ever recall having had a tick before in my life. We've also noticed 4 or 5 on our clothes while hiking or shortly after getting home.
    Two springs back, I walked into an oak bluff to retrieve a game camera I'd neglected to pick up over the winter. Parked right at the edge, walked in and out maybe 50-60 feet each way. Spent the next three days picking off 40+ ticks, with absolutely no idea where some of them hid out for that long....welcome to Manitoba's Interlake :P

    When my parents first bought their 360 acre hobby farm, there hadn't been any livestock on the place for a number of years. The ticks were so thick the first spring/summer that they were making the horses faint.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

  13. #10
    Senior Member Grey_Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    Two springs back, I walked into an oak bluff to retrieve a game camera I'd neglected to pick up over the winter. Parked right at the edge, walked in and out maybe 50-60 feet each way. Spent the next three days picking off 40+ ticks, with absolutely no idea where some of them hid out for that long....welcome to Manitoba's Interlake :P

    When my parents first bought their 360 acre hobby farm, there hadn't been any livestock on the place for a number of years. The ticks were so thick the first spring/summer that they were making the horses faint.
    And yet I remember when I was a young lad, a long time ago, there were no ticks up and Grandpa's near Moosehorn. I used to like going there in the summer because of this. Baba's down near Carlorie on the other hand ..... used to hate going there in the summer. Nothing but ticks!~ I remember watching an Uncle spend the better part of an afternoon pulling ticks off a Collie, lost count on the number...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •