Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks

RobertMcC

Ticks

Well I just noticed a huge tick on one of my indoor cats. Must have got on my shoes, then got into the sun porch where they like to lay in the sun.

Anyone got good treatment to repel them from at least my sun porch. Also making them smell nice would be a plus.

FYI the tick key works great.
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 05-17-2017 at 11:46 AM.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Dont know about repelling them, but I recently saw a video where somebody put a couple of drops of mint oil on one. It took about 10 seconds and it pulled its head out and started trying to crawl away.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Vet Kem Siphotrol
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

4. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

MissMeggie (06-25-2018)

Bad year for them out here in BC Interior according to the local veterinarian. My wife has pulled 2 out of my scalp already this spring and I don't ever recall having had a tick before in my life. We've also noticed 4 or 5 on our clothes while hiking or shortly after getting home.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    Bad year for them out here in BC Interior according to the local veterinarian. My wife has pulled 2 out of my scalp already this spring and I don't ever recall having had a tick before in my life. We've also noticed 4 or 5 on our clothes while hiking or shortly after getting home.
    Seems we share a neighborhood. I haven't seen any ticks yet, but I haven't been out in the bush lately..
    "I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well." - Strike that. I do have a problem; the gov't has decided some are too dangerous to own.
    Membership: CCFR, SAFGC
    Govít couldnít make sense if you gave them a recipe.

There is a way of combating them but for some reason it is beyond rare that it is done. Involves something like a toilet paper roll/cotton batten and a chemical and then distributed in areas where mice frequent.

The mice take the cotton batten for their nest and seeing as the mouse is the first host for the tick they are killed by the poison in the nest. Apparently it is harmless to the mouse but VERY DEADLY to cats. From what I have read this has been quite effective in controlling the tick population where it is used, just wonder why it isn't used on a regular basis.

There was a time a few years ago that the medical profession denied there was Lyme disease in BC, what a crock of BS that was and now it is a serious issue in some areas.

Both my daughter and son-in-law had Lyme disease and it was caught very early thankfully.

Thanks for the heads up on the issue in the BC interior, we will be extra vigilant from now on.

My friend was saying he stuck his hand in a clump of grass by his shed to pick something up last week, and in that short of time one got on him and was about to settle in.

That vet kem stuff is what my mother uses, dog groomer, apparently it's what the vet office she used to work at was using too.
    I bombed a shady basement apartment I had with the stuff, the place was crawling with spiders... not after that weekend.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

If you are bitten by a tick and you develop a "Bullseye" rash, it means you have contracted Lyme disease. I'm told this is 100% certain, and many doctors don't want to diagnose or admit it for whatever reason. If you get treated for lyme disease right away, apparently it's not too bad. But, if you wait....you are going to suffer severe medical issues that will be much harder to treat. If you notice a bullseye rash at the bite site, get treated for LYME disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
    If you are bitten by a tick and you develop a "Bullseye" rash, it means you have contracted Lyme disease. I'm told this is 100% certain, and many doctors don't want to diagnose or admit it for whatever reason. If you get treated for lyme disease right away, apparently it's not too bad. But, if you wait....you are going to suffer severe medical issues that will be much harder to treat. If you notice a bullseye rash at the bite site, get treated for LYME disease.
    Correct, sometimes referred to as a "target". My daughter had the target and her doctor said not Lyme, she was pi$$ed and went to another doctor who said YUP, treated her immediately and no further issues.

IIRC there was a Dr. in BC that was chastised for saying there was Lyme disease in BC and he eventually left over the BS that ensued. Now from what I understand there are areas in the lower mainland that are rampant for Lyme disease.

I donated to a "go fund me" a couple years ago, lady from the lower mainland undergoing serious treatment in the USA from being misdiagnosed and was critically ill.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGUY12 View Post
    Two springs back, I walked into an oak bluff to retrieve a game camera I'd neglected to pick up over the winter. Parked right at the edge, walked in and out maybe 50-60 feet each way. Spent the next three days picking off 40+ ticks, with absolutely no idea where some of them hid out for that long....welcome to Manitoba's Interlake :P

When my parents first bought their 360 acre hobby farm, there hadn't been any livestock on the place for a number of years. The ticks were so thick the first spring/summer that they were making the horses faint.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast