Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold plating...

Gold plating...

Hey folks,

Technical question for you guys. I searched online for gold plating stainless steel and gold plating, and tried the same on GOC. Got nothing that answered my questions. Still got a lot of research to do, but hoping you guys can help me point in the right direction. I have a Smith And Wesson 460XVR that I absolutely adore, and I'm thinking about making it something "extra special". I want to gold plate all the exposed parts (frame, barrel, hammer, cylinder-but not cylinder face, controls). I still don't know exactly what the metals involved are, and have to figure that out to know what I need to make this work, buy does anyone have any suggestions for gold plating equipment or supplies, or any advice from experience? Thanks again guys, GOC'ers are awesome!

Does it need to be real gold?

I should gold-plate my SKS, lower my pickup, get some rap CDs and wear a bandana at the range.

If you have the gold, and a bit of ingenuity, and a shop, you can do it yourself.
    I know AvE has done some goldplating on Youtube, with gold he mined himself.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Caution, he might say a bad word or two.

And here, about 8 minutes in.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

firemachine69 (06-03-2017)

i would send it away and get the whole thin Titanium Nitride coating..... longer lasting finish and looks as good (and about 1/4 the price), considering most gunsmiths are coating high wear parts the finish is infinitely more durable..... if you want a safe queen, go gold.... if you want to use your gun go tiNi

TN

AU

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Westicle

lone-wolf (06-03-2017), mtlgun (06-03-2017), Swampdonkey (06-03-2017)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    The short answer is, I wouldn't try it myself if there was even a remote, pain in the a--, option of getting a professional plating company to do it for you. Yeah...now we come into the whole ATT and restricted firearm thing. We're not even going to touch that, and we'll just focus on the actual process. To be done properly, it needs to be clean, clean, clean, and then cleaner than clean. In professional plating shops, this is achieved by various hot acid and water baths before any plating is even attempted. You might be able to do it yourself, yes, but it's not going to be as simple as throwing a gold plate into an acidic electrolyte bath, dumping some current through it, and you're done. I can almost guarantee you won't be happy with the results. There's a fair bit to it. If you just want a rough job done, hell...give it a shot. If you want that gun to be "something special", I highly doubt you're going to be doing it yourself without a LOT of money spent, and a lot of experimentation before you try to do the final work.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Thanks for the input so far. I understand there will be an investment in plating equipment if I do this myself, I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on any of the home plating kits/equipment available that would give the desired results (specific suppliers/brands/makes/models). I understand that it's a meticulous process, but I have a meticulous nature, and I'm sure I'm suited to the task. As far as other coatings go, I do intend to experiment with stuff like cerakote on other projects in the future, but I want real gold for this one. This revolver is almost ridiculously excessive by design. What better way to make it completely ridiculous in excess by plating it with real gold? If I have to retouch later, so be it! You never hear of rappers wearing cerakote grills, right? They go all the way!

It's one of the many things that is entirely doable with enough time and money. Mostly money. Gold is currently running $1,724.12Cdn per ounce plus a bunch of assorted fees. Gold is soft stuff. It'll wear off easily.
    Getting a professional plating company to do it would be highly unlikely. Any company doing anything to any firearm is required to have a firearms business licence and anybody doing the actual work plus the owners of the company are required to have a PAL/RPAL. Very much doubt you'll find a properly licenced place
    Caswell Plating will sell you a kit with instructions starting at $879Cdn.
    https://www.caswellcanada.ca/24ct-gold-plating-kit.html

Will check it out. Found a few other places with kits as well. If I decide it's feasible, will definitely put up before and after pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast