Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swedish Ljungman AG-42b 6.5x55mm rifles

How many like their Swedish Ljungman AG-42b 6.5x55mm rifle? I find them and their 8mm brother (the Hakim) to be very underrated and just as good a semi auto battle rifle as a SVT-40, Garand or FN-49 from around the same time period.

I know they are way more accurate and easier to shoot than the others above. The ones I have owned generally shoot just as well as the bolt action Swedish Mausers I have had also used. They were also used in competition shooting way back.

There is a very interesting Guns magazine article that has pictures and mentions their use by the Swedish team at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, starting on page 13 of this PDF link. (you will need a PDF viewer plugin in your browser to view) -

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ts1QmMfWYkCqYQ

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

Doug_M (06-14-2017), Swampdonkey (06-12-2017)

Lovely rifles the Ljungman just mind your digits and watch the brass scatter on ejection. But indeed very accurate shoots better than my terrible eyes can see!

Also great article and even better pictures!
    I shot a 1910 ross and still have everything minus my marbles if you find them please do not return to owner

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Ballsofice

M1917 Enfield (06-13-2017)

I loved mine but it was to expensive to feed so I re-homed it in exchange for a Savage Lee Enfield. The big thing about the AB42B is that they kill the brass. You need to have a source of cheap brass/ammunition or it will be a safe queen.
    My other Swedes are excellent shooters - they're not going anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by saskminer View Post
    I loved mine but it was to expensive to feed so I re-homed it in exchange for a Savage Lee Enfield. The big thing about the AB42B is that they kill the brass. You need to have a source of cheap brass/ammunition or it will be a safe queen.
    My other Swedes are excellent shooters - they're not going anywhere!
    That was a shame! A Ljungman in 6.5x55mm is a very versatile rifle and has a very accurate round that is much flatter shooting then the 2 groove Savage No.4 LE in .303.

If you do the gas port mod and load with medium fast burning powders you can completely avoid the brass damage issue that is usually caused by shooting 6.5x55mm ammo loaded with the usual slow burning powders which give best velocities and pressures in bolt action rifles but is completely unsuitable for these semi auto fixed gas system rifles!

Most semi auto battle rifles like the M14 rifles in .308/7.62x51mm NATO and M1 Garand rifles in .30-06 also work best with the correct medium fast burning powders and bullets of around 150 grs and can damage brass and cause cases head separation and damaged rifles if loaded with slow burning powders as the pressure is still high from the slow burning powder as the bullet passes the gas port and the case starts being extracted while the case side walls are still expanded and gripping against the chamber.

This sometimes leads to bent op rods (M1 and M14), case head ruptures or gas damaged rifles or lost extractors from the violent extraction before the slow-burning powder gas pressure has had time to vent off at the muzzle brake behind the bullet exiting at the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    That was a shame! A Ljungman in 6.5x55mm is a very versatile rifle and has a very accurate round that is much flatter shooting then the 2 groove Savage No.4 LE in .303.

If you do the gas port mod and load with medium fast burning powders you can completely avoid the brass damage issue that is usually caused by shooting 6.5x55mm ammo loaded with the usual slow burning powders which give best velocities and pressures in bolt action rifles but is completely unsuitable for these semi auto fixed gas system rifles!

Most semi auto battle rifles like the M14 rifles in .308/7.62x51mm NATO and M1 Garand rifles in .30-06 also work best with the correct medium fast burning powders and bullets of around 150 grs and can damage brass and cause cases head separation and damaged rifles if loaded with slow burning powders as the pressure is still high from the slow burning powder as the bullet passes the gas port and the case starts being extracted while the case side walls are still expanded and gripping against the chamber.

This sometimes leads to bent op rods (M1 and M14), case head ruptures or gas damaged rifles or lost extractors from the violent extraction before the slow-burning powder gas pressure has had time to vent off at the muzzle brake behind the bullet exiting at the muzzle.
    Yes I still kick myself for getting rid of it...
    Reloading is still fairly new to me and brass is rare in my neck of the woods.

I really want to get my paws on a AG42 or Hakim... Need to get handloading gear first though I think.

Quote Originally Posted by saskminer View Post
    Yes I still kick myself for getting rid of it...
    Reloading is still fairly new to me and brass is rare in my neck of the woods.
    Trade-Ex and some other dealers sells the brass! I have never had trouble getting plenty of 6.5x55mm brass from mail order dealers!

Quote Originally Posted by altitude604 View Post
    I really want to get my paws on a AG42 or Hakim... Need to get handloading gear first though I think.
    The 8mm Hakim is a sweet accurate shooter as well and does not kick much either! It also already has a adjustable gas system which is a bonus.

I bought one recently, but haven't shot it yet. I plan on hitting the range on Saturday to try it out. I really like how well it is made. Seems to be very high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeegler View Post
    I bought one recently, but haven't shot it yet. I plan on hitting the range on Saturday to try it out. I really like how well it is made. Seems to be very high quality.
    You will be amazed at how well they shoot for a old school, full sized semi-auto battle rifle. They are very well built!

There are a couple of brands of ammo that don't shoot well or are loaded with too slow burning powder and are not best for them but other than that you should be good to go! I can not remember which brands of factory ammo is not suitable for the AG-42b Ljungman as I for years now only reload my 6.5x55mm ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast