Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hodgdon 700-x powder

I am having a problem with this powder in my Lee powder measure. I cannot get consistent measures. They are as much as 0.6 grains difference, the average being 0.3 grains different. The reload I want to use gives a min to max value of 0.5 grains. I do not want to have to measure each load. Ideas?

Which Lee measure are you using?
    With the Perfect Powder Measure, it seals with a cone being jammed into an inverted cone.
    If the mating surfaces aren't perfectly smooth, fine ball powders and thin flakes can get into the low spots and jam things up, or leak them out the side.
    You can try tightening the screw on the side just a skosh, that will bring the two surfaces closer together and might prevent it.
    I lapped mine with some valve grinding compound, and that took off the high spots and made it much smoother, although I still don't use it for flakes or ball, I use one of my other measures.

If you tighten the screw too much, it will cause too much resistance on the handle, and that will make it difficult to operate the handle smoothly and consistently.
    I have found that to be the most important thing using that measure; I know just by how the handle throws if that charge is going to be 0.1gr high or low.

Regardless of the measure, many people say that having a powder baffle will even things out, keeping a more consistent weight of powder going in, regardless of how much is in the hopper.
    Take a business card, fold it in half, cut a hole in the centre and trim the outside edges round.
    Push it to the bottom of the hopper and pour in the powder.

With flake powders I've had really good luck with just the plain Lee dipper.
    With a bit of practise it can be quite accurate.
    Not much good if your dipper doesn't throw the charge you need, though.

Looking through my test notes, none of my measures did really well with measuring Unique, a flake powder, but the two best were the Herters and CH measures, both of which have a baffle.
    I haven't run that test on the Lee yet, becuse I'm not looking forward to cleaning it out after everything gets jammed up.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

magnumsmith (06-17-2017)

Try it with a powder baffle, or try another powder measure like the hornady or rcbs.
    And as always, have a nice day!

I constructed a baffle and that helped. I also started to thump the drum 3 times (my natural rhythm) when I opened the drum to the powder. I had 5 measures in a row all within 0.01 grains. The worst measure I had in 20 tries was 0.1 grains which is well within an acceptable measure as I don't want max measures anyway. Thanks for the input.

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By magnumsmith

GTW (06-18-2017), Rory McCanuck (06-18-2017)

I forgot to mention that other reloaders took their powder measures apart and wiped them down with an anti-static dryer sheet and that also helped.

I used up several kegs of 700x but in shotgun press, loads seemed consistent. Never ran it through a powder measure just the bushings on my old pacific. I will have to try it in the RCBS chargemaster.

I use the Lee pro auto-disk powder measure that came with my load master press, it also is a little inconsistent, but with with tite group powder. It varies about .02 grains.
    Now I am going to try making a baffle.
    "If I could time travel I would go back to 1971 and slip Pierre Trudeau a condom!" From: This hour has 22 minutes

What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

And as always, have a nice day!

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Kegcaissy

magnumsmith (06-21-2017)

The only powder mesure that I find consistent with 700x is the Lyman #55. All my other mesures, Lee and Hornady, give crappy results.
    Don't retreat.....just reload!

13. The Following User Liked This Post By Armored Metal

magnumsmith (07-23-2017)

Sometimes it's best to just pick a different powder.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast