Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My latest free pickup was a pair of plyers, daughter wondered why I would stop in middle of the road and grab plyers from the gravel. Had to explain "Tools are useful no matter where they come from"

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By road kill

Rory McCanuck (09-06-2019), Waterloomike (09-06-2019)

Years ago worked with a lady whose husband drove a garbage truck in Vancouver.

She told me he would constantly bring home perfectly good items. Once a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat in next to new condition that was tagged for the garbage collector to take. He tied it to the side of the truck.

Many times full cases of toilet paper from one drug store (well known) that were unopened and in perfect condition???

Power tools in good condition, the list was endless.

Nowadays doubt it would be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    Years ago worked with a lady whose husband drove a garbage truck in Vancouver.

She told me he would constantly bring home perfectly good items. Once a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat in next to new condition that was tagged for the garbage collector to take. He tied it to the side of the truck.

Many times full cases of toilet paper from one drug store (well known) that were unopened and in perfect condition???

Power tools in good condition, the list was endless.

Nowadays doubt it would be that good.
    I think it would be better in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I think it would be better in this day and age.
    I don't know. Many years ago my dad and I used to do the rounds of all the pawn shops looking for good deals. There used to be a lot of good stuff for some good prices. Then the prices went up and then the good stuff dried up to the point that only junk was left. Then all the pawn shops started closing except for one.

Garage sales were the same. Now around here it's all over priced junk.

I attribute this to the internet. Now everyone knows how to use the internet and everyone can go online and see what they think things are worth. So instead of placing that item in a garage sale for $5 just to get rid of it (or taking it to the pawn shop), they are placing it into the online classifieds for $50 and sitting on it for who knows how long.

Family wants to do a garage sale. I have zero interest in making sub minimum wage to argue over a dollar with idiots. I'd rather give the stuff to someone who needs it and will use it, rather than try to flog it to someone looking to make a buck
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

7. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By Mark-II

ESnel (09-06-2019), Lee Enfield (09-08-2019), R&R Rancher (09-06-2019), ruger#1 (09-06-2019), stewbud (09-06-2019)

To me the worst thing about having a garage sale is the lost time. Kills most of a weekend and some evenings. My time off work is precious to me and I truly hate to waste it on something like a garage sale
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Rory McCanuck (09-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    My latest free pickup was a pair of plyers, daughter wondered why I would stop in middle of the road and grab plyers from the gravel. Had to explain "Tools are useful no matter where they come from"
    My buddy's father made a point of stopping every time he saw something shiny on the side of the road.
    It was a bit annoying to go on any trips with him, but it was an absolute treat to work in his garage. I bet he had 40 pairs of Vice-Grips in every size, shape, and configuration possible.
    He was proud of the fact that he'd never bought a pair.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

11. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

road kill (09-06-2019), Waterloomike (09-06-2019)

If they're throwing them out, might as well pick them up for free.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

In the last several years I have collected hammers, plyers, a new tire and rim, a step ladder and several good scoop shovels. It pays to keep your eyes open when driving.

"It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456