Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar

Addiction Alert - Horseback Archery

Today I tried out jousting at a quintaine, chopping heads off poles with a sword on a pole bending course and learned how to spear a pig with a javelin. (Waiting for my video to be uploaded, I'm pretty pleased with myself HA. I must have some Mongolian blood in my heritage ) Got to try out a horse bow and learned some tricks about shooting while in motion. I'm in love.

Going back to shooting targets just standing there suddenly has lost all appeal...has anyone out there done shooting (archery or otherwise) on horseback and have some tips to share?

Hello newest addiction, goodbye savings

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Candychikita

Swingerguy (08-17-2017)

So......you're learning to be a Mongolian warrior.

Interesting. Sounds like fun.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson

Sounds interesting. Eyewateringly expensive since it involves horses, but fun.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By R&R Rancher

kennymo (08-15-2017), Strewth (08-17-2017)

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    Dang, I like all those things!

That sounds like something I could get caught up in...although my horses are pretty much just lawn mowers these days with me being away most of the time...
    I need a lottery win so I can stay home...c'mon lotto win!!!
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

I've often thought it would be neat to bow hunt from a horse. Got a nice quiet mare, a bow.... just need to learn to ride....

South East from the center of the Universe
    Perhaps google this fellow Candy, he seems to be the real deal and has training camps in Canada. I believe your learning curve to be a steep and long one, but congratulations for finding something you enjoy.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Plinker 777

Candychikita (08-16-2017)

Try selling the idea to management as a great tool for mediating issues in the workplace

11. The Following User Liked This Post By ESnel

Candychikita (08-16-2017)

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    It was fun Doubt I'd be bloodthirsty enough to be a warrior

My kids have been whining about wanting to lease a horse, and while they still need to learn the basics of horsemanship, I've already dabbled in more than the usual horsey offerings for English and Western. Not Olympic caliber by any means but proficient enough. I wanted to be an ostrich jockey growing up so figured I'd go for breadth of training for the offchance I may have the opportunity bahahaha. Right now I'm going to rig up a plastic rain barrel on a frame with castors and they can drag me around while I practice techniques hahahaha. Earn your keep, ya rodents!

Next weekend is a mounted armed combat class. I've also found an archery group that actually "wars" by shooting marshmallow like tipped arrows at each other, and there is broadsword drop in practice at JIBC on Tuesday nights (maybe Thursday too?). The fact this stuff exists in large enough groups to run classes is just fantastic.

13. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Candychikita

BrotherRockeye (08-17-2017), ESnel (08-17-2017), Plinker 777 (08-18-2017), R&R Rancher (08-17-2017), RangeBob (08-17-2017), Strewth (08-17-2017)

South East from the center of the Universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Candychikita View Post
    It was fun Doubt I'd be bloodthirsty enough to be a warrior

My kids have been whining about wanting to lease a horse, and while they still need to learn the basics of horsemanship, I've already dabbled in more than the usual horsey offerings for English and Western. Not Olympic caliber by any means but proficient enough. I wanted to be an ostrich jockey growing up so figured I'd go for breadth of training for the offchance I may have the opportunity bahahaha. Right now I'm going to rig up a plastic rain barrel on a frame with castors and they can drag me around while I practice techniques hahahaha. Earn your keep, ya rodents!

Next weekend is a mounted armed combat class. I've also found an archery group that actually "wars" by shooting marshmallow like tipped arrows at each other, and there is broadsword drop in practice at JIBC on Tuesday nights (maybe Thursday too?). The fact this stuff exists in large enough groups to run classes is just fantastic.
    Play safe...or; play like a Viking. Have fun at it!
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.