Industry expert

installing a scope base rings and scope

here is a pretty simple method to install a scope that ensures that it is secure and level.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    That was a good video.

One thing I've always wondered is why does one use 2 sets of levels when leveling a scope? Something I'm genuinely interested in understanding.

If everything is in sync, shouldn't we really be only concerned about the scope being level? If the action/receiver and barrel are true then the mere fact of the scope being level should be all that matter. If the action/barrel are not true even when the scope is level then what can we really do about it?

If the action isn't level then you could somehow offset the scope being level to get the action being level when shooting but then your scope wouldn't be level and thus your corrections/clicks inaccurate unless you computed that offset in your calculations.

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see why we really care for the barrel/actions level other than initially making sure we installed the base level correctly but if were talking something like a flat top AR or a one piece chassis system with the rail already built in what good does making sure it's level do?

That was entertaining, but I will stick to using machinists levels and torque wrenches thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    That was a good video.

One thing I've always wondered is why does one use 2 sets of levels when leveling a scope? Something I'm genuinely interested in understanding.

If everything is in sync, shouldn't we really be only concerned about the scope being level? If the action/receiver and barrel are true then the mere fact of the scope being level should be all that matter. If the action/barrel are not true even when the scope is level then what can we really do about it?

If the action isn't level then you could somehow offset the scope being level to get the action being level when shooting but then your scope wouldn't be level and thus your corrections/clicks inaccurate unless you computed that offset in your calculations.

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see why we really care for the barrel/actions level other than initially making sure we installed the base level correctly but if were talking something like a flat top AR or a one piece chassis system with the rail already built in what good does making sure it's level do?
    Sight a gun in at 100 yards and then tilt the gun to the side and shoot. It will not hit the same place even though your crosshairs will be aiming at the same spot. So by making sure the gun is level first and then leveling the scope you're trying to make sure the bullet comes out where it should every time. In reality you could just mount the scope without leveling it and as long as your gun is held the same way every time you could shoot it just fine like that.

Funny I just watched the video. That is the exact way we mount scopes here in the shop using the same exact bubble level kit. I even noticed we have the same bench vise and even the same exact cordless phone. Must all come as a gunsmith kit
    Last edited by Drache; 11-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.

I really should get some levels. Tired of guys telling me my scopes are crooked..
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I really should get some levels. Tired of guys telling me my scopes are crooked..
    We have mounted scopes using levels and guys will tell us they are crooked... right up until you have the barrel level on the gun and realize they are holding the gun crooked

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    We have mounted scopes using levels and guys will tell us they are crooked... right up until you have the barrel level on the gun and realize they are holding the gun crooked
    Not the first time I've heard that story either

I'm left handed and my dad is right. I set up a scope on his .22. He said it was crooked, twisted it around, and when I looked through it the crosshairs had maybe a 30 degree tilt.

My biggest problem is with the tube twisting as I get the rings clamped
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Industry expert
    To be honest I’m a big fan of leveling the rifle the leveling the crosshairs using a plumb bob at 100 yards or the flashlight method and plumb bob