Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not playing games, just hoping you knew how to figure this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by icehunter121 View Post
    Rob...why are you trying to play games with me? Just because you got a mold,some slugs, and a few round balls on a purchase does NOT mean that they were intended for that rifle.Why are you wasting my time??

Crazy horsechick whisperer icehunter121's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
    Not playing games, just hoping you knew how to figure this stuff out.
    If you are sure its .54 cal,may I suggest the book by I believe is by Sam Fadella. Its on black powder shooting and chock full of info as well as loading data.I am not gonna take a guess as to what you have or even a starting load for it. But by comparing your rifles to examples in the book it will give you a pretty good starting point..As to your other question,try to keep the barrel as vertical as possible while loading.Even if its a foot taller then you with a powder funnel your are still able to load it verticle.More important after that is to make sure to seat the ball or slug firmly against the powder so you have no air gaps in it.
    Last edited by icehunter121; 10-04-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Nicely done!
    I don't suffer fools gladly

If you load a ball but forget the powder, take off the nipple- the ball should not be all the way back but if it is use a nail or some such tool to force it away from the breach a bit then put powder behind the bullet, but the nipple back in place, cap it and shoot it the ball should now come out. Simple but a neophyte may need this knowledge.
    janice
    Last edited by Twosteam; 12-23-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    Ahhh Grasshopper, (shakes head) but consistency is the sign of a stagnant mind.

Love this thread, if you don't have a measure for your powder use a cut down rifle casing. Them ''heavy factory patches'' I never had much luck with them , broke to many ram rods. I went to a fabric shop & purchased a couple of yards of ''pillow ticking'', feel it between your fingers. I trace the outline of the tin of percussion caps (bottom half) on to the ticking, then cut out with scissors, then I store them in discarded percussion tin. Always put your ball into muzzle with the mold scar or casting mark facing out the barrel, improves accuracy. Keep up the good work!
    ''Are you going to pull those pistols, or whistle dixie''

^^ I got my first powder measure when my grandfather gifted me his .54 Hawken. It was a 12 gauge shotshell that had been cut down to the appropriate depth with a pencil hot glued to the bottom for a handle.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Edenchef (01-25-2015)

I had two .50 Caliber "Hawking" rifles. Sold them awhile ago because there was just no one to shoot with. Were extremely accurate. Minute of 2 Liter pop bottle at 150 yards

New to BP so this was some great basic information.

Just wondering Pyrodex vs Blackpowder?Is there a reason other than availability to use one over the other?Speaking of which if someone could point me in the direction of who carries powder for muzzle loaders in the lower mainland it would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to include any and all tips,hints and hacks that a novice can use.

Thanks,
    Eric

Pyrodex makes less smoke. There's some newer alternatives out there that are both smokeless (more or less) and require less cleaning, but that's hardly any fun.

Never even considered black powder and wasn't even going to read this thread, glad I did though, interesting read and good info . Thinking about how I have no more room. thx
    ex NFA , C.C.F.R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast