Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

22 magnum, what make/model is yours?

I picked up a Marlin XT-22 MVSR a few years back, very happy with it, it's accurate, has a smooth bolt action and never has any feeding issues, it shoots a sub moa group @ 100 yards.
    It has a 22" stainless 3/4" bull barrel and synthetic stock so it is certainly an all weather type rifle.
    They do not come with sights so I topped it with a Bushnell trophy 3-9 x 40, but may upgrade that to something a little bit better yet.
    I understand they have discontinued this rifle and I would say that was a mistake based on my experience.
    I'm thinking about picking up a 17HMR one of these days to add to my collection as well and would welcome any feedback on these.
    I understand the new Savage A17 and A22 Mag both have feeding issues and hard to load clips.
    I may stick with a good old bolt action for reliability.

I have a winchester 9422m as my 22magnum, a fun little beast, never shot it for groups though.
    Some day I'd like to get a tang mounted peep sight on it.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

A rather beat up Winchester 67 that started out life as a 22LR. Haven't fired it in a while, the steel is pretty rusted and pitted on the outside, bore is good enough to print dinner plate sized groups at 100 yards with the open sights. I think we bought it at auction for $10 when I was 12 years old. The front sight had been snapped off at some point....I think the one in there now was out of a 700 BDL, looks a hair odd without the Remington ramp to fill in the gap at the back.

I've been looking for a 22 mag repeater for some time now. Just haven't found the exact right one yet, but it will be tube fed....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I have a winchester 9422m as my 22magnum, a fun little beast, never shot it for groups though.
    Some day I'd like to get a tang mounted peep sight on it.

I had one of those with a beautiful walnut stock. My eyes were going for a crap and I couldn't see the open sights worth a damn so I sold it.
    I was so sorry that I sold it after I had lasik eye surgery a few years later though and my sight was restored.
    I don't think I've had a better lever action rifle in my life than this Winchester 9422 and it was deadly accurate.
    The hooded front sight was an added bonus.
    If I ever get the chance to buy another in good shape I will in a heartbeat.
    They are indeed 'a fun little beast'
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
    A rather beat up Winchester 67 that started out life as a 22LR. Haven't fired it in a while, the steel is pretty rusted and pitted on the outside, bore is good enough to print dinner plate sized groups at 100 yards with the open sights. I think we bought it at auction for $10 when I was 12 years old. The front sight had been snapped off at some point....I think the one in there now was out of a 700 BDL, looks a hair odd without the Remington ramp to fill in the gap at the back.

I've been looking for a 22 mag repeater for some time now. Just haven't found the exact right one yet, but it will be tube fed....
    My Marlin bolt is clip fed, one of the smoothest I've ever seen, but I hear ya, the tube fed ones are quite nice as well, like the Winchester 9422 mag that I owned previously.
    If you ever see one like my Marlin XT-22 MVSR for sale I wouldn't let the clip fed part of it hold you back though.
    I'm anxious to get out for another hunting season, as I'm sure we all are, our small game season opens on Sept. 15th, a week from this Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by maglvr View Post
    My Marlin bolt is clip fed, one of the smoothest I've ever seen, but I hear ya, the tube fed ones are quite nice as well, like the Winchester 9422 mag that I owned previously.
    If you ever see one like my Marlin XT-22 MVSR for sale I wouldn't let the clip fed part of it hold you back though.
    I'm anxious to get out for another hunting season, as I'm sure we all are, our small game season opens on Sept. 15th, a week from this Friday!
    I have an XT22 in 22LR, in the plain hardwood stock. It's a good little utilitarian gun, but I always prefer buying something a little different rather than ten guns the same.... The Marlin tube fed bolt is actually the one I wanted, but seems discontinued. Came in either a nicer walnut stock with better bluing and sights than the XT or a stainless/pepper laminate. Barring new production or stumbling across a good used one at the right time, I'll probably wind up with one of the Henry lever rifles at some point. Also barring stumbling across something completely different and having some sort of cash in hand.....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I have an XT22 in 22LR, in the plain hardwood stock. It's a good little utilitarian gun, but I always prefer buying something a little different rather than ten guns the same.... The Marlin tube fed bolt is actually the one I wanted, but seems discontinued. Came in either a nicer walnut stock with better bluing and sights than the XT or a stainless/pepper laminate. Barring new production or stumbling across a good used one at the right time, I'll probably wind up with one of the Henry lever rifles at some point. Also barring stumbling across something completely different and having some sort of cash in hand.....
    My Marlin XT-22 MVSR Magnum (Stainless, 22" heavy 3/4" barrel, synthetic stock, clip fed) has been discontinued as well which is too bad, I know two people that want to buy one after shooting mine. Now their only option is to find used ones, which are like hen's teeth around these parts.
    You gotta wonder why they discontinue nice little rifles like this? I have yet to see the replacement for it.
    Some of the Henry rifles are also very nice, the price is coming down a bit now that the exchange rate has dropped.
    I very well may pick up one of those as well when I see one that tickles my trigger finger.

I have a Henry Frontier model. It's the one with the heavier octagonal barrel. I got rid of the buckhorn abomination sights in favor of a 2-14 scope. It's a 1moa rifle, and with .22mag that's pretty darn good.

Maybe this link will work... Ellwood Epps has a few tube fed 22 WMR from Marlin.

https://ellwoodepps.com/marlin-xt-22mtr.html

If I get another .22mag, it's likely to be either a cz 512(mmmmm 10rds of semi auto 22mag goodness) or one of the pump action henry rifles.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast