Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x upgrade to leupold vx-1 2-7x ?

I've had the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x 40mm on a couple of different rimfire guns, and sometimes blamed the gun, or ammunition, or me for the results.

On a new rimfire gun, I'm getting 3 inch spread at 50 yards from bags, and while I'm no match shooter, I can do better than that.

I noticed while bore sighting the scope (changed rings) it is very difficult to get a perfect view of all of the edge as a sharp circle. I'm thinking my problem is in getting my eyeball into the "eye box" with this scope.

Read a bunch of things about exit pupil, scope reviews, buyer reviews, but can't really see much information comparing one scope against another. All reviews say all scopes are good, you get what you pay for, make sure it is mounted in a natural position for how you hold the gun, and ensure you get enough eye relief for big recoil guns.

There are lots of reviews saying the Simmons scope is great for the money, but few saying in detail what you don't get, other than "quality", whatever that is (yeah, yeah - coatings, special gases, etc).

One amazon reviewer strayed from the rest and said what I had suspected, that it is very difficult to get the eye into the right position with the Simmons 22 Mag model.

Given the way people use rimfires to plink, I don't know if many people (I'm referring to average Canadian Tire customers, not avid shooters like many GOC members) put them on bags at a range and discover the iron sights are not accurate, or their scope is crap. If it is like bowling, it is exciting to finally get a strike and maybe people are happy with that occasional thrill.

I have a Nikon scope on the 223 and it works well enough, but one youtube reviewer showing repeated failures with the O-ring has me wondering if Nikon know more about cameras and optics than the severe environment of repeated concussion. Maybe I won't beat up the scope with the rimfire like a 308 would, but I would take it hunting sometimes.

In another thread on this forum, Leupold and Bushnell Elite were recommended. I'm thinking that could be the way forward, but I want to know there is a real difference to be found before putting out $300+.

One book on scope options for the 10/22 was big on the Leupold 2-7x with 33mm objective. So I'm kinda leaning that way, unless someone can tell me different.

What do I want to do with it? I want to put holes in paper within an inch at 50 yards, and I want it possibly for hunting in eastern woods with opportunities less than 100 yards.

Even if getting a perfect scope eye position is possible with the Simmons, if it takes a minute to do that, it isn't useful for hunting.

Has anyone used the Simmons scope and can compare it with $300+ scopes?

Has anyone noticed that scopes are far cheaper on amazon.com than anything listed in Canada? And they won't ship outside U.S. We get gouged for all firearms stuff, right down to the weaver 48012 tiny rail mount.

I went from a simmons to a nikon rimfire scope and would never ever recommend or buy another simmons scope again.
    I agree with everything you said of it. Eye relief, eye box/horrible - made for the once in a while shooter not someone trying to get the most accuracy out of their rifle.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

firemachine69 (09-20-2017), Rory McCanuck (09-20-2017)

I've got a Simmons Pro-Target on my .22 and have not had a single issue with it yet and I've got around 1000 rounds through it. It has a nice sharp image, windage and elevation work properly and the side parallax works just fine as well. The scope was around 150 and for what it cost, I think it's a great little scope.
    How do I change my signature to something about Bacon?

Put a $60 Simmons scope on a Cooey 600, and yeah, it's worth about $60.
    Picture is reasonably clear, but it's not easy to get the crosshairs in focus at the same time as you get a picture to fill out the scope all the way.

I got a $240 Nikon scope on sale for $180, and it is easily 4x the scope, if not more.
    I'm quite pleased with how clear it is.
    Crosshair adjustments are easy and accurate, and the turrets are easily set to zero.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

Simmons 22Mag scope on a 22Mag. Can not get it sighted in. Thanks for this thread, Now I may have my answer. I paid $99 for it. What crap.

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post

Simmons 22Mag scope on a 22Mag. Can not get it sighted in. Thanks for this thread, Now I may have my answer. I paid $99 for it. What crap.
    If that was me, I'd put a TRS-25 on it. Target acquisition is instant, and its cubic inch displacement is more proportional to the rifle in question.

Having some difficulty finding places that stock a rimfire tuned scope like 2-7x from Leupold. Many 2-7x models for Riflescope variety can be found. Canada is such a sucky place to shop for equipment that isn't a volume seller.

I'm thinking perhaps the Vortex 2-7x rimfire could be the way to go, but it isn't available in any store in my area - would have to take the plunge in mail order. No nearby stores carry a quality rimfire tuned scope, except the Nikon, but not in 2-7x desired.

Vortex Diamondback 2-7x rimfire was suggested in an old thread in another forum (rimfirecentral maybe?)

Bushnell Elite suggested in another thread in this GOC forum is not rimfire tuned parallax. There are Bushnell rimfire models, but they are hard to find listed on any online store and I don't notice them being recommended by anyone when questions like mine are found in web forums.

I'm thinking perhaps the Vortex 2-7x rimfire could be the way to go, but it isn't available in any store in my area - would have to take the plunge in mail order. No nearby stores carry a quality rimfire tuned scope, except the Nikon, but not in 2-7x desired.
    It's not the rimfire version, but the SlugHunter.
    http://www.cabelas.ca/product/32154/...ff-riflescopes
    I got the 2-7x and quite like it, and it's reasonably small.
    I figured the 2 power and small size on the 280 pump would be fine for my stroll through the bush getting to my stand, and once there the 7x would be enough for the 300 or so yards of the open area.
    We'll see how that theory turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by labradort View Post
    If that was me, I'd put a TRS-25 on it. Target acquisition is instant, and its cubic inch displacement is more proportional to the rifle in question.
    Sorry for being a dumb old fart. What is a TRS-25. Is it a holographic sight?

It doesn't matter whether the gun they have is illegal or not they don't care about laws in the first place. You could make every gun illegal and you would still have these guys armed to the teeth it's not laws against guns we need laws against criminals !

It's a Bushnell Red Dot holo sight.
    Real quick to come on target, and I was quite pleasantly suprised at how quick and easy it was to figure it out and get good results.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

ruger#1 (09-21-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast