Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ar15 Gas System

South East from the center of the Universe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    ....I suppose I should stop cleaning my gas keys, then. It really never occurred NOT to, while I'm scraping carbon out of the carrier and off of the bolt.

I probably decoke those bits too often as well.
    ^This is really the basis of the question. Carbon, combustion bi-product coke, caramelized oil/grease that i routinely clean from the bolt and carrier is enough to make one wonder what the hell is going on inside the tube? The 65,000psi comment makes a lot of sense though. The gun never skips a beat, if it ever does, I'll look to replace a) gas rings; b) check tube {restrictions}/replace tube...then maybe c) extractor worn...d) weakening recoil buffer spring?
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
    Sigmund Freud refers to the Irish.

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Gas key you can do a little cleaning, eventually there will be some really caked on stuff in there, it's to the point where you can't even scrape it off by hand.

I used a drill with a tiny drill bit, insert it into the gas key and move it side to side while the drill bit is spinning at a moderate RPM, it works great to break a chunks of carbon that seem welded inside the carrier key, mind you this is only after thousands upon thousands of rounds.

To see if you have any build up, shine a bright flashlight into the gas piston expansion area of the bolt carrier, look into the carrier key and see how much light gets through, if it seems like there's only a pinhole of light you might have a constriction from caked on carbon.

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Booletsnotreactwell

Mark-II (09-23-2017), Plinker 777 (09-22-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12