Exclamation Hornady .308 Win 168 Grain A-Max Ammo Experience

[~Revised~]

Today while shooting my Mossberg MVP, for the first time I tried shooting a box of Hornady A-Max 168 Grain .308 Win ammo, to compare its performance against the Winchester 147 Grain FMJ ammo that I have arbitrarily set as my go-to ammo. Towards the end of the day, after shooting through 4 boxes of the Winchester ammo I switched to the Hornady ammo, and right away I noticed that I was getting much more resistance from the bolt when chambering a round, which is something I have not previously encountered while shooting either of my bolt action rifles.

I also noticed that some rounds in the box were a harder to chamber than others, and when I extracted the rounds that had difficulty chambering, I could see scratches from where the bullet had contacted the rifling.

Anyhow, when I got I measured the overall length on some of my left over ammo out of curiosity. Using a dial caliper I found the Hornady Match ammo was averaging around 2.806" long, while the Winchester ammo, as well as some PMC Bronze 147 Grain FMJ-BT ammo I had, were averaging around 2.785 and 2.795 in length.

When I described the issue to the RO he asked me if it was Hornady .308 ammo, and remarked that other shooters had been having similar experiences with that ammo, adding that he himself had purchased 3 boxes of the same only to find that it wouldn't chamber in his rifle.
    Last edited by joe6167; 09-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

Rory McCanuck (09-22-2017)

.308 has a max case length of 2.015. I'd expect the match ammo to be a bit tighter as it should be more consistent. Make sure the chamber on your rifle is clean.

Bullets touching the rifling isn't a bad thing. Plenty of handloaders set their bullets up so that they are just touching the lands.

I don't think Hornady is going to have anything to say.

You can't exactly judge it by casehead to tip, casehead to ogive would be more accurate.
    I can see threads from 2010 via google that have them loaded even longer.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the info. Next time I'm at the range I'll try them first thing, with a clean chamber instead of after 80 rounds, and see if the lock-up issue clears up at all.

Part of the concern was born when the RO also commented that he had purchased 3 boxes of the stuff only to find that they wouldn't chamber in his own rifle.

I'd suggest keeping your post up(if you still have it), it was good ammo specific data at the very least.
    I'm curious if others had issues.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

JustBen (09-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I'd suggest keeping your post up(if you still have it), it was good ammo specific data at the very least.
    I'm curious if others had issues.
    Ok, I'll try and rephrase it. After I received some insightful, logical answers to my post, I was worried about contributing to FAKE NEWS!

9. The Following User Liked This Post By joe6167

lone-wolf (09-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post
    Ok, I'll try and rephrase it. After I received some insightful, logical answers to my post, I was worried about contributing to FAKE NEWS!
    It's all about learning!

Winchester 147 Grain FMJ ammo is civilian marketed NATO ball. Isn't made for accuracy. Hornady 168 grain A-Maxes are match bullets. It's just going to shoot better.
    "...averaging around 2.806"..." Shouldn't be any averages involved. Max OAL for .308 is 2.800". Measured from the pointy bit to the flat bit with no ogives. Mind you, factory ammo is factory ammo. None of it is as consistent as properly loaded hand loads.

Max OAL is mostly just so it fits in a magazine, it's not a hard and fast rule. I'd be surprised if handloads are even consistent at the tip to flat base. Seating dies don't seat on the tip...