Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milsurp suggestions?

Looking to start collecting older military guns. Any suggestions on what to get as a good starter would be appreciated. I was looking at a Lee Enfield or maybe spending a some extra money and finding a K98. Would it be worth it to find one online or should I start looking around gun shops? Also I am unsure about ammo availability for some of these. I understand I can hand load them but that is something I still need to become more familiar with.

Start with some Russians.
    They're the most affordable.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Dewey Cox

Rory McCanuck (11-14-2017)

You can still get a great deal on some South American Mausers. Some are built by FN, Steyr or Mauser itself, great top notch examples of the Mauser 98 without the steep German price tag....
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

I had an itch for a Lee-Enfield so the first milsurp I acquired was a Long Branch. Not cheap to shoot any more unless you reload, but sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch...

Rasheed
    Vz52/57
    Cz858
    SKS-D
    Type 81
    SVT-40

Mosin Nagant. That way you can bayonet the better apples from higher up in the tree.

8. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Bubba Yugga

DasMauser (11-14-2017), Dewey Cox (11-13-2017), Rory McCanuck (11-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by NPal View Post
    Looking to start collecting older military guns. Any suggestions on what to get as a good starter would be appreciated. I was looking at a Lee Enfield or maybe spending a some extra money and finding a K98. Would it be worth it to find one online or should I start looking around gun shops? Also I am unsure about ammo availability for some of these. I understand I can hand load them but that is something I still need to become more familiar with.
    A lee enfield is a great place to start. By far the coolest milsurp in my opinion. I will probably die of old age with one. 303 is a reloader's caliber. Buying is about 30 bucks for 20

Nothing wrong with a k98 except finding ammo. I don't even know where to look to find it. I would try to find a .308 conversion because will exist until we switch to laser. Israel, Chillie, and Spain have 308 conversions

k31 are still around but you might want to get on it cause they don't last and the ammo is still around. Keep that brass since the supply will disappear at some point. Very cool guns, weird to use in my opinion but I hear they are deadly accurate

Mosins are starting to go up in price. might want to snap one while they cost too much more. Ammo is not around as much as it once was but its out there

SVT 40s are going fast as well and are very cool. Great way to laugh at americans cause the SVT is like finding a unicorn for them.

These are your main milsurps. I would buy the one that you think is coolest that is not super common. Unless its and enfield, always rescue an enfield.

I would definitely start with a regular boring SKS and a crate of ammo. You can't get that kind of fun to price ratio in anything!

Sure they're a pain if you want to take care of them and clean them thoroughly after every outing. However after running 500 rounds through mine, I'm noticing that the action is starting to become ultra smooth!

Also if someone at the store tells you not to buy a particular one because the action seems to stick half way back, it's because they put the bolt carrier spring in backwards. If you think you see rust, try scraping it with your fingernail, it's probably grease.

7.62x39 ammo is going to be around a very long time.

I'm also tempted to pick something up in 7.5x55 since I believe it was still being produced and stockpiled until very recently.

Lee Enfields have a fantastic action that are a pleasure to use, however there isn't any more milsurp ammo for them.

"...ammo availability for some of these..." Far better than it used to be. Isn't that long ago that the options for stuff like 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 54R was Norma or nothing.
    Anyway, you need to decide on how much you want to and can afford to spend. The days of milsurps being cheap are long gone.
    7.5x55 Swiss from Prvi runs $30 per 20 from Marstar. This one is the classic example of how daft military cartridge names are. Swiss, yes. 7.5mm bullet, no. It uses a .308" bullet just like 7.62NATO and .30-06, among others. 7.62 x 39 or 54R, on the other hand, do not. They use a .311" bullet. Don't try to figure out why though. That'll give you brain damage. It's something you just need to know.
    Oh and .303 British uses a .311" bullet sometimes too. Those rifles require you to slug the barrels as they varied in barrel groove diameters out of the factory. .303" and 7.62mm are the nominal bore diameters. That's the diameter of the hole that got drilled before rifling. All this stuff can be found in books and on some web sites. Start in your public library.

Ok thanks guys so it might be better to start cheap before they do go up in price that way I save some money and time in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast