Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    Shouldn't the question be why are ARs and AKs restricted or prohibited based on name rather then technical standards applied to most firearms. Attempting to find logic in Canadian firearms laws is an exercise in futility

Are you upset this new firearm isn't being properly classified?

It should be but that could go two ways...

It could end up un-restricting/de-prohibiting almost everything because almost every banned firearm in the FA actually has a non-restricted cousin that operates the exact same way, G3 and the SL7, AR15 and AR10, Valmet and AK, etc...

OR

If they actually classified based on the technical standards of how a firearm operates then all these "loopholes" as I like to call them wouldn't exist. AR10, AR18B, AR this that, they would just look at the core patents much like the courts do when interpreting a case on patent infringement and if enough of the "banned" design is present in some other design you're trying to submit they would consider it a variant.

Which way do you think they would want it to go?

So you would only be left with weird one off semi-auto designs, like maybe a Browning BAR 2017, and bolt actions only.

Funny, any non-res of mine they prohib will be sold to that mike guy before hand.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

3. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

Booletsnotreactwell (11-13-2017), infidel29 (08-03-2018), khmerog (02-12-2019), Swampdonkey (11-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Booletsnotreactwell View Post
    It should be but that could go two ways...

It could end up un-restricting/de-prohibiting almost everything because almost every banned firearm in the FA actually has a non-restricted cousin that operates the exact same way, G3 and the SL7, AR15 and AR10, Valmet and AK, etc...

OR

If they actually classified based on the technical standards of how a firearm operates then all these "loopholes" as I like to call them wouldn't exist. AR10, AR18B, AR this that, they would just look at the core patents much like the courts do when interpreting a case on patent infringement and if enough of the "banned" design is present in some other design you're trying to submit they would consider it a variant.

Which way do you think they would want it to go?

So you would only be left with weird one off semi-auto designs, like maybe a Browning BAR 2017, and bolt actions only.

The technical classifications I was referring to http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/clas-eng.htm

These specs are based on barrel length,overall length, discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner.

The demo model they showed in first post looks pretty cool. (I'd prefer the black over the gold colour... but that hand rail and grip looks pretty nice.) Since it's multi-calibre I look forward to seeing what the others are when they come out. (If it's not crazy expensive I'd love to have one of these rifles. But I'd rather get it in a calibre aside from .223.)

Of course you probably would have to comply to what is a NR. AKA 18.5" barrel, over 26 OAL.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Of course you probably would have to comply to what is a NR. AKA 18.5" barrel, over 26 OAL.
    SFRC is wondering if people are interested in 18.6" 556 ar15 barrels
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Always against the grain Booletsnotreactwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ESnel View Post
    The technical classifications I was referring to http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/clas-eng.htm

These specs are based on barrel length,overall length, discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner.
    Same deal, they'll never do that because following that would de-restrict and un-prohibit everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    SFRC is wondering if people are interested in 18.6" 556 ar15 barrels
    SFRC should go for 20", 18" is some us socom stuff they made so that with a suppressor the gun isn't too long.

COOL.

Same deal, they'll never do that because following that would de-restrict and un-prohibit everything.
    How so? Pistols would remain restricted unless barrel length puts them in the prohibited category. The only reclassification would be .32ACP pistols would no longer be prohibited based on caliber. Automatic firearms still continue to be prohibited.

The big one would be AR and variants that meet the overall length and minimum barrel length would now be non-restricted

SFRC should go for 20", 18" is some us socom stuff they made so that with a suppressor the gun isn't too long.
    What?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast