Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hornady's new cartridge 6.5 PRC

I see Hornady has been at it again with another 6.5 cartridge called the 6.5 PRC. Not a lot of info such as who is chambering for this one, supposed to get more velocity than the creedmore. Hornady sounds so optimistic in the video it makes you want to drop everything and buy one. I do like the 6.5 caliber rifles but still want to do more work with my swede before I start another project. Time will tell if this one takes off or not.

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By road kill

gtr (11-21-2017), kennymo (02-09-2019), Rory McCanuck (11-21-2017), Waterloomike (11-21-2017)

Banned
    I have a 6.5 MS that works well. Always seems to be a new one.

I went back to Hornady's web site and got a little more info. 6 companys are chambering for this round, not your kitchen variety outfits for sure. They are claiming 2910 fps muzzle with a 147gr ELD bullet compared to 2695 fps muzzle for the Creedmoor with the same bullet.

Another answer to an unasked question.
    "...Rifle makers currently chambering the 6.5 PRC include GA Precision, Gunwerks, Horizon Firearms, PROOF Research, Stuteville Precision and Seekins Precision...." Who? Never heard of any of 'em. You can bet none of 'em sell in Canada either.
    Stuteville Precision's rifles, for instance, start at 4 grand US. PROOF Research's hunting rifle, starts at $6,490USD.

So how is this going to compared to their new 6mm Creedmoor round?

I think they want to compete with Lapua's 6.5x47. I don't see it taking off.

this is only another ''custom round''' to sell more cartrige!! hornady is very good at this.

while it might get some attention in the usa, meaning some gear freaks are goin to walk into custom builds to work the new round, i don't see it lift off a feet from the ground ; we will see some in the open class LR competitions , maybe some loaded people will get a build or 2 in the safe...that's it.

on top of that sure enough one will have to reload or buy off the shelf hornady ammo at a premium. i just don't see the appeal of a comparable pea flying at + 300 fps than the creedmore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

I'm seeing this cartridge gaining ground already. Ruger and Savage are on board. Montana Rifle Company and Christensen Arms, both available in Canada. Probably a few more. Ammo and brass available at big box stores and small online dealers. The 6.5 Creed is the top selling cartridge right now and this is like a Creed magnum! Naysay all you want but the gunmakers are giving the shooting public what it wants. The 6.5x284 was never standardized properly and never will be. This PRC is a ballistic twin and might suprise you with its popularity.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Gunmunkey

Rory McCanuck (02-09-2019), ruger#1 (03-24-2019)

The latest Complete Book of Reloading has an article about it, Sizzling Six.Five
    A pretty good read, and he's getting some great performance out of it.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I think you will have to go a Long way to find any round to beat the 6.5 x55 Swedish Mauser.
    Yes, some rounds are faster, but fast is not everything, and the Swedish round can do the rest.

Best,
    Richard.

13. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By P-B.

Rory McCanuck (02-15-2019), ruger#1 (03-24-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast