Why Factory 8x57 ammo generally SUCKS

Not all factory 8X57 ammo is good

I've had similar experiences when shooting my K98.

With the PPU 8mm Mauser FMJ 198gr my shots were always going about 6" low. I worked out that I had to raise the rear sight to about the 500 meter setting to zero the rifle at 100 yards (and 650 at 200m, just like you!)

I switched to S&B FMJ and SPCE, which I'm guessing are loaded closer to the original military specs, and now all of my shots are at least 6" high @ 100 yards* (and even 200 yards!). I haven't been able to prove it, but I have a suspicion the rifle [A Yugoslav rework] may have been zeroed for 300 yards (when using military issue ammo).

*so that is a combined difference in POI of over 12" @ 100yards between the S&B and this strain of PPU ammo!!

Heh, I shot my Mauser for the first time in a year a few weeks ago with the S&B ammo, and I guess I've grown soft shooting .308 and 7.62x51 over the past year, because, man, she STUNG! And I even had a light bruise on my shoulder a few days later. Whereas in 2016 I put over 600 rounds through her and didn't really perceive to be that "bad".

Going back to PPU for a moment, if you browse their website you will find that they list TWO different types of Mauser Ammo: "8mm Mauser" (which is all I've been able to find in Canada) AND "8 x 57 JS". Comparing the specs on the two, the ammo marked 8x57 JS has higher velocities listed, but I haven't been able to find any of this PPU 8 x 57 JS sold in Canada.

Do you think you could track down a box of the mythical PPU 8x57 JS and put it through its paces?
    Last edited by joe6167; 11-30-2017 at 11:39 PM.

I'd sure like to find some - I've never seen it.
    I'm sure Shawn at the 314299 channel probably has

Quote Originally Posted by joe6167 View Post
    I've had similar experiences when shooting my K98.

With the PPU 8mm Mauser FMJ 198gr my shots were always going about 6" low. I worked out that I had to raise the rear sight to about the 500 meter setting to zero the rifle at 100 yards (and 650 at 200m, just like you!)

I switched to S&B FMJ and SPCE, which I'm guessing are loaded closer to the original military specs, and now all of my shots are at least 6" high @ 100 yards* (and even 200 yards!). I haven't been able to prove it, but I have a suspicion the rifle [A Yugoslav rework] may have been zeroed for 300 yards (when using military issue ammo).

*so that is a combined difference in POI of over 12" @ 100yards between the S&B and this strain of PPU ammo!!

Heh, I shot my Mauser for the first time in a year a few weeks ago with the S&B ammo, and I guess I've grown soft shooting .308 and 7.62x51 over the past year, because, man, she STUNG! And I even had a light bruise on my shoulder a few days later. Whereas in 2016 I put over 600 rounds through her and didn't really perceive to be that "bad".

Going back to PPU for a moment, if you browse their website you will find that they list TWO different types of Mauser Ammo: "8mm Mauser" (which is all I've been able to find in Canada) AND "8 x 57 JS". Comparing the specs on the two, the ammo marked 8x57 JS has higher velocities listed, but I haven't been able to find any of this PPU 8 x 57 JS sold in Canada.

Do you think you could track down a box of the mythical PPU 8x57 JS and put it through its paces?