Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPAL

RPAL

it seems you now have to include a picture of your range/club membership when renewing your license if you own handguns. Got a renewal notice in Sept, duly sent in on Oct 2, they cashed my cheque on Oct 26 and then just waited until Dec 4 to send me the notice, got it the day my license expired, went to local office and nice young lady said she would expedite my application, I may have it first week of 2018 just in time to have missed all the xmas/boxing day sales. fortunately there's a 6 month grace period before they can start criminal proceedings or I would of had to move my guns to buddy's safe

Yes, unfortunately it seems we (the client) have to call them periodically to get information out of them that one would expect them to notify us of. Sadly your story seems to be par for the course.
    Spread the word on petition e-2341 (Democratic process). Send people to http://oneclearvoice.ca which takes them directly to the petition.

Weird. They didn't ask me for a club membership card in Ontario and I renewed in the summer...
    Remember High River!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By Neil Burke

DBenn (12-13-2017)

Sounds like a local thing. Unelected civil servants making up their own rules. And none of 'em are in any hurry or employed to make your life easier.
    "...missed all the X-Mas/boxing day sales..." Most shops will hold whatever you buy until your licence is renewed. Ask 'em.

I know my buddy just got his renewed this year in Alberta. They did ask for his club membership, but told him if he could not provide it the would move his restricted to collector status and he would not be able to transport anymore unless obtaining a short term ATT. Got to love laws open to interpretation. The guys behind the counter at Cabelas seem to think that if your club membership expires the cops will be at your house to take them away the next day.
    "Canadians expend about half a billion rounds of ammunition per year (ammunition import statistics). If guns are the cause of homicide, we're missing 99.9999992% of the time." from Range Bob

I did mine online last winter and had the exact same experience as the OP. I called when the status on the web site didn't change forever, they told me they needed my range membership (faxed, not scanned and emailed, cuz the '90's ROCK), a week later i got the notice in the mail, about a week before my PAL expired.
    Madness is like gravity, all it takes is a little push

from what I can figure out, when the law changed in 2015 to attach ATT to RPAL, you now have to show visible proof of club/range membership if you own restricted/prohibited weapons and grace period is 90 days, not 6 months as I earlier thought. you can snail mail as well as fax for those who live in a cave

Sounds like it's a west thing. Ontario probably has my name on file as part of a club list that gets submitted. But I don't recall ever personally sending them proof of club membership.
    Remember High River!

10. The Following User Liked This Post By Neil Burke

DBenn (12-13-2017)

Ah, No, it is not a west thing. I think it would be more of a club verses range. Or simply the mgt of the club/range.
    I renewed my range membership in Aug, they faxed the doc to the CFO. When I spoke to the CFO, about my Rpal renewal in Sept, the lady mentioned that my range membership was on file and told me to submit the Rpal renewal asap. So I did & received the new Rpal, 66 days later. 3 days before expiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Burke View Post
    Sounds like it's a west thing. Ontario probably has my name on file as part of a club list that gets submitted. But I don't recall ever personally sending them proof of club membership.
    Ditto. I've never needed to show proof. I just gave the club name. That's it. Mind you, our club exec makes the arrangements for our ATTs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast