Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Would they ok if they had a rivet?

Seriously, how many extra people are stabbed in a year because the blade can be opened in 1/4 second rather than 1 second?
    I'm sure this will save all the children, probably the whales too.

The CBSA must be quite proud of themselves for keeping civilisation safe from the hordes.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

2. The Following 11 Users Like This Post By Rory McCanuck

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Attilathecanuk (01-08-2018), chrisc (01-07-2018), FallisCowboy (01-07-2018), Frank@NorthTrail (01-08-2018), Gunexpert007 (01-08-2018), Hidyn (06-08-2018), mtlgun (01-08-2018), Sadosubliminal (01-09-2018), Scotlas (01-08-2018), shortandlong (01-07-2018), Sinbad (01-07-2018)

Decided that being pink is in
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    Would they ok if they had a rivet?

Seriously, how many extra people are stabbed in a year because the blade can be opened in 1/4 second rather than 1 second?
    I'm sure this will save all the children, probably the whales too.

The CBSA must be quite proud of themselves for keeping civilisation safe from the hordes.
    Of course they are proud; can't let the RCMP get all the credit for saving everything and everybody. Time to seriously dial back the bureaucracy in this country.
    They are so worried about pocket knives yet these are ok: sword cane.jpg I can draw this faster than my pocket knife. "The stupid is strong in CBSA".
    Last edited by FallisCowboy; 01-07-2018 at 05:37 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FallisCowboy

Gunexpert007 (01-08-2018), Sadosubliminal (01-09-2018), shortandlong (01-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FallisCowboy View Post
    Of course they are proud; can't let the RCMP get all the credit for saving everything and everybody. Time to seriously dial back the bureaucracy in this country.
    They are so worried about pocket knives yet these are ok: sword cane.jpg I can draw this faster than my pocket knife.
    sword cane = concealed weapon - alright maybe. Open knife carry = illegal too... what

CHARLOTETOWN, P.E.I. -- Police on Prince Edward Island have charged a New Brunswick biker with carrying a concealed weapon -- a sword cane.

The 59-year-old member of the Bacchus Motorcycle Club was arrested on Saturday.

Cpl. Andy Cook said the charges stemmed from surveillance at the Atlantic Confederation of Clubs and Independents meeting in Charlottetown on Jan. 21.

The cane was spotted as police looked through photos and videos they took of attendees, said Cook.

"We noted what became clear to us what was not a cane but a cane sword. It's very distinct, the item that we're talking about here," he said.

Cook noted other bikers at the meeting openly wore fixed-blade knives on their belts, and warned they could also be charged if they do it again.

Their legal research suggests police have grounds to lay weapons charges in such cases, he said.

"One group in particular from out of province seems to bring knives all the time when they come to parties and events. Bringing a knife into a bar in the middle of winter, visibly wearing it on your belt, I see no legal reason for someone to have that," Cook said.

"To me, that's for intimidation purposes and I think you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise."

Premier Wade MacLauchlan said in January that his government is looking at legislative and regulatory amendments to stem the expansion of certain biker gangs that have moved into the Island in recent months.

Last December, members affiliated with the Hells Angels chapter from Woodbridge, Ont., held a party in Charlottetown to celebrate the establishment of a new so-called hangaround club there.

There are now eight Island bikers with hangaround status with the Hells Angels.

Cook, the RCMP's outlaw motorcycle gang co-ordinator on the Island, said P.E.I. is already home to two chapters of the rival Bacchus Motorcycle Club.

P.E.I. police forces have formed an Organized Crime Task Force, and Cook said their focus is on the criminality within the groups.

"We don't want to see it develop here as it has in other provinces. I've worked in British Columbia, I've worked in Ontario, and I've seen what can happen with outlaw motorcycle gangs, with the drug trafficking and the violence that comes with it," he said Tuesday.

The 59-year-old Bacchus member is charged with possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and carrying a concealed weapon. He is to appear in Charlottetown provincial court in May.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    sword cane = concealed weapon - alright maybe. Open knife carry = illegal too... what
    I have actually seen legal information that a sword cane is not considered to be "concealed" under the law, since a cane is already a potential weapon and as we all know charges by police do not make something law. Also a sword cane is too long to fall under the definition for a fixed blade knife.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By FallisCowboy

Gaidheal (01-17-2018)

I can’t wait to see this on an episode of “border security “

Quote Originally Posted by Drache View Post
    They aren't illegal jusy prohibited to import. Oh and don't leave the country with it
    Once again, don't take legal advice off the internet.

The cbsa has changed their interpretation of existing laws... now one must ask oneself if the rcmp is using the same interpretation. Couple that with your chances of having a cop dig though your pockets ...

I never understood why switchblades need to be illegal.
    It’s a knife. Who cares if it opens slightly faster. By that reasoning, shouldn’t a fixed blade knife be even more dangerous, because the blade is always out and ready for stabbin’?
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

DanN (01-16-2018), Gaidheal (01-17-2018), Sadosubliminal (01-09-2018)

Copied from the Canadian Criminal Law Notebook:

Part 3 of the Schedule, Prohibited Weapons, Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 8 states:

PART 3
    Prohibited Weapons
    Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 1
    10. Any device having a length of less than 30 cm and resembling an innocuous object but designed to conceal a knife or blade, including the device commonly known as the “knife-comb”, being a comb with the handle of the comb forming a handle for the knife, and any similar device.
    The mens rea for offences regarding prohibited weapons, it need only be proven that either knowledge or recklessness with respect to the characteristics of the knife in question which, in fact, makes it a prohibited weapon.[2]

Note that a sword cane is certainly longer than 30cm, therefore is not prohibited by this definition. It then becomes what the person was doing with it at the time that would qualify it as a "weapon". Quietly walking down the street, as someone who needs to use a cane does not qualify. Drawing it in public, even just to show it to someone probably does.
    Last edited by FallisCowboy; 01-07-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FallisCowboy View Post
    It then becomes what the person was doing with it at the time that would make it a "weapon".
    PEI. Where the laws don't matter, and the charges are made up.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

Aptet aut mori

14. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

chrisc (01-07-2018), Dewey Cox (01-07-2018), FallisCowboy (01-07-2018), Gaidheal (01-17-2018), Hidyn (06-08-2018), Rory McCanuck (01-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    PEI. Where the laws don't matter, and the charges are made up.
    Yes, and that is not just confined to PEI, it seems to becoming more common all the time across Canada. Our laws were not well written by legislators who could not even imagine (old school) how they would be interpreted, applied, and abused by the Police or really did not care (new age). Hence the invention of "punishment by process"; Police and Crown Prosecutors with absolutely no accountability for abusive application of the law. This is why there is no such thing as "Justice" in Canada anymore; we now have a legal industry, that generates revenue for the government and keeps the plebes in fear, plain and simple.

Same thing applies to the fixed blade knives on their belts. If you are in the woods...no problem; at a biker rally......a whole new game.

From the same Canadian Criminal Law Notebook:

Proof of a weapon that can be opened by centrifugal force may be proven by way of the officer's demonstration.

So, keep the hinge bolt snug.
    Last edited by FallisCowboy; 01-07-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast